Home Pipes

Complete newbie

RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I’m thinking of dabbling in pipe smoking, but my wife hates the idea. Her father smoked a pipe and she hated the smell. Can you guys suggest a style of pipe for a beginner and perhaps a tobacco that would suit a beginner?

Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

Definitely need to find out what her Dad's tobacco was.

Silvermouse's suggestion about the corn cob is a good one. They smoke well, and are cheap, so if you don't like it you're not out big $ for something you won't use. If you decide you do like it, there are many many options from $40 up to $1700 and more.

Really good pipes can be had from $90 to $200. And, unlike a $200 box of cigars, 10 years from now you'll still be loading that pipe up for about a dollar or so, depending on your tastes.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the name Cavendish on his ziplock bags.

Roland
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rolanddeschain I see P&C has bulk blends on sale which would be a great place to start. Pick up a few different variety’s and see what you like. Also I would start with a few different cobs because they are cheap and if there is any “ghosting” from the tobacco it won’t ruin future experiences.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

@Rolanddeschain you can pick up a Missouri Meerschaum cob at Smoking P for less than $10

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd recommend TobaccoPipes or SmokingPipes over the Pipes & Cigars site.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

@Yakster said:
    I'd recommend TobaccoPipes or SmokingPipes over the Pipes & Cigars site.

Only recommended due to the current sale but I agree the other sites are my go to’s....

• RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the info! I’m still on the fence but......

Roland

@Rolanddeschain said:
    Thanks for all the info! I’m still on the fence but......

I think he's saying he needs a push.

??? Is it just me???

Could it be??

Or should we all just forget about it and go eat nachos...?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

@Rolanddeschain , Check out Pipes & Cigars, Stanwell Brushed Black Rustica's on sale for under $30!! I've got two, smoke like a dream. This is a chance to get a quality briar CHEAP.

Just sayin'