Home General Discussion

Ever experienced a No Cigar Phase?

BullSquatchBullSquatch Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been smoking cigars for about 7-8 years, however here lately (last 1-2 months), I really haven't had a craving or "hankering" (southern slang) for sticks. I am usually a morning and post dinner smoker. I find it odd. Anyone else experience seasons of life where you don't involve or crave cigars? Just in the last week or so, I have gotten back to my normal smoke routine. Cheers!

"Some people meditate, I smoke cigars." - Ron Perlman
"...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon
Two Time Cigar Lottery Winner

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely. Maybe a few years ago, for whatever reason I just didnt have the time or interest to smoke a lot. Im usually at 1 a day, on most days. But there was a while where it was one every month or 2. That lasted maybe 9 months or a year.

But then I got back into it. I do tend to smoke less when it's cold too, but that wont stop me if I really want a cigar.

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had this happen either because I'm busy or just burnt out on cigars, but the lull usually only lasts a week or so. Usually that first cigar after a brief hiatus is fantastic.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah. Once went 40 years without one.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.

@VegasFrank said:
    Yeah. Once went 40 years without one.

Yeah, I guess I quit for almost 20 years when I started a family. Forgot about that.

• MrShrekMrShrek Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes, like lately, I just get too damn busy to slow down long enough to enjoy a stick. That's also when I find myself off of the forum too. All that to say, I need to slow down, enjoy a stick and hangout with you fine folks more.

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in one right now. Dam fire smoke is back with a vengeance! Haven't had a cigar in a week. Probably won't until Friday night. Too smokey and I've been a bit wheezey. I have had plenty of other cigar hiatuses as well for various reasons (sick, burnt out, no time, lack of comfortable space to smoke, simply didn't feel like it). Just gives your stock extra resting/aging time, depending on duration of pause.

Right now I couldn't see it, too much down time with covid. I'm really enjoying my cigars these days and plan to smoke more than usual during the next six months or until things return to normal; whenever that is. Cigars are My respite right now.

• VisionVision Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m going thru one right now. No literally. I’m not allowed to smoke when trying to go to bed.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m like @CAcigarguy007 in that I won’t go outside to have a stogie because of all the smoke and ash in the air around here and it’s darned near impossible to enjoy a cigar while wearing one of those fershlugginer masks... 😷😷🙄🙄

• TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't been able to smoke since having Covid-19 over 6 weeks ago. Wondering when.

• TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

jlmarta stay safe Brother.

@TruDog said:
    Haven't been able to smoke since having Covid-19 over 6 weeks ago. Wondering when.

Hopefully soon, brother.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been going through a bout with no cigars for a while lately.
    Oh wait, that's cause the boss lady says I couldn't until this week, because of the heart attack.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mild cigars are good for you. They helped George Burns live almost forever. Feel better, Tony.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

About to hit a 30 day no smoke, hell month. Not looking forward to it. :'(

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          

@TruDog said:

Sucks man. Sorry to hear.

edited October 2020

Sober October?

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last year I went over 6 months without one or any nicotine, hence my absence from the forum then. Health problems suck!

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

My hiatus was medical for my operation a year ago. I had to stop weeks before and several weeks after not to impede healing.

My surgeon told me that as a doctor he couldn't tell me it was OK to smoke cigars but then he said, enjoy one every so often. I always take my doctor's advice.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

I smoked and drank up to my surgery, 2 weeks in the hospital allowed me to quit cigarettes and I haven’t had the same taste for alcohol since. On the last surgery I did the same and had a cigar about 7 days after.

On infusion days and the following few days I didn’t smoke as I discovered it messed with my taste buds.

• Oyam123Oyam123 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

The good thing is cigars don’t go bad, and they also make great gifts.

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YankeeMan said:
    My hiatus was medical for my operation a year ago. I had to stop weeks before and several weeks after not to impede healing.

My surgeon told me that as a doctor he couldn't tell me it was OK to smoke cigars but then he said, enjoy one every so often. I always take my doctor's advice.

This is real talk. I would suggest a month before and two months after. I had something similar a few years ago and didn't listen. Glue came undone, wound split, complete disaster. Had to clean and pack daily for a three extra months. I won't ever make that mistake again. Surgery and nicotine don't mix. Not worth it.

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Since I only smoke outside, I generally only light up when it's at least 55 degrees, otherwise my stogies tend to go out too quickly. Which essentially means my smoking season starts in mid-April and ends in (if lucky) the first week of November. Even during this time I don't smoke more than two per week. I consider the winter months to be my "aging" season for newly bought sticks.

@raisindot said:
    Since I only smoke outside, I generally only light up when it's at least 55 degrees, otherwise my stogies tend to go out too quickly. Which essentially means my smoking season starts in mid-April and ends in (if lucky) the first week of November. Even during this time I don't smoke more than two per week. I consider the winter months to be my "aging" season for newly bought sticks.

How the heck are ya raisindot!

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

Hee hee. Doing okay, @Vision. Cautiously treading targeted areas of the forum waters again after a four-year sabbatical thanks to some kind words of encouragement from @Amos_Umwhat.

I'm lucky to live in California, when it drops below 55 F I fire up the patio heater and I don't have to deal with that pesky white stuff on the ground.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@raisindot said:

There's a cigar lounge in the North End I've walked by a couple times. It's downstairs of some sort of restaurant or market. Never been in, though. Was always touristing with the wife and kid. May be worth checking out.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:

@raisindot said:

There's a cigar lounge in the North End I've walked by a couple times. It's downstairs of some sort of restaurant or market. Never been in, though. Was always touristing with the wife and kid. May be worth checking out.

If you go touristing around Boston, you’ve probably already tried the Union Oyster House. If not, it’s a must-do thing. My child bride and I had lunch there one year while we were up in that corner of the country doing the fall colors.

It was too late, but when we were leaving the restaurant we found out we could have asked to be seated at JFK’s favorite table. Oh, well, ...... 😎