Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Evaluating Aged Cigars

2»

Comments

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

I love this idea. I think we're kind of in the same boat: Went nuts years ago, stocking up on good cigars and then kinda fell off for a bit and now have lots of great, aged cigars and a few duds that didn't age so well.

I recently dug around and found a Padilla 1932 Salomon LE that was fantastic but haven't been made in years and are impossible to find. A Camacho PE that has absolutely stuck around (still have a few more and those are still available). A Tat M80 that is still kick you in the stomach strong but not quite as much as it used to be and is still smoking like a peppery champ. I've also burned a few 5-8 year old Opus in the last year or so and while they've mellowed a bit, those sticks take really well to age.

I'm not totally surprised the GoF didn't wow you. Those were mild sticks in the first place. I still have a few Carlitos left. I believe at least one 05 and as much as I want to enjoy it, I know it's going to be VERY mild. It'll be a summer morning, coffee with cream and a donut kind of cigar. Otherwise, it'll taste like burning paper.

Keep these coming, man. I may have to dig around to see what I can pull to send you for review.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rob1110 said:
    I love this idea. I think we're kind of in the same boat: Went nuts years ago, stocking up on good cigars and then kinda fell off for a bit and now have lots of great, aged cigars and a few duds that didn't age so well.

I recently dug around and found a Padilla 1932 Salomon LE that was fantastic but haven't been made in years and are impossible to find. A Camacho PE that has absolutely stuck around (still have a few more and those are still available). A Tat M80 that is still kick you in the stomach strong but not quite as much as it used to be and is still smoking like a peppery champ. I've also burned a few 5-8 year old Opus in the last year or so and while they've mellowed a bit, those sticks take really well to age.

I'm not totally surprised the GoF didn't wow you. Those were mild sticks in the first place. I still have a few Carlitos left. I believe at least one 05 and as much as I want to enjoy it, I know it's going to be VERY mild. It'll be a summer morning, coffee with cream and a donut kind of cigar. Otherwise, it'll taste like burning paper.

Keep these coming, man. I may have to dig around to see what I can pull to send you for review.

I absolutely will. I’m going to revive this in the spring with maybe a little different rating system and more detail on the flavor of the cigar. I enjoy picking out the stick wondering how this is going to play out. Thanks Rob.