Home Cigar 101
Options

Little melted beads

EllenJEllenJ Posts: 14

Never saw these before. This is far and away my favorite cigar, ever, but...
WTF are they?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flavor crystals

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Secret ingredient for the little blue pills.... 😜😜

• Options

@Deadman yup! That's it exactly. Reminds me of a panic-y fifteen mile drive in the middle of the night to the nearest emergency avian veteranarian with a desparately ill budgie, hard little growths emerging willie-nilly all over the poor creature, only to find she was just molting. New feathers coming in, for those of you not familiar with birds (as were m'wife and I back then). Anyway, thanks Deadman et al.

• Options

@Deadman, ShawnOL, et al,
    That's funny (yes, I remember flavor beads or buds or crystals, or whatever) but it also touches on a real area of concern. I really like these cigars and I got to thinking, "I really like Cuervo Gold, too. And Montezuma Blue. And I know what those are made of". Are there actually any legal restrictions on what can be added or sprayed on the tobacco; you know, like flavor enhancers and stuff like that?" 'all natural' doesn't necessarily mean the same thing in Nicaragua as it does in the USA. In fact, comforting statements like that often don't mean what we might be expected to believe here at home, either, ifyaknowwhattamean.

I do believe the beads are as have been explained here. And I'm not really so paranoid as to think major world-class tobacco producers, with reputations to maintain, would do such things (despite that only federal regulations prevent whiskey bottlers from doing what was once normal procedure for "top-shelf" whiskey). Does anyone happen to have, on any authority other than the tobacconists' or merchants' own claims or "well, everyone knows..." just what is and isn't allowed?
    Just askin'

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Table 1: Pesticides Commonly Used on Domestic Tobacco, 1990-98
    Primary use(s) Pesticide
    Insecticide Acephate, aldicarb, Bacillus thuringiensis, carbaryl,
    carbofuran, chlorpyrifos, diazinon, disulfoton,
    endosulfan, ethoprop, fenamiphos, fonofos,
    imidacloprid, malathion, methidathion, methomyl,
    spinosad, trichlorfon
    Herbicide Benefin, clomazone, diphenamid, isopropalin,
    napropamide, pebulate, pendimethalin, sethoxydim,
    sulfentrazone
    Fungicide Dimethomorph, mancozeb, mefenoxam, metalaxyl
    Plant growth regulator Ethephon, flumetralin
    Plant growth regulator, herbicide Maleic hydrazide
    Fumigant, insecticide Chloropicrin
    Fumigant, insecticide, herbicide Methyl bromide
    Fungicide, insecticide, herbicide 1,3-dichloropropene (1,3-D)
    Source: EPA, International Organization for Standardization, National Center for Food and Agricultural Policy, and USDA.
    Note: GAO’s analysis of EPA, International Organization for Standardization, National Center for
    Food and Agricultural Policy, and USDA data.

https://www.gao.gov/new.items/d03485.pdf

What Foliar Insecticides Are Recommended for Tobacco in 2017?

https://tobacco.ces.ncsu.edu/2016/12/what-foliar-insecticides-are-recommended-for-tobacco-in-2017/

"EPA has concluded that low levels of residues in tobacco smoke do not pose short-term health concerns requiring mitigation. EPA does not assess intermediate or long-term risks to smokers because of the severity of health effects linked to use of tobacco products themselves. While EPA regulates the specific pesticides that may be used on tobacco and other crops and specifies how the pesticides may be used, it does not otherwise regulate residues of pesticides approved for use on tobacco."

https://www.gao.gov/assets/240/237654.pdf