Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Dangerous jobs.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

My son read this article
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/27/the-10-most-dangerous-jobs-in-america-according-to-bls-data.html
He said "Dad, they list logging and commercial fishing as the top 2 most dangerous jobs, you worked in logging for a long time and commercial fishing for years with Grandpa, would you say they are the top 2 dangerous jobs?"

My answer, I'd say soldier, police, firemen and first responders are the most dangerous jobs.
He hadn't thought of it that way.
It seems it is all in perspective.

Anyone think of more dangerous jobs?

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    Shaner9erShaner9er Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

post office.. you never know when someone is going to lose it and go in there and well go postal...

• Options

@Shaner9er said:
    post office.. you never know when someone is going to lose it and go in there and well go postal...

I'd have figured you would have said comedian.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience named them pretty well if you ask me. I was a Soldier for 20 years, State Officer for 2, but in my mind Correctional Officers have the most dangerous job. They go behind the wall daily for 8 plus hours with people deemed to be too dangerous to be out in society

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited October 2020

I would say, having worked crabbers in Bristol Bay and the Bering Sea and worked logging, that Alaska Crabbing should be #1 and logging #2.

The difference is, in the Bering Sea, there are dangers while you sleep. Logging you go to sleep in a nice safe bed.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

After 30 years in law enforcement, I realized that you can't print enough money to pay corrections officers for what they do. I'll chase a guy down an alley with a gun any day. Don't ask me to work on a tier.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

Farming's not so great either.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've lost family members that were killed logging, so I'd agree.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    Farming's not so great either.

I have a cousin who is a little "short handed", because a combine decided to take a bite of his hand.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options

Yeah, and pto's are dangerous too. I got off easy with just some bad arthritis and a few broken ribs.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Power Take Offs?

I didn't see tower climbers on the list, but I'm sure that they fall under one of the other general categories.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Professional Bull Riding or bull riding in general is as dangerous as it gets! 2,000lbs. testosterone/trenbolone injected beast wanting to kill you every time the rider gets on to make a living.

Ranching with them is very dangerous to, have two Uncles that nearly got killed as this one insane bull wouldn’t get vaccinated...damn thing mauled the four wheeler through the air like a feather, the 1/4” steel on the big farm truck is still bent in where it mauled one of my uncles up into it, they are lucky to both be alive.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I'd count bull riding as a hobby for the mentally insane.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not a hobby though when they’re with the PBR doing it for a living.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TX98Z28 said:
    Professional Bull Riding or bull riding in general is as dangerous as it gets! 2,000lbs. testosterone/trenbolone injected beast wanting to kill you every time the rider gets on to make a living.

Ranching with them is very dangerous to, have two Uncles that nearly got killed as this one insane bull wouldn’t get vaccinated...damn thing mauled the four wheeler through the air like a feather, the 1/4” steel on the big farm truck is still bent in where it mauled one of my uncles up into it, they are lucky to both be alive.

My barber is missing an eye from being stepped on while training to be a bull rider.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a friend who used to ride bulls....He has a metal plate in his head, lost some vision and his eye wanders from a horn. He's sterile from having his tentacles being crushed by a hoof. Had his pancreas damaged after being stepped on under his flack jacket...All by the age of 22.

• Options

ouch.

• Options

@Bob_Luken said:

@Wylaff said:

@TX98Z28 said:

My barber is missing an eye from being stepped on while training to be a bull rider.

You got a one eyed barber huh? (Too many jokes, not enough time.)

I pay him in cigars for what it's worth.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

@Wylaff said:

@Bob_Luken said:

@Wylaff said:

@TX98Z28 said:

Well, let's put this matter behind us by asking,... are you getting Davidoff haircuts or Swishers'?

• Options

@Bob_Luken said:

@Wylaff said:

@Bob_Luken said:

@Wylaff said:

@TX98Z28 said:

Well, let's put this matter behind us by asking,... are you getting Davidoff haircuts or Swishers'?

Alec Bradley.

• Options

@Wylaff said:

@Bob_Luken said:

@Wylaff said:

@Bob_Luken said:

@Wylaff said:

@TX98Z28 said:

Alec Bradley.

LOL. Not bad for a one eyed barber.