Home General Discussion
Options

How did you develop your Flavor Palette?

2»

Comments

• Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rhamlin said:

@CAcigarguy007 said:

@Rhamlin said:
    I didn’t. I like or I don’t. Granted I can make out stuff like cocoa, coffee and raisins, sometimes I can get a hint of nuttiness sometimes a metallic flavor which I don’t like because it usually means the cigar will turn bitter quick. but I’ve never tried to actually pick out anything. Sometimes when I read reviews it just makes me chuckle the way some people go on and on about what they taste.

Cigar Reviews by Phil 'Katman' Kohn. That dude must have a magic palate. I get a lot of flavors but more on the basic flavor wheel. That fella is on a whole different level...lol. Sometimes I'm like "wtf, really? . "Ice cream cone, shitake mushrooms, edemame, stewed goat, escargot, African chocolate, decalf coffee"..lol. Every cigar is like a twelve course meal; nonetheless, he has pretty interesting reviews.

I love that dude. Is he still doing it? The only guy I thought knew what he was talking about. His stories are awesome!

https://kohnhed.com/

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

not enough lsd? ^^

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

See, I think with cigars the flavors are so illusive that you're free to associate them with anything similar. You're just going to take that little hint of sweetness in whatever direction that it reminds you of.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it interesting that despite the animated discussion going on, the OP hasn't had anything to say since I typed a certain name.

DZR? I think not.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@CAcigarguy007 said:

@Rhamlin said:

@CAcigarguy007 said:

@Rhamlin said:
    I didn’t. I like or I don’t. Granted I can make out stuff like cocoa, coffee and raisins, sometimes I can get a hint of nuttiness sometimes a metallic flavor which I don’t like because it usually means the cigar will turn bitter quick. but I’ve never tried to actually pick out anything. Sometimes when I read reviews it just makes me chuckle the way some people go on and on about what they taste.

Cigar Reviews by Phil 'Katman' Kohn. That dude must have a magic palate. I get a lot of flavors but more on the basic flavor wheel. That fella is on a whole different level...lol. Sometimes I'm like "wtf, really? . "Ice cream cone, shitake mushrooms, edemame, stewed goat, escargot, African chocolate, decalf coffee"..lol. Every cigar is like a twelve course meal; nonetheless, he has pretty interesting reviews.

I love that dude. Is he still doing it? The only guy I thought knew what he was talking about. His stories are awesome!

https://kohnhed.com/

This is insanity. These are some of the flavors pulled from the Crux Ninfamaniac.

I clip the cap and find aromas of dark, dark cocoa, blackberry, earthy tobacco, and wood.

Ok I can see that..... but there’s more.

Brown sugar and spice show up for the first time. The spiciness is black pepper. And it grows with each puff. There is a pastry-ness to the brown sugar as if it were caramelized.

Ok..... I guess......

The Crux Ninfamaniac Dark is taking that bit of the profile and making it so intense that is like eating a French pastry. A Napoleon with blackberries and nuts on top.

Here it is: Dark chocolate, creaminess, spice, nutty, blackberries, wood, and extreme earthiness.

........ ..... ...

Flavors don’t know when to stop. The spiciness keeps on keeping on. The others in my list are more potent and delicious with each puff.
    The sweetness breaks on through to the other side with about 2-1/2” smoked. And the smoky, meaty component becomes very strong.

😳.......

The creaminess actually usurps the cocoa in order of intensity. Right behind is the smoked meat and then the blackberry and sweetness. And then the black pepper.

I haven’t had that much flavor at a Chinese food buffet. Where the heIl am I going wrong?

I probably didn’t pay as much attention to his descriptions as much as I dug his stories he would tell while smoking. About his days as a musician.