Home Cigar 101
Options

Box Pressed?

BlueMan0BlueMan0 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Cigar 101

Hello my fellow cigar lovers. When I tell you I’m a novice, it’s not false modesty, please excuse my ignorance. I’ve attached a pic of my meager collection :) The four sticks at the top are box pressed, they feel noticeably softer than the hand rolled ones below the divider. Doesn’t seem like a humidity issue to me, do you think these numbers are relatively ok? There’s another Boveda pack in a drawer below the vented surface these sticks a sitting on. Are box pressed cigars generally softer the round, or do I have a problem here? I appreciate any feedback. Just for the record, all of these cigars are new to me, I haven’t smoked any of these brands yet - so I can’t say whether I’m bothered by the softness of one or the firmness of the other. But I will be fire them up pretty soon.

Post edited by BlueMan0 on

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @BlueMan0, I think you're talking about the Java sticks, right? I don't have any experience with these. As their infused cigars I might recommend putting them in their own tupperdor lest they infuse the rest of your cigars with the flavoring.

The humidity looks good, some cigars are softer than others, depending on how they're packed. How do they smoke?

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@Yakster “How do they smoke”... I’ll know this weekend. The last stick I pulled from this humidor was on the softer side but not so much as to make me question it, though it took a little more effort to draw, it was a Gurkha, I’ve gotten the RH a bit lower since then. However, the other sticks below the divider have always kept the same firmness.

Thanks a lot for the tip, I certainly don’t want the Javas flavoring the others... I’ll be moving those right away, actually... right this second. Give them their own space.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ziploc bags work just fine for storing cigars.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried a Java latte maybe 5 years ago. Burned quick and I was disappointed.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Sup @BlueMan0! @Yakster is right. You're going to end up with 10 Javas if you let 'em sit in there with the other smokes too long, though a couple of days isn't going to hurt anything.

Hard pack versus soft pack doesn't mean a thing really, so I wouldn't worry about it. Padrons, especially the brown labels, have a very soft pack and they are very good. Mi Queridas are very densely packed, and they are very good. In my experience, most Rockys (maker of Javas) are soft packed. Most box pressed stuff that I have run across is also seems to have a softer pack, which I think is intentional so that they don't plug up when they go into the mold.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank yes sir, that makes sense. Ive moved them, but man... if I’ve ended up with ten Javas, lol.

• Options

@deadman said:
    I tried a Java latte maybe 5 years ago. Burned quick and I was disappointed.

Picking up infused sticks was pretty adventurous for me, I’ll try new things, but tend to lean back towards unmixed things. I don’t mix drinks too often, only drink black coffee, rather taste the steak than the A1, you get the picture. We’ll see how these go, hoping for a pleasant surprise... and perhaps a slower burn.

• Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've found box presses to be softer in general as well. Gurkhas can go either way dependng on how drunk or stoned the rollers were that day. That's only my theory on those though; nothing else explains their construction inconsistency.
    Relax about the humidity numbers (a 6 in front is fine), infused sticks always get their own home and stick around. You'll learn more from the Brothers here than you'd ever learn on your own. Welcome to the party!

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like they've said soft or hard are both OK as long as it's consistent, no soft or hard spots that differ from the rest of the stick.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what she said

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@d_blades said:
    as long as it's consistent, no soft or hard spots that differ from the rest of the stick.

Duly noted, thanks a lot.

• Options

@Yakster @VegasFrank @Trykflyr_1 Java smoked just fine.... and luckily, my other sticks had not yet taken on the Java flavors. Thanks for the help, to everyone how shared their knowledge.