Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Another IT question....

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m back with another problem of an IT nature and hoping someone out there can help me with an answer.

My TV is a Vizio SmartCast. I’ll provide model, size, etc, if it becomes pertinent but the main problem is when I’m streaming various programs using my FireStick I’ve found that the audio on some programs is all ‘mushy’ and I can’t make out what’s being said.

Some programs audio is bright and clear while others sound like muffled whispering or....

By using the Vizio remote app on my iPhone I can go Menu>audio>equalizer where I can manually adjust the sound or can select settings such as ‘Center’ or ‘Bright’, etc but nothing seems to clear up the ‘mushy’ audio.

The programs I’m referring to are mainly videos from Amazon Prime or Hulu. And, for example, Law and Order sounds pretty mushy while NYPD Blue is crystal clear. And, jumping back and forth between the equalizer and the program doesn’t seem practical.

Am I missing something? Should I be doing, or not doing, something? I’m sorta out of my element here.

TIA..... 👍

Comments

• Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does “Debbie Does.......” still work? Asking for a friend!

• Options

LOL. 🤣

I think poor ol’ Debbie is all worn out by now...... 😜😝

• Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably, the last one I saw was Debbie Does Dishes with Nina Hartley, and yes, she is worn out now!

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jlmarta said:
    My TV is a Vizio SmartCast... when I’m streaming various programs using my FireStick I’ve found that the audio on some programs is all ‘mushy’ and I can’t make out what’s being said.

Some programs audio is bright and clear while others sound like muffled whispering or....

Hi Marty, I don't have a firestick, but did some checking this might help.

Checking this, do you have a Gen 1, Gen 2, 4K Firestick? Found a reddit thread here that may be a similar problem with a Gen 2 with a recommendation to do a full factory reset.

Other recommendations I've found are to make sure that Dolby Digital Plus is off under the Settings > Display & Sounds > Audio menu.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@Yakster
    I have a 4K FireStick. And I’ll look into the Dolby Digital sound thing as soon as time allows...

Thanks a bunch, Chris... 😎

• Options

Okay, under the audio menu there’s no Dolby. Going to Advanced Audio I find Dialogue Enhancer which is turned on.

Trying the video dialogue again I find no change. It’s still mushy.

It was a good lead but, as they say, no cigar...

Thanks again, Chris... 👍

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it outstanding that our resident oldfart still has these questions.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options

He's out-teching me with a 4K firestick!

• Options

Further exploration took me to the app for the Vizio remote. If you go to Menu>Audio>Equalizer on that app, one of the selections is Audio Mode.

Clicking on that brings up a list of audio settings as follows:
    Flat, Dynamic, Center, Bass Boost, Bright, and Custom.

Selecting any of those choices causes an automatic adjustment to the equalizer buttons. It would be my guess that Dynamic, Center, or Bright should clear up the mushiness of the dialogue but, to my ear, any difference is slight at best.

Is any of the above helpful or am I just chasing rainbows??

• Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also could be a poor wifi connection, any streaming issues or just audio?

• Options

@TheKraken said:
    Also could be a poor wifi connection, any streaming issues or just audio?

Many thanks for the input. I’ve already tried some of those tips but will keep at it. I’m confident it isn’t a WiFi or power issue. And I have no streaming issues - just the audio.

I plan to uninstall and reinstall the Amazon Video app from the FireStick Home Screen to see if that helps any. Beyond that, I’m clueless... 🤓

• Options

Here’s what the three equalizer settings look like for the ones I think should work best but....

As I said, my best guess would be Dynamic or Bright but I can hardly tell the difference in the sound..

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your comment about Law and Order sounding mushy made me think. We have an older plasma TV and for most shows we watch/listen with the volume set at 10 or 11. With older analog shows we have to turn the volume up to 20-25 or voices are muffled.
    Another thought, if it happens to all channels at different times, is it when something else is running? A/C, well pump, freezer?

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options

@dirtdude said:
    I find it outstanding that our resident oldfart still has these questions.

Thank you. Your resident Oldfart is cursed (?) with an insatiable curiosity.... 🤓

• Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, here's my solution.
    1. Get yourself a sound system and connect your "smart" TV to it.
    2. Sit back and enjoy proper sound.

Good luck!

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options

@BKDog said:
    Okay, here's my solution.
    1. Get yourself a sound system and connect your "smart" TV to it.
    2. Sit back and enjoy proper sound.

Good luck!

Well, uh, define ‘sound system’ please. Do you mean a sound bar? Or....?

• Options

So not really an IT question but don't know where to put it and didn't feel like creating another thread to die in 5 posts.

But I've noticed a number of my posts recently have had to be approved before they are posted. Wondering why this is? Is anyone else experiencing this?

• Options

There's a thread for that, with possible explanations. I think it was worse than it is now, but that's hard to say.

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/900108/why-wasnt-my-message-approved

• Options

Thanks Chris! @Yakster

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

@jlmarta
    Marty, is that your original one?
    Are some of the shows that the volume is mushy on on Amazon or one of the channel apps?
    I've found that there are some apps that seem to turn down volume on their movies for what ever reason, then switching back to a different app will blast me out.

Also, I usually choose center or bright on the settings, cause I'm deaf.
    Settings > Display and Sound > Audio >
    Surround Sound (Best Available or Stereo)
    Advanced Audio > Volume Leveler - Off
    Dialog Enhancer - On

That being said, I have Bose Solo 5 Soundbar for my TV, less than $200 and worth every penny.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options

@0patience

Hi, Tony. I’ll try to answer in the order of your questions.

The Fire Stick you gave me went south on me so I bought a new one - a 4K model with Alexa.

In addition to my Vizio SmartCast, I have a sound bar from Amazon. Not sure of the brand off-hand.

I mainly use only Amazon Prime videos or Hulu. I hardly ever watch movies - mostly videos of cop shows and other drama series. I don’t have the patience to tolerate commercials. It doesn’t matter which I’m using - Prime or Hulu - some videos are mushy while others on the same media are crisp and clear.

I can only adjust the audio equalizer on my TV - can’t find any way to do it on the sound bar. My plan was to fine-tune the audio on the TV with the sound bar turned off. Then, turn the sound bar back on and run the fine-tuned audio through it and then try the three audio options available on the sound bar to select whichever was best. So far, the ‘news’ setting seems clearer than ‘standard’ or ‘movies’.

I have fairly sensitive hearing and I live in an apartment now, so I don’t do it but I’ve found that turning up the volume to an uncomfortable level sometimes helps to clear up the mushiness a bit. This is obviously not an acceptable solution.

Hope this helps.... 👍👴🏻

• Options

@peter4jc

^^^^Oh, you’re a big help, Peter... 🙄