Is the Post Office closed today?

YaksterYakster Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, Veterans Day.

Upcoming:

THURSDAY
November 26 Thanksgiving Day

FRIDAY
December 25 Christmas Day

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Comments

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bank was closed today too.
    (Grumble grumble)

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

I'm thinking we just bump this thread on holidays to give each other a heads up.

• Options

No?

Appears the Post Office is open today Friday November 27th, at least according to their website.

They were closed yesterday and will be closed again on Christmas day.

• Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can confirm they are open just dropped off a couple packages

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options

Open today, closed tomorrow.

Merry Christmas!

• Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I will wait until Saturday.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just gave my mailman a few cigars for Christmas.....So yes they are open today.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Open. Went to my brothers house, came home and the mailman left my daughter’s senior pictures on the steps in the rain. Luckily the water hadn’t got through the interior box.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old mail lady would put things in a bag if she suspected rain. New mail people act like they delivering newspapers, throw it out the window as they drive by

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@deadman said:
    Old mail lady would put things in a bag if she suspected rain. New mail people act like they delivering newspapers, throw it out the window as they drive by

Millennial work ethic

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

USPS is open today, here's the 2021 Holiday closure list.

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

January 12, 2021
    In Transit, Arriving Late
    Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.
    January 7, 2021, 4:10 am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 7, 2021, 2:37 am
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    STAMFORD CT DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 6, 2021, 7:39 pm
    STAMFORD CT DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 5, 2021, 5:58 pm
    Departed Post Office
    PEABODY, MA 01960
    January 5, 2021, 5:16 pm
    USPS in possession of item
    PEABODY, MA 01960
    January 5, 2021, 2:20 pm
    Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
    PEABODY, MA 01960

It appears that the USPS has been closed for a week.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

lol, at least it is going in a straight line south. I had one take a 1 week vacation in Puerto Rico this fall.

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

They may not be closed, but this is part of a trip that a package heading toward me has taken. Why in the world would it make a U-Turn and go North?

January 16, 2021, 11:59 am
    SPRINGFIELD MA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    Your item arrived at our USPS facility in SPRINGFIELD MA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER on January 16, 2021 at 11:59 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
    January 15, 2021, 5:42 pm
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    MIAMI FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 15, 2021, 6:39 am
    MIAMI FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 15, 2021, 2:37 am
    WEST PALM BEACH FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options

Yes, closed today.

• Options
    edited June 2021

Might be closed tomorrow June 18th for Juneteenth.

Stores, post offices, and other organizations and businesses are likely to be open as usual, but some may be closed or have restricted opening hours in some areas. Many public transit services operate on their usual schedule, but there may be some changes.

Thanks for the heads-up, @VegasFrank.

• Options

What the hell is Juneteenth? Celebrating more nonsense?

• Options

Nonsense?

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:

Just the end of slavery in the Western world.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

I had to Google it.

• Options

@ShawnOL said:
    I had to Google it.

Well, now you know.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Lol.

• Options
    Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

@ShawnOL said:
    Lol.

You’re cancelled lmao

• Options

I'm surprised it wasn't already a holiday.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

@ShawnOL said:

Lincoln proclaimed emancipation of slaves in unconquered Confederate states in what, 1863? It was a war measure to raise hell behind enemy lines. It wasn't until two years later, June 19th 1865, that Union soldiers brought emancipation to Texas. Negroes began to celebrate, dancing in the streets. That is what inspired Juneteenth.

750,000 soldiers died in the Civil War. That's 2 1/2% of the populationm at the time. If 2.5% died today, that would be round about seven million. About 8k have died in Iraq and Afghanistan. Think about it.

Soldiers on both sides were conscripted. Think about that. Is it more fun to be enslaved for labor or for murder?

Southern soldiers were outnumbered 2 1/2 to one. So Democrats didn't stand a chance in the end. Especially since both industry and boatbuilding were concentrated in the North.

Juneteenth didn't end slavery in the Western Hemisphere. Brazil had slaves until almost the end of the century.

It didn't end slavery world wide, either. In fact, just a couple years ago, when Trump kicked ISIS' butt, thousands of sex slaves were freed. I remember when Mauritania officially made slavery illegal in Bush's time. But making it illegal didn't end it. Just made Mauritania smell better to the UN, I spose. Prolly some kinda monetary aid on the table.

I really think there ought to be something or other to commemorate the British Anti-Slavery Society that promoted the idea of universal freedom for so long. Same society flourished among the Quakers here. The idea was derived from the European Enlightenment the century before. Certainly, the world owes a great debt to the British Navy finally turning that idea into reality round the world. Ironically, that same navy was manned by pressed sailors during that era. So you had crews of white Brits conked on the head and dragged to sea to end slave traffic from Zanzibar to Coromandel, both ways around. History is stranger than fiction.

When considered comprehensively, near universal manumission is a magnificent achievement of white supremacy only made possible by imperialism. Wrap your head around that.

The people who make it their obsession to know complain that there are more millions of slaves now than ever... partly as an unintended consequence of ending imperialism, and partly as forced labor. Estimates vary around forty million. They don't just count Uighurs forced to make your iPhones, but include oriental fishing boats, the gal who gave Bob Kraft a happy ending, Chinese organ harvesting, and even African children in rebel armies. Just last year, a half dozen youngsters from Mali tried to sue Nestle here in the USA because they had been kidnapped and forced to pick chocolate in Ivory Coast. Cobalt, so crucial to making batteries on which the green revolution depends, is notoriously mined in the Congo by forced child labor. As a result, couple years ago, a similar law suit was brought by several Congolese parents against everyone from Apple to Google to Microsoft and Dell. Lawyers get rich but slavery continues.

Then there's this, from Winston Churchill:

The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property – either as a child, a wife, or a concubine – must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.

... and now back to your regularly scheduled programming

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

Why not just call it Emancipation Day?

Seems like some people (D) might not want to give credit where credit is due (R) for freeing the slaves from those wonderful (D)s.

• Options
    edited June 2021

@webmost said:

@ShawnOL said:

Lincoln proclaimed emancipation of slaves in unconquered Confederate states in what, 1863? It was a war measure to raise hell behind enemy lines. It wasn't until two years later, June 19th 1865, that Union soldiers brought emancipation to Texas. Negroes began to celebrate, dancing in the streets. That is what inspired Juneteenth.

750,000 soldiers died in the Civil War. That's 2 1/2% of the populationm at the time. If 2.5% died today, that would be round about seven million. About 8k have died in Iraq and Afghanistan. Think about it.

Soldiers on both sides were conscripted. Think about that. Is it more fun to be enslaved for labor or for murder?

Southern soldiers were outnumbered 2 1/2 to one. So Democrats didn't stand a chance in the end. Especially since both industry and boatbuilding were concentrated in the North.

Juneteenth didn't end slavery in the Western Hemisphere. Brazil had slaves until almost the end of the century.

It didn't end slavery world wide, either. In fact, just a couple years ago, when Trump kicked ISIS' butt, thousands of sex slaves were freed. I remember when Mauritania officially made slavery illegal in Bush's time. But making it illegal didn't end it. Just made Mauritania smell better to the UN, I spose. Prolly some kinda monetary aid on the table.

I really think there ought to be something or other to commemorate the British Anti-Slavery Society that promoted the idea of universal freedom for so long. Same society flourished among the Quakers here. The idea was derived from the European Enlightenment the century before. Certainly, the world owes a great debt to the British Navy finally turning that idea into reality round the world. Ironically, that same navy was manned by pressed sailors during that era. So you had crews of white Brits conked on the head and dragged to sea to end slave traffic from Zanzibar to Coromandel, both ways around. History is stranger than fiction.

When considered comprehensively, near universal manumission is a magnificent achievement of white supremacy only made possible by imperialism. Wrap your head around that.

The people who make it their obsession to know complain that there are more millions of slaves now than ever... partly as an unintended consequence of ending imperialism, and partly as forced labor. Estimates vary around forty million. They don't just count Uighurs forced to make your iPhones, but include oriental fishing boats, the gal who gave Bob Kraft a happy ending, Chinese organ harvesting, and even African children in rebel armies. Just last year, a half dozen youngsters from Mali tried to sue Nestle here in the USA because they had been kidnapped and forced to pick chocolate in Ivory Coast. Cobalt, so crucial to making batteries on which the green revolution depends, is notoriously mined in the Congo by forced child labor. As a result, couple years ago, a similar law suit was brought by several Congolese parents against everyone from Apple to Google to Microsoft and Dell. Lawyers get rich but slavery continues.

Then there's this, from Winston Churchill:

The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property – either as a child, a wife, or a concubine – must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.

... and now back to your regularly scheduled programming

:trollface: 🙄

I felt emancipated the moment this post ended....

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@Yakster said:
    USPS is open today, here's the 2021 Holiday closure list.

Open today, closed tomorrow.