Home Non Cigar Related
Options

electric shaver

silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

My old Braun foil shaver is on its last legs. I am trying to decide replacing it with another Braun or switch to a comparably priced Norelco. Any opinions?

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny, my shavers last forever.
    Oh wait, I can't grow a beard. All I get is some motley goatee and a few straggly hairs on my cheeks.
    I'm no help at all. LOL!

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options

About the same for me. Does make shaving quicker.

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve sworn by my Norelco for a good many years. I went to a rotary to finally get away from the constant hair-pulls I got from an oscillating blade. And I never looked back.... 👴🏻👍

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Isn't Braun the one that has the commercial about fixing someone's 30 year old electric shaver? Is repair an option?

I use a beard trimmer but can't stand electric shavers, give me a safety razor or a straight razor. Of course, I haven't shaved in months.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

I recommend Braun.

I had a norelco, got a lot of hair pulls.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options

Ok, that's one hair-pulls for Norelco and one hair-pull for Braun. Might depend on beard characteristics or dull cutters or user technique. I've decided to give the Norelco a try, see how it does with pandemic shaving regimen--every 3 or 4 days, lol.

• Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use it as a paperweight. Never could get a close enough shave with any electric. I'll take wet shaving any time.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wet here also. I got tired of buying rotary replacement blades and not getting a close shave.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Had both brands, back when I needed to dry shave because we were out in the field on the tank. Found the Braun to be the better, but that was a long long time ago. It did tend to cut the hairs, rather than to s n a t c h them out of my face like the Norelco. In the summer, which is when I shave, I like those 5 blade Schick razors with the gel-type shaving cream, gel, stuff.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IndustMech said:
    I recommend Braun.

I fail to see how a rotary cutter can pull hairs. But, hey, if it happened to you I guess you’d know, right?

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jlmarta said:

@IndustMech said:
    I recommend Braun.

I fail to see how a rotary cutter can pull hairs. But, hey, if it happened to you I guess you’d know, right?

~~~~

I think it's what your used to.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Braun

It's like choosing between a Gran Habano and a Padron.

Simple choice

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this one at Bed, bath and beyond a few years back and it works great. Best electric shaver I have ever owned and i have had a few for traveling.

BBB usually has discount coupons that work as well. I think I got $50.00 off on this one. Sign up for emails and you should get a coupon code soon.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options

Looks like Braun wins. I guess I will find out soon which one handles 3-day whiskers easiest.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    Looks like Braun wins. I guess I will find out soon which one handles 3-day whiskers easiest.

You'll like it so much the whiskers won't last 3 days, you'll be shaving twice a day just because it's so much fun now.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still usually use a blade but I picked up a Braun series 7 wet/dry recently with my son needing to start shaving and for taking on the road. It works very well and the self clean is a great feature as well.

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another vote for Braun here. I started using one while still in the Army and had a close enough shave daily for parades and inspections. It died about 6 years ago and I replaced it with another. First one worked great until the battery stopped charging, instead of sending it in for repair, i figured after 28 or so years I would just get another.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5