Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Any chewing tobacco addicts in here?

BullSquatchBullSquatch Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love chewing tobacco pouches as much as i love cigars. Curious though, anyone tried alternative chewing products that have no tobacco or nicotine? I know chewing is awful for your mouth, gum & teeth, so i am looking to find an alternative that still tastes as good.

"Some people meditate, I smoke cigars." - Ron Perlman
"...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon
Two Time Cigar Lottery Winner

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chewed tobacco when I was young and working in the rock quarries. Also a few years later in the Army, especially when we had the Tanks on the wash rack. Mostly Levi Garrett and Red Man. I also smoked cigarettes back then. Not on the wash rack. I can't say I miss it.

For awhile, after I moved to where I am now, I would buy a wheel of cigars called Smokey Mountain Sweets (I think) that were made by Stoker, I believe. Stoker is a local company, known for their chewing tobacco. They got bought out by some company from Mississippi. I don't know if those still exist.

The Smokey Mountain Sweets were, obviously, sweet tipped cigars that were pretty much meant for chewing on as much as smoking. I'd light one up while bush-hogging the fields. Usually let it go out pretty quickly, so mostly just gripped it with my teeth, occasionally changed sides. The difference between that and chewing was that the tobacco was still contained within the body of the cigar, other than the wrapper.

All in all, I was glad to let it go. Not quite as bad for you as cigarettes, but I was definitely feeling the negative results in my teeth and gums. My advice, such as it is, would be: Let it go. Enjoy your evening cigars, maybe take up a pipe and get one of those rubber bite guards so you can clench it from time to time. Much easier on the old body.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copenhagen pouches.
    Used to use Copenhagen snuff, but with dentures, the pouches are so much better.
    I have tried alternatives. Mostly the mint crap.
    Not a fan. Although, these ZYN pouches do seem to work, but holy cow, the 6 mg ones made me sick.
    Evidently, it is too much for me.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see over on PSD that a good number of pipe smokers are also into snuff, snus, etc. Never tried that or chew, just cigars, pipes, and half a cigarette after a rousing game of tops.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

British and Indian nasal snuff. Never into snus or chew.

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BullSquatch said:
    I love chewing tobacco pouches as much as i love cigars. Curious though, anyone tried alternative chewing products that have no tobacco or nicotine? I know chewing is awful for your mouth, gum & teeth, so i am looking to find an alternative that still tastes as good.

Zyn and Rogue pouches. They are only nicotine, no added chemicals or tobacco for that matter. They have a bunch of flavors

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    logan_042logan_042 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭✭

I used Copenhagen wintergreen pouches for a while during a stressful part of my life. I felt myself becoming addicted so I quit. I’ve seen the after effects of mouth cancer and I figured I didn’t need the additional expenditure in my budget. 😂 perhaps a tad hypocritical that I picked up smoking cigars but I genuinely believe they’re the healthiest method of consuming tobacco.

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do Dryft and Zyn pouches. I like the fruit flavors from Dryft, and the coffee from Zyn. I did Rogue honey lemon flavor for about a month. I don’t know if it was the grit or the larger pouch size, but they tore up my gums pretty bad. I do upper lip and leave them in for 2 or 3 hours at a time.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

@Wylaff @Usaf06 where do you guys buy them at?

"...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon

• Options

Costco carries the Zyn for about $3 each (15 pouches). The Dryft I get from Jackson's (gas station chain) for about $4.50 (20 pouches).

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

1st Attempt

• Options

On! pouches have been on sale for $2 around here, so I figured I would give them a try. Their cinnamon one is pretty tasty, and they last for pretty close to 2 hours.

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never tried it, but all my cops in Ellenville had a round white ring worn into the material of their left rear uniform pants pocket.

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

Snuff. Which I would like to quit.

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chewed daily for 30+ years. Quit when I started smoking cigars.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copenhagen Straight LC when doing yard work/gardening.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

nasal snuff

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried chewing tobacco but kept choking on the filters.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.