Home General Discussion

Bumping Down on my Rubbermaid & Ammo Boxes to Boveda 65%, currently running 69%.

BullSquatchBullSquatch Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

I scientifically tested one of my Rubbermaid bins with a 65%RHH boveda for the last 2 months.
All of the smokes that have came out of that bin, smoke better, cleaner and more even. They all also lost the spongey nature i was getting on the final 3rd of cigars that i was seeing with the 69% bins.

Anyone else switched RH levels in their humi's?

"Some people meditate, I smoke cigars." - Ron Perlman
"...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon
Two Time Cigar Lottery Winner

Tagged:

Comments

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in the desert, and my cigars live at 60-62 if I can help it...

Don't look ↑
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always 65s

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you're liking your solution better Travis.. I keep my cooler with 69s, but have a desktop that I use 69s in also. I don't keep as many in there so it stays between 65 and 67. I smoke from the humidor and transfer from the cooler every month or so.

• BullSquatchBullSquatch Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Taylor, i really want a nice old school desktop humidor, but i am spoiled by the low maintenance of rubbermaid and ammo box.

"...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also went from 69 to 65 in my tupadors. Cigars are smoking better.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BullSquatch said:
    Taylor, i really want a nice old school desktop humidor, but i am spoiled by the low maintenance of rubbermaid and ammo box.

Completely understand. Not sure I'll go the Rubbermaid route because I'm very happy with my bulk storage in the cooler. I like my humi, it wasn't very expensive but I like the way it looks. Plus with Bovedas, its very easy to take care of. And I like to think it gives a better flavor to my sticks. I'll probably buy a nicer/larger one some day.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like 65, I even like 62s.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BullSquatch said:

Are you using Military metal cans, or the newer plastic ones?

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BullSquatchBullSquatch Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Diver43 using La Finca ammo boxes.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

I switched to 65% boveda on my humi a month or so back. I still run 69% in my Rubbermaid and Ziploc bags.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheKraken said:
    Glad you're liking your solution better Travis.. I keep my cooler with 69s, but have a desktop that I use 69s in also. I don't keep as many in there so it stays between 65 and 67. I smoke from the humidor and transfer from the cooler every month or so.

This is my set up exactly.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

I have been using all 65s, but have a few non Nicoragrans I just upped to 69. Getting a few cracked wrappers.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

65% all day! I used 70/69 years ago and came to the same conclusion about 8 years ago and haven't looked back. 65% is all I use in my large weathertight bins. Also no boxes or trays to compete for humidity. Just cigars, cedar sheets, and bovedas. They last a LONG LONG time with this set up (years).