Home General Discussion
Options

Finally got my humidity stable

I have about 10 Rocky Patel factory seconds in the tupperware container with some coffee beans as an experiment. Anyone else ever try to infuse a cigar? What was your experience?

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

A long time ago a member called @clearlysuspect had a thread on this. Largely a waste of time, as I recall. You could try to necro that thread, though the changes to the forum might prevent it.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried coffee beans in a sealed acrylic jar before. Great prelight smell but no changes in the flavor profile.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had bought some JR Edicion Limitada Alternative
    Cohiba Behike Laguito No. 6 6.50 × 56 cigars that I really didn't care for. I also had some whiskey barrel chunks that I'd used for infusing green coffee before roasting it to try that technique out. I put the cigars and the whiskey barrel chunks in a large canning jar and left them there for a month or so, but it didn't improve the cigars. I could tell that there was some whiskey imparted to the cigars, but for me it was an experiment not worth repeating. I don't typically smoke infused cigars anyway.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the guys around here know that I know my way around the kitchen well enough. Two things I don't cook: barbecue and white rice.

Why, you ask? Becaise, simply put, I can't make either as well as I can buy it. We have a place here called the road kill grill, and it has the best bbq in the world, bar none. I won't even attempt it because I can get anything I want for 20 or 30 something dollars INSTANTLY, so why would I bother with a smoker?

Same with the white rice. If I need white rice, I run up to china a go go up the street. In 3 minutes, u have all the white rice I want for about 50 cents a pint. Why would I buy a rice cooker? Why would I spend 20 minutes cooking it?

Moral of the story is that you can buy tabak especials for a few bucks each. If you like coffee cigars, buy those and save yourself the headache.

Besides, "infusing" cigars with flavors involves adding the flavoring agent to wet tobacco pre roll, then drying it. Adding a fragrance agent to the same container isn't a true infusion.

This is also why I don't find it to be a big deal to store acids next to other cigars, especially if everything is in cellophane. If Chris's wood chunks didn't affect his uncello'd cigars, then a kuba kuba sitting next to a random cigar in a humi with 2 layers of cellulose in between won't do harm either...

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

It affected them, just didn't improve them.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

nothing is likely to improve JR alternatives.
    edit: the ones I have 'aging' in the bottom of a cooler will age a lot longer.