Home Cigar 101

Audew electric humidor humidity at 75%

I have an Audew 150 count cigar humidor and the humidity doesn’t want to drop. I seasoned it with Boveda packs. I also calibrated my Boveda butler and the humidity is steady at 75%. Doesn’t want to drop. Any help will be appreciated! Thank you

Tagged:

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave the door open overnight.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Audew ... car parts and humidors! Kewl.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

Interesting, I looked up that winedor, on Amazon, it looks interesting with cedar shelves and a fan to circulate the air, but it appears that they just use an open moisture container that you fill with distilled water to provide the humidity.

If this is the case, I'd recommend not using this and instead using Boveda packets with your preferred humidity like 65% or 62% instead.

Let us know.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Ishbass_218Ishbass_218 Posts: 2

I currently have the Boveda 69 in there. Definitely not using the moisture container. I might have to decrease to a lower RH. I also left the door open overnight. Lets see how it goes. Thank you guys!

• SmokindogSmokindog Posts: 12

I've got a Whynter CHC 120. The open water tray ran the humidity way too high AND took up too much space. It looks like the same one in the above picture.

I found a smaller plastic box about 1.5x2.5x1.5 and some gray foam similar to that used on those disposable stain and urethane "brushes". I cut it to fit the new smaller box, soaked it in distilled water, squeezed it dry, put it in the plastic box on about 1/4 inch of distilled water. That settled things to right about 68% at 60-62 degrees. I add a few drops as need every 7-10 days.

• dedowndedown Posts: 1

I'm having the same exact issue. I was using the cigar oasis humidification device had it set to 68 but the humidity stayed around 75-76 in the unit. I took it out and put in the big boveda 69 and my butler still saying 75. Like wth

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dedown said:
    I'm having the same exact issue. I was using the cigar oasis humidification device had it set to 68 but the humidity stayed around 75-76 in the unit. I took it out and put in the big boveda 69 and my butler still saying 75. Like wth

boveda

Don't look ↑
  • DennyGDennyG Posts: 8

@VegasFrank

I had that problem a while back with a electric box I have just for aging. I started pulling the aged out and replacing them with new stock and a couple days later the humidity jumped to 75-78%. After checking a few of the new sticks I seen many were already high before I put them in the refrigeration...to make a long story short, I pulled all humidifiers out of the box and just ran it with refrigeration and circulating air for 2-3 weeks and let them live on their own humidity for that time. When they got close to the % I wanted I replaced the Boveda humidity packs I wanted and so far it's stable again.

"Just a guy controlling climate in a box"

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many stores keep their walk ins at a rh higher than you would at home. That makes for high Rh cigars. Once you have a regulated, mostly full box, you won't notice these problems as much...

Don't look ↑
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure your units hygrometer is accurate. I ran an oasis that was +7 off.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • I have a similar situation. Audew humidor, currently with 35ish sticks in it. Humidity got up to 77% and would not go down. I had bought some non-boveda packs at a time in the past when I could not get boveda. I was wondering if these were past their effective lifespan, but they were not crusty and dry yet. Speculating that perhaps they were worn out, and or not performing the two-way functionality of pulling humidity out, I tossed them and replaced with boveda 69's.

Hygrometer is a boveda butler, so I ordered the calibration kit, calibrated it and put a fresh battery in it. Am I supposed to make any adjustments to the boveda after said calibration is complete? I ran it 24 hours, until the Smart Sensor app said it was complete.

Since taking these steps I'm holding steady at 72% in the Audew. I'd prefer something lower, closer to the 69% rating on the pack.

I'm not sure if I should do anything else at this point, or just accept 72%?

I have some of the Boveda Butler sensors, AFAIK you do not need to do anything after the calibration of the sensors, the App must take care of that for you.

I would recommend that if you want a lower humidity rating that you look at using 65% Bovedas. The Boveda packs operate best at their rated weight, if they are depleted or overfilled they will not be as accurate. I recharge my Bovedas and weigh the water out based on how low the packs are from their rated weight to avoid overfilling them. I also notice that in a plastic crate that the humidity seems to run higher than expected.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with Rusty. Unplug it, tape over any drain holes and fill it with cigars. That seems to be what the other winador users on the forum have done.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

I was getting a little condensation build-up in my Winedor so I removed the seal I had made on the drain and I put a cloth tube of silica beads on the bottom to deal with any excess moisture. It's been great since then. Just keep an eye on it to see if you need to plug the drain or keep it there.