Home Pipes

What’s the best lighter to use for a Pipe?

GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

This may sound silly but do you use the same lighter (type) with all your pipes?

Is there a single best lighter and preferred method of lighting without scorching?

Best Answers

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I recently switched from Bic to the I.M. Corona. It is fantastic! I have a Ronson pipe lighter that comes with built in tamper and pick, which I liked for the original butane charge. After that, I can't seem to get it to take in enough butane, which really sucked. Or, maybe, didn't, if you look at it that way.

The IMC will take enough into the tank to smoke many pipefuls. The angled flame is perfect. There's a tamper built in, which I never use, but nice to have. Any caveats? Yes, it's outrageously expensive. However, since it's refillable and takes the same butane as my cigar torches, I expect there's a break-even date out there in the future, somewhere, sometime.

@silvermouse has said that he's had his for many years, I forget how many, but it broke down to about $7 a year, so I try to think about it like that. Take a look at the lighters section over at Smokingpipes.com, check out the Dunhill lighters, then congratulate yourself for saving so much money on your new I.M. Corona. :)

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I agree with Professor @Stubble, I overfill my bowls and char my rims, I need to rectify that rookie mistake.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I watched a video that said to do exactly what @Stubble said and it works fine for my rookie self.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Plus 1000 on soft flame. As I mentioned in the tamper thread I use the Xikar Resource II with built in tools. Its been my go to lighter for years. The wind proof aspect of it is pretty great. I hate smoking on windy days but it does work as advertised. I always burn holes in my shirt from tobacco embers floating in the wind.

Answer ✓

I think there's a pipe version that uses the Zippo fuel too.

Answers

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump for @PuertoRicoShawn

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?

I've been using Clipper long neck lighters that let me direct the soft flame into the bowl and avoid burning my fingers, Bic has a long neck version as well.

• PuertoRicoShawnPuertoRicoShawn Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

I saw the insert for zippo today when i was hunting down tge torch insert. It works well?

When you’re finished changing, you’re finished. —Ben Franklin

I got one but don't use it because of the hassle of having to remove the insert to refill it. The butane didn't seem to last that long.

• PuertoRicoShawnPuertoRicoShawn Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    I got one but don't use it because of the hassle of having to remove the insert to refill it. The butane didn't seem to last that long.

The pipe insert uses butane?

When you’re finished changing, you’re finished. —Ben Franklin

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
    edited February 10

I have switched to the Clipper long neck lighters with electronic ignition and a refill valve. They don't last forever, but they're cheap and get down in the bowl to light to tobacco. They come in different colors.

• OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ordered these lighters, thank you, guys. Also, my pipes and paraphernalia start showing up on Monday afternoon. My journey starts again. I feel much more confident with you guys at my side, making this much more successful and enjoyable… Cheers.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

So you still need tobacco. Noted

• OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rsherman24 said:
    So you still need tobacco. Noted

I’m good buddy …real good. 👍🏼

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.