Home General Discussion
Options

In Need of Variety!

Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

As my novice cigar collection grows, I’ve noticed I have basically bought the same things just from different brands. I would like to broaden my palate, and asking you seasoned vet’s is the best way to fast track this process.

I would appreciate your recommendations for new-to-me cigars you believe I must try. Your favorite breakfast cigars, shade leaf, whatever you’ve had a good experience with. I’ve been hammering Maduro and Oscuro wrappers, but I’m not opposed to recs for those either.

For Reference: LP No. 9 and Foundation’s Tabernacle have been my most enjoyable smokes thus far, so my container is filled with similar cigars.

And if the elaborate dry beg above wasn’t enough... bless this newb with the knowledge and wisdom that lies within this forum

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

AJ blends don't suck, but if you have deep pockets and are feeling adventurous, there's this

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Samplers. All.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@peter4jc said:
    What a shame... you were doing so well; as a noob you asked so few silly questions... and now you go and ruin it all by starting a thread like this... tsk, tsk.

With so many choices available and a 1-year old depleting funds like a black hole, I now have to be selective with purchases #NewbsWillBeNewbs

• Options

@Guitarded said:
    I understand your noob trade with @Patrickbrick isn’t complete yet.
    I have faith he will broaden your experience and storage needs.
    Knowledge and wisdom will come with patience and a desire to learn.
    Enjoy the journey!

PS. @Vision I have retired from giving dry beg lessons.

Such a dad answer Lol Father goals. I am still learning the patience part.

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a DADD.
    Drunks Against Drunk Driving
    I’ll drink, you drive.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    AJ blends don't suck, but if you have deep pockets and are feeling adventurous, there's this

Do that. ^

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    edited January 2021

@Cam_91 said:
    As my novice cigar collection grows, I’ve noticed I have basically bought the same things just from different brands. I would like to broaden my palate, and asking you seasoned vet’s is the best way to fast track this process.

Who's kid is this? Didn't your Dad school you? :D

I think you're in my backyard. Might have to do a backyard herf once things settle down around here. Jumping on the vHerf will give you a lot to chew on in the meantime.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Elections over. Your governor announced he’s about to open Cali back up

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

Auction 👂......

• Options

Unfortunately I answer to a higher power, my Wife.

• Options

@Yakster said:

@Cam_91 said:

Who's kid is this? Didn't your Dad school you? :D

I think you're in my backyard. Might have to do a backyard herf once things settle down around here. Jumping on the vHerf will give you a lot to chew on in the meantime.

That’d be awesome. Most likely in the Spring 🤙🏽 I’ve been trying to get on the vHerf, but man this kid is teething right now and it has not been fun.

• Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@deadman said:
    Elections over. Your governor announced he’s about to open Cali back up

Yup opened up today at 11am.
    Probably has more to do with the recall campaign he is facing... Would hurt his presidential asperations.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

Caldwell Eastern Standard for a flavorful morning smoke. All my other favorites have been mentioned already.

• Options

One thing that helped me when I got back into cigars was to note what wrappers the cigars I enjoyed were using and to a lesser extent the filler and binder. I could then look for other cigars with the same wrappers that I'd probably enjoy.

I like Mexican San Andres and Sumatra wrappers amongst others.

Here's a good old thread that talks about wrappers and the cigars that use them: Pick 3 Cigars by wrapper that define the style

This Blending 101 by @kuzi16 is worth a look too. It's probably a better place to start.