Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Rush Limbaugh passes away

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like him or not, he created controversy with a flair.

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

That he did
    RIP

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked his radio show.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meh, so what. He was a divider. I prefer uniters.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stay classy...

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options

Haha someone flagged me for that? Jeez people....

Don't look ↑
  • Options

I did

• Options
    edited February 2021

@Stubble said:
    Stay classy...

I forgot, it's not nice to say something at all critical about a dead guy. I guess I coulda said it yesterday?

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Sorry Steve, is this a more appropriate reaction?

Don't look ↑
  • Options

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, to be honest, after the crap I have seen printed in regards to his death by people who are professing to want "unity", it's kind of appalling to see their comments.
    This person wasn't someone I always agreed with, but it was entertaining to listen sometimes. That was what most these people are, entertainers.
    Their job is to incite a reaction.

I have been to funerals that I didn't even like the person, but respected what they did and was respectful to their family.
    My integrity would be questioned, otherwise.

Would I say I liked him? Not particularly. Did I find his show entertaining?
    Yes. Just as I listen to several radio talk shows and half those I don't agree with.

It is what it is.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

@Stubble said:
    Stay classy...

I forgot, it's not nice to say something at all critical about a dead guy. I guess I coulda said it yesterday?

/////**** Yo Vegas,,, liL ****

• Options

....Fu-K- YO....

• Options
    edited February 2021

Post edited by TruDog on
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

Very uniting comment.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Division is where the money is these days. Hannity, Limbaugh, Madow, Hayes, Carlson all make millions and they do it by demonizing ad hominem attacks. Those evil otherfuckers, they don't have a heart or they don't have a brain.... Substantive discussion of all points in a controversy is yawn-inducing to the average consumer.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:

If one side isn't spewing hatred, the other side is.
    And god help anyone who tries and have a logical discussion about any of it,

Just wanted to emphasize this point.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

I stumbled across Rush, twirling the AM dial, while traveling the wilds of Montana in the early 90's. He was like no one I had ever heard before on the radio. As he said many times, he was just articulating (and very well) what I, and most conservatives already thought and many of his bits and parodies especially in the early years were really funny. I learned a lot listening to him over the years and I believe he was a patriot. RIP Rush.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a much needed conservative voice to counter the left.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

We’d all be united as long as we all agreed with liberals, right Frank?

• Options
    edited February 2021

@Significant3 said:

@VegasFrank said:

No, Bryson, and I think you know me better than that. You know that I despise Donald trump, and I voted for him zero times. Still, I agree with many conservative principles.

As for rush, I remember shows he did in the 90s, talking about how certain people who contracted HIV deserved it, or how he used racist language as he talked about people from a third person perspective, etc. He was an outspoken opponent to gay marriage when it was still socially acceptable to be an opponent, pontificating how overturning DOMA would erode the fabric of American decenscies.

But for all of the things that I disagreed with him for, I despised him because he preyed on the emotions and fears of American conservatives to create a charged narrative that was the very start of the "win at all costs" doctrine. This eroded the classic American political compromise doctrine. It fueled the "contract with America," which aside from being an utter failure, began the pattern of politics where the main goal was to ensure that the opposition executive was a one-term president...in direct opposition to the tip o'neill model.

Sure, he was the quintessential conservative mouthpiece for a generation of republicans, but at what cost? Plenty, in my opinion.

Bottom line for me is that he was a demagogue and divisive. His death changes none of that. If you want to take my conservative card from me and kick me out of the club for that opinion, that's fine.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@TruDog said:

@VegasFrank said:

@Stubble said:
    Stay classy...

After 13,429 vulgar posts, yo drunk áss still can't figure out the vulgarity filter. I guess the old saying is true, you can't teach old ãss stinky mutts new tricks....

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:

@TruDog said:

@VegasFrank said:

@Stubble said:
    Stay classy...

After 13,429 vulgar posts, yo drunk áss still can't figure out the vulgarity filter. I guess the old saying is true, you can't teach old ãss stinky mutts new tricks....

.....And the Problem, Lil BoY?

• Options
    Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

@Significant3 said:

@VegasFrank said:

No, Bryson, and I think you know me better than that. You know that I despise Donald trump, and I voted for him zero times. Still, I agree with many conservative principles.

As for rush, I remember shows he did in the 90s, talking about how certain people who contracted HIV deserved it, or how he used racist language as he talked about people from a third person perspective, etc. He was an outspoken opponent to gay marriage when it was still socially acceptable to be an opponent, pontificating how overturning DOMA would erode the fabric of American decenscies.

But for all of the things that I disagreed with him for, I despised him because he preyed on the emotions and fears of American conservatives to create a charged narrative that was the very start of the "win at all costs" doctrine. This eroded the classic American political compromise doctrine. It fueled the "contract with America," which aside from being an utter failure, began the pattern of politics where the main goal was to ensure that the opposition executive was a one-term president...in direct opposition to the tip o'neill model.

Sure, he was the quintessential conservative mouthpiece for a generation of republicans, but at what cost? Plenty, in my opinion.

Bottom line for me is that he was a demagogue and divisive. His death changes none of that. If you want to take my conservative card from me and kick me out of the club for that opinion, that's fine.

Frank, very well stated, though I disagree with much of it, it was a much better post than your first.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^ Can't tell if you're being sarcastic, Shawn, or just stating facts. ;-)

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

I took it as obvious sarcasm. But I assume if someone is far enough on the left side of the political divide, they would believe it as the truest truism they cling to most.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:
    I took it as obvious sarcasm. But I assume if someone is far enough on the left side of the political divide, they would believe it as the truest truism they cling to most.

Yeah, I know, hence the winkie at the end of my post. It just struck me as funny because you could take it as truth from a left-leaning person; it could be read either way.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

@peter4jc Sorry,.... I didn't discern your sarcasm over discerning someone else's sarcasm because I totally overlooked your sarcastic winkyface.