Home General Discussion

In the doghouse now...

raidermikeraidermike Posts: 276 ✭✭✭✭✭

So... I found this thing called Sprint Sales on Cigar.com. For starters, it must be said, that I'd buy a square wheel IF I can get it for a great deal!

I'm relatively new to the cigar world and would like to consider myself an enthusiast/hobbyist. I purchased two CRA sample packs a while back (the one with the Fuente Fuente Opus X amongst other had to get cigars). Well, I was hooked but I didn't want to smoke all of my "hard to find" stogies up. Besides, I paid a pretty penny per stick on those packs...

I digress, back to the Sprint Sales. I have a couple mid-sized acrylic canister and a couple smaller sized ones I'm using as humidors and am able to hold about 40 cigars. Not quite enough room for what I wanted to have on hand so I made a 13qt. coolidor lined with Spanish cedar and was ready to start filling it.

I created my Sprint Sales account then I buy my first Sprint Sale... Wow!! The excitement, anticipation and winning the Sale was absolutely thrilling. I got a sweet deal too! Now I was on the prowl for another Sale I would be interested in. I see one that peaks my interest... I do my research then... BAM, I buy another, then another.....then another. It's like gambling, buying essential supplies and getting great deals all at the same time! Whoa big fella... The next thing you know, I'm the proud owner of over $1700 worth of cigars in a little less than three weeks! Nearly half of which was spent since last Friday!!!

I told my wife that I surely went overboard and the landing gear is down and the brakes are on concerning any future purchase of cigars. She agreed. I thought she had peeked at our account....I was wrong.

Therefore I thought things were fine until I saw her in the kitchen this morning at breakfast. I could immediately tell something wasn't right with her. He body language was screaming, "WARNING WIL ROBINSON...!!"

Then she let me have it! She had logged onto our joint bank account to pay a bill this morning and saw the damages of my spending over the weekend...

The only consolation I could offer is that I've stocked up for the rest of the year. (That's if I can keep my weekly enjoyment down to 3-4 cigars. ;) )

I'm guessing I'll need to find a wonderful, 2-3 dollar daily stogie to buy in the not-so-distant future...

Any advice for this #newbie? Thanks.

Things are about to get interesting...

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, you went whole hog. I never managed to set up my account for the Sprint sale here, I just usually watch the daily deal, that keeps the excitement level down between the Wife and I.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

You've learned a valuable lesson. Welcome to the world of cigar purchasing.

Post edited by d_blades on

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• raidermikeraidermike Posts: 276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    Rookie move. Just wait 'til you realize you don't like half the cigars you bought. Most of us have been there. Newbs, buying based on price, is a bad scenario.

Hopefully not!

I do have a pretty general idea what I like and am interested in as well as venturing into new cigar profiles. Most of my purchases were packs of 5. I didn't simply buy because they were inexpensive necessarily. I would do comparative shopping quickly to know it's wholesale value as well as browse reviews and ratings first.

So based on even that limited information...yeah, there's a good chance that I will still probably end up not thoroughly enjoying a couple of them. Live and learn! Haha

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, you are in deep. Like @peter4jc said, when your tastes change, and they will, you will be looking to trade them off.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.

@0patience said:
    Yeah, you are in deep. Like @peter4jc said, when your tastes change, and they will, you will be looking to trade them off.

Yeah, I started out smoking lighter bodied sticks (a few a week) in the beginning. Now I can enjoy up to four full bodied smokes per day!

@silvermouse said:
    lol. And now you are hanging out here, a very dangerous place if self-discipline is an issue. There are 'got to have' smokes posted daily by our professional enablers and marriage counselors trying to drum up business.

Thanks for the heads-up! LOL

@ForMud said:
    I was going to say "It's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" but never worked well for me....So I won't say it.

I think that became my philosophy at some point! 😄 She's feeling much better this afternoon...

@CAcigarguy007 said:
    ^^^Yeah, poor guy....lol. He'll be upset when he learns he probably didn't get the best deal. I generally find those on the page, the place, and the monster. Especially when you use coupon codes. I guess it's a right of passage. Most of us did it also in the beginning. I know I did.

I do have a Fuente Opux X in my collection. Paid $15 for that one. Thank you for the heads up on the other sites for good deals. I think that's the purpose of this forum; to be of assistance, one to another.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

And to hang out and have fun together. One of these nights you should grab a stick and meet us on the old zoom call for a V-Herf.

Don't look ↑

@VegasFrank said:
    One of these nights you should grab a stick and meet us on the old zoom call for a V-Herf.

I'd love to. I just have to figure out how to! Haha. Is there a link to the Zoom maps on gigs site?

I'm on my balcony now enjoying a stick!

Link here:

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/900837/new-vherf-zoom/p1

The password is in the link

Don't look ↑
  • MickeyD_1MickeyD_1 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

Wow, quite the haul there. Next up, a 3000 full climate control tower. 👍

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

You and @Patrickbrick should start a support group 🤪

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommanderDuke1_ said:

@raidermike said:

The next thing you know, I'm the proud owner of over $1700 worth of cigars in a little less than three weeks! Nearly half of which was spent since last Friday!!!

Amateur!!! I've done that in less then 3 days right!!! @Patrickbrick

Time of your life

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

But did you get 4 boxes of perdomo in one day? That's how @Scotch_n_Smoke defines success, you know....

Don't look ↑
  • EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t make him feel the @Scotch_n_Smoke hate, if mike wants 4 boxes of perdomos, live and let live and god bless America