Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar name pronunciation

MickeyD_1MickeyD_1 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

As a new member of the forum, I was browsing threads and came across one regarding pronunciation of cigar names. Rather than post in a rather old thread, I’ll share this recorded pronunciation site here.
A few I’ve heard pronounced several ways particularly Partagas.
If you have watched YouTube videos of cigar factory tours, you sometimes get a better understanding of the names.

https://www.simplycigars.co.uk/guide/cuban-cigar-pronunciation-guide-2-1590/

Enjoy!

Comments

• Options

I forgot to add, many pronunciations can be different between Cuba, Dominican Rupublic and Central America.

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MickeyD_1 said:
    I forgot to add, many pronunciations can be different between Cuba, Dominican Rupublic and Central America.

Jeeze, they could be different between the South and North, East and West, and cousins too....

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options

I guess my Portuguese descent is showing. LOL

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

I pronounce everything like a redneck would. I don't care how it's pronounced in other countries. 'Merica!

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@Vision said:
    Par-Tah-Gus or Part-Uhgus

A J Fer-Nan-Dez or Duz-Ent-Suhk

Par-tu-gás

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MickeyD_1 said:

porch-you-geez, in case anyone is wondering.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@peter4jc said:

@MickeyD_1 said:

Thanks, I would have said Por-too-gwee-zee

• Options

@peter4jc said:

@MickeyD_1 said:

Pork n cheese

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:
    Don't care.
    Pronounce it how ever you want.

Rowboooosto
    Ruhboooosto
    Rowbusto
    Ruhbusto

I doesn't make anyone an X-spurt if you know the correct pronunciation.
    X-spurts are irritating, so those people who have to correct people are irritating.
    I love going into a cigar lounge and purposely mis-pronouncing things, just to see them get their panties in a bunch.

Aw, don't get too down on them, I'll bet you have on occasion made a fox pass or two.

• Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still struggle with English.....57 years and cunting...Or is that counting....

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

@0patience said:
    Don't care.

Rowboooosto
    Ruhboooosto
    Rowbusto
    Ruhbusto

X-spurts are irritating, so those people who have to correct people are irritating.
    I love going into a cigar lounge and purposely mis-pronouncing things, just to see them get their panties in a bunch.

Ok, I guess, but pronouncing someone's name is not being an expert, or an X-purt or whatever. It's how that person identifies with the entire world. Rather that claiming expertise, all you are doing in trying to pronounce a name correctly is being polite and showing respect for that person.

Jaime Partagas started selling rolled tobacco in the mid 19th century and built an iconic cigar brand. To me, trying to pronounce his family name correctly isn't being a smarty pants, it's trying to respect him and his legacy.

In that regard, here's how this family pronounces it's name:

https://youtu.be/n1U7yLJrLl0

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

One that gets me:

Cinco Vegas instead of Five Vegas

I mean it’s the number 5. How did I mess that up

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

@0patience said:
    Don't care.

Rowboooosto
    Ruhboooosto
    Rowbusto
    Ruhbusto

Ok, I guess, but pronouncing someone's name is not being an expert, or an X-purt or whatever. It's how that person identifies with the entire world. Rather that claiming expertise, all you are doing in trying to pronounce a name correctly is being polite and showing respect for that person.

Jaime Partagas started selling rolled tobacco in the mid 19th century and built an iconic cigar brand. To me, trying to pronounce his family name correctly isn't being a smarty pants, it's trying to respect him and his legacy.

I get that 💯. My last name is D’Amico
    Pronounced Deeya-meeko. Not Duh-Meeko.

• Options

@VegasFrank said:

FYI From now on I want to identify to the world as Mr. Wonderful. Spell it and say it correctly. Show some respect.

• Options

@Vision said:

@VegasFrank said:

@0patience said:
    Don't care.

Rowboooosto
    Ruhboooosto
    Rowbusto
    Ruhbusto

Mister damn-ee-koh it is then

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

@Vision said:

@VegasFrank said:

@0patience said:
    Don't care.

Rowboooosto
    Ruhboooosto
    Rowbusto
    Ruhbusto

Sounds like every time I have to call a call center. More like Damn-uh-koh

• Options

@Vision said:

@VegasFrank said:

@Vision said:

@VegasFrank said:

@0patience said:
    Don't care.

Rowboooosto
    Ruhboooosto
    Rowbusto
    Ruhbusto

Sounds like every time I have to call a call center. More like Damn-uh-koh

Change your name to Henkel... problem solved.

• Options

Half the people I know pronounce it incorrectly.

Hank el
    hink el
    Hank lee (don't understand that one)
    Hinkley

Now schmidt. There's a name everyone can pronounce.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Are you kidding me? It astonishes me how many people are thrown off by the sch part of it. I don't blame them, I suppose. After all, look at school. They think it should be skmit. lol