Home General Discussion
Options

Help with Audew humi. Plastic smell.

MickeyD_1MickeyD_1 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

I bought the Audew 300 count cigar refrigerated humidor, delivered a few weeks ago. I washed out the inside per instructions with soap and water. Let dry. Stuffed with newspaper and a dish of baking soda. Set for a week and still has a plastic aroma. Plugged it in so the fan/refrigerator system would run, with and without the door open. Still has plastic smell. Installed shelves with water in container, humidity up over 75% for a week. Still has plastic smell.
Any other solutions I might try??

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had 1 cooler that just wouldn't let go of that smell. If your able to get it into direct sunlight for a few days that's what finally burned the odor out of mine.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

Might have to try that as last resort. ^^^^
    Pretty sad really, hate to put cigars in there with such a strong smell.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

Covid

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fill it with empty cigar boxes

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options

@IndustMech said:
    Fill it with empty cigar boxes

I tried that too. No workie. Plastic smell isn’t as bad once the door is open for a spell, but gets real strong when closed up.
    Took it outside in the sun for the day. Might stuff with paper and baking soda while in the sun.

Any other suggestions?

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could try wiping down the plastic with vinegar to try and get rid of the smell. Another trick is to soak a cotton ball with vanilla extract to give the humidor a good smell, but I'd start with the vinegar but you'd probably have a vinegar smell left behind so then you'll have to go to baking soda and newspaper to try and get rid of the vinegar smell, after wiping down the walls real well with distilled water.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

I used to put a big bowl of coffee grounds in there (whatever I could get for cheap) and leave it in there for about three to five days, remove it and then fill with cigars. Always did the trick. I still do it whenever I start a new plastic storage setup. You can get cheap bags from Amazon warehouse deals that are expiring soon for a few bucks.

• Options

Thank you ^^^
    I left it out in the sun all day loaded with news paper and leather work gloves. (6 pair)
    Thought it worked. Brought it back in and placed my water dish in for humidity. Hour later it smells like plastic again. Don’t know what else to do. I’ll try the coffee grounds.

• Options
    edited March 2021

@MickeyD_1 said:
    Thank you ^^^
    I left it out in the sun all day loaded with news paper and leather work gloves. (6 pair)
    Thought it worked. Brought it back in and placed my water dish in for humidity. Hour later it smells like plastic again. Don’t know what else to do. I’ll try the coffee grounds.

Works best with a large surface area. You can make a tray with foil or use a small cookie sheet, whatever pretty much, but the more surface area, the better the results. I'd also plug it in and run it while you do this to really get rid of all the smell from the internals.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Pepsi Patents Scented Cap to Replace Smell of Plastic ...

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fill it with full cigar boxes and just roll with it.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

I have the same humidor that had the same issue. Filled it up with smokes, now it smells like cedar and tobacco.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Fill it with full cigar boxes and just roll with it.

Damit FranK, if he had cigar boxes he'd have a ****'N Humidor.....Sheesh....surely

• Options

This thing is a humidor bro, and it holds about 10 cigar boxes, so, paradox?

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:
    I have the same humidor that had the same issue. Filled it up with smokes, now it smells like cedar and tobacco.

Frank, did you not notice any transfer of plastic smell/taste to your cigars?
    I currently have coffee in there, smells great. Don’t know it it will do the trick.
    If not I’ll just load it up an try it.

• Options

Nope, no transfer. Everything was just fine.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn’t in there long enough to transfer. Frank is down to six a day now though

• Options

Seven, but yeah 😆

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cotton ball with vanilla works wonders...
    Told the college son and roommates to empty the refrigerator before they left for the summer so nothing went bad if the house lost power...Getting close to the return in the fall we took some things to the house and the house smelled horrible. They had lost power and the fridge was empty but they had failed to touch the large amounts of frozen venison in the freezer side...
    After cleaning it out, baking soda for a day followed by cotton balls with vanilla and you couldn't even tell there was rotten meat in there after a few days...

• Options
    cryptoking13cryptoking13 Posts: 8
    edited September 2022

Did the smell really go away? I have the same issue and yes, after some time, the cigars lose their unique aromas and start smelling like the humidor (plastic). I found putting the cigars without cello in empty cigar boxes outside of the humidor for 1-2 days helps dissipate the plastic smell. Only bad thing is that they may dry out, but is better than smoking plastic.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cryptoking13 you may want to pay attention to the date of the last post on threads. They will all show as “new” if you have never opened them but some of them are old and a lot of the posters are no longer here. The last post on this one was in March of 2021

• Options

Pfft. I have that model and I filled it up with cigar boxes. Never smoked a plastic smelling cigar (except for the lc20, but that wasn't the humidor's fault). I think guys truck themselves into thinking shīt sometimes....

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or it really does have a plastic smell.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

Or they talk themselves into it.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    edited September 2022

I've had this problem when I had a couple fridgeadors and when I get new weathertight bins, i just toss in a bunch of cheap coffee for a couple days and it absorbs the plastic smell right up, toss coffee, add boveda and filler up. I use thin cedar sheets that come in cigar boxes inside as well.

• Options
    edited September 2022

@VegasFrank said:
    Pfft. I have that model and I filled it up with cigar boxes. Never smoked a plastic smelling cigar (except for the lc20, but that wasn't the humidor's fault). I think guys truck themselves into thinking shīt sometimes....

I don't know about plastic but I had to toss an entire fridgeador worth of cigars because of an off taste that permeated my cigars due to beads back when most of us were using them. This was with it plugged in and lots of beads, a nasty plastic chemical taste developed in all the cigars, especially the naked ones. It was an expensive lesson and the reason I ended up selling both fridges, dumping all the beads and switching back to wood (with gel and humipacks) and then eventually onto weathertight bins (with bovedas).

• Options

@Jrflickster said:

@CAcigarguy007 said:
    I've had this problem when I had a couple fridgeadors and when I get new weathertight bins, i just toss in a bunch of cheap coffee for a couple days and it absorbs the plastic smell right up, toss coffee, add boveda and filler up. I use thin cedar sheets that come in cigar boxes inside as well.

I just use spray paint then it just smells like black label/works stuff
    @VegasFrank
    @Patrickbrick

Lol, you referring to the lacquer from rushed out boxes infusing into the cigars or just the cigars in general? I've had many rushed boxes that are still off-gassing from the lacquer a bit but i don't store my cigars in boxes and everything gets a lot of rest/age.