Home Cigar 101

Feels like I almost lost all my cigars

TexasToastTexasToast Posts: 37 ✭✭

Just to give some perspective, I have a Coleman xtreme cooler with no cracks and the water valve completely closed. I use two boveda 320g at 69% humidity, no problems as of recent and two packs have been plenty, I have 6 boxes of cigars in there. It hasn’t even been two months and when I check my boveda app my butler is reading 45%. Naturally I freaked out thinking all my cigars are about to dry out, I figured maybe it was time to switch packs. I changed the two packs out (still very soft) and replaced them. Humidity went up and I put the hygrometer in my humidor with a digital hygrometer and sure enough it read correctly. Just being curious I took the new packs out after a while and put the old packs in... what do you know humidity stable at 64 percent. Ended up leaving all four packs in and at this point I am very confused as to why the humidity dropped that low. Any input would help

Comments

• VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

More Boveda is better. Put in a bunch and don’t worry. 45% is low yes.... but they are far from ruined. Get your RH stable for a week or so and then start smoking them again. I have an over abundance of packs in my wineador and have zero issues.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah totally ^

Why don't you just put all four of them in there? then why don't you buy two more and put those in there also? Why don't you get rid of the boveda Butler that is as useless as **** on a boar hog and get a $3 hygeometer from Amazon?

I wonder if boveda send out a mass update to every butler in the world to randomly drop RH under 50%? This would make hobbyists around the world panic and rush to the store to buy more packs....

Don't look ↑
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh and by the way, you didn't hurt your cigars at all. A week at 40% RH probably dropped the internal RH of each cigar by three or four points, and even if all of them were to go down to 40% for say, a week or so, no harm done. Bring them back up slowly and it's just fine.

Don't look ↑
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

@TexasToast said:
    Just to give some perspective, I have a Coleman xtreme cooler with no cracks and the water valve completely closed. I use two boveda 320g at 69% humidity, no problems as of recent and two packs have been plenty, I have 6 boxes of cigars in there. It hasn’t even been two months and when I check my boveda app my butler is reading 45%. Naturally I freaked out thinking all my cigars are about to dry out, I figured maybe it was time to switch packs. I changed the two packs out (still very soft) and replaced them. Humidity went up and I put the hygrometer in my humidor with a digital hygrometer and sure enough it read correctly. Just being curious I took the new packs out after a while and put the old packs in... what do you know humidity stable at 64 percent. Ended up leaving all four packs in and at this point I am very confused as to why the humidity dropped that low. Any input would help

I would guess that you experienced a glitch but,....Where are your Boveda packs sitting? And where are your hygrometers? I would keep the packs low in the cooler and the hygrometers high. Humidity rises.

Post edited by Bob_Luken on