Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar Canoeing Question

CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you have a cigar that's starting to canoe, do you hold the cigar so that the unburnt side is on the bottom or the top, in order to get it to correct itself?

Cigar Canoeing Question 20 votes

Unburnt Side Down
75%
YankeeManBob_LukenCharlieHeisPatrickbrickpeter4jcYaksterIndustMechForMudCalvinAndHoboMrShrekVegasFrankTBonzTheKrakenCommanderDuke1_Brokegunner 15 votes
Unburnt Side Up
25%
Amos_UmwhatCAcigarguy007rsherman24deadmanCtheHam 5 votes

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unburnt Side Down

I usually end up touching it up with a lighter anyway, but I smoke it with the unburnt side down when I notice the burn line going wonky.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Unburnt Side Down

I learned this on the internet and this forum. Heat rises, so the oxygen supposedly enters faster from the bottom to feed the fire and hopefully will ignite more of the unburnt tobacco. Does it work? Can't swear by it. But I believe the logic, so that's what I do. And I also have a single flame for touch-ups if I'm impatient.

• Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unburnt Side Up

Unburnt side up AND angled downward until it evens out and then resume rotation on subsequent puffs.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unburnt Side Down

@Yakster said:
    I usually end up touching it up with a lighter anyway, but I smoke it with the unburnt side down when I notice the burn line going wonky.

Same, neither way really helps for me, I was just curious if there's a consensus one way or the other.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unburnt Side Down

@CAcigarguy007 said:
    Unburnt side up AND angled downward until it evens out and then resume rotation on subsequent puffs.

But I still didn't hear no dinah-moe...

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    CommanderDuke1_CommanderDuke1_ Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unburnt Side Down

I Generally touch it up never had one correct it's self

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Touch Up.

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

I'll cut about 1/2" off the foot and re light. I've had a couple rare occasions where they canoed so far that over 1" had to be cut off then re lit.

Edit:^^^Correction...Thats what I do for tunneling but can work for canoeing to if it's bad enough.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unburnt Side Down

Depends on what you call a canoe. Wavy or one-sided burn will often self-correct with the unburned side down. But if it doesn't take care of itself in a few minutes after a couple of drags I'll touch up w/ a single torch to keep it from getting worse.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Unburnt Side Up

Dang it. Read the question and thought "I put the canoed side up", hit up, then realized the question was asking for the Unburnt side. Unburnt side goes down. Kuzi answered this long ago.

Also, canoes or tunnels, both are helped by holding the cigar with the lit end up, like a candle.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I set it down it is unburnt side up, but if I take a puff it is unburnt side down.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Unburnt Side Down

@Wylaff said:
    If I set it down it is unburnt side up, but if I take a puff it is unburnt side down.

I think it would work better in reverse order. Maybe. If you puff (with unburnt side up), the cherry becomes hotter and would cause a lot of heat rising toward the unburnt side and might help ignite the unburnt side. And then when you set it down, (unburnt side down) the cherry is burning in a unassisted state and more oxygen entering from the bottom might continue helping to ignite more of the unburnt side.

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other way around. It may be flawed logic, but I'm no physicist. I imagine that in a resting state the heat rising does more to dry to upper leaves to the point of combustion, while with active airflow the oxygen will pull faster from the bottom, so the unburnt side faces down.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Unburnt Side Up

Testing it live

Yup, slowly correcting. Basic fire science.

Nearly all the way corrected and good shot of where the heat concentrates