Home General Discussion
Options

Mason jars and Boveda

Thoughts on storing in Mason Jars with Boveda bags?

Comments

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can store in ZipLock gallon bags with a Boveda, less money more space easy to inspect rotate etc.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@samuelk59 said:

My main thought is you need more cigars. But it'll work fine. Why do you think it wouldn't?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mason jars are airtight with the lid screwed on tightly, so it would be fine. Careful not to warp either parts of the 2 part lids because that'll compromise them. Gallon bags are not perfectly airtight, especially after multiple openings. They tend to break down at the seams, especially the generics.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bovedas should keep your mason jars nice and fresh.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, they'll work, but they're heavy, bulky, and hard so be careful you don't bust up your cigar wrappers. You got any tupperware?

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    samuelk59samuelk59 Posts: 3

@peter4jc said:

@samuelk59 said:

My main thought is you need more cigars. But it'll work fine. Why do you think it wouldn't?

I've been using 5-6 1/2 gallon jars for about two years. I actually keep a hygrometer in each jar to make sure the humidity is perfect. I got tired of dealing with wooden humidors that need constant attention in the northeast, especially during the winter months. You can get about 15-16 sticks in each jar with a hygrometer, hence the need for 6 jars. :)

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum, @samuelk59 Sounds good but do open the jars on occasion for a bit of air exchange. Unlike pipe tobacco which improves with anaerobic fermentation in the tin, cigars do not.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

The acrylic humi I keep my non cellophane wrapped cigars in is extremely stable. If jars work for you, go for it.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    samuelk59samuelk59 Posts: 3

@peter4jc said:
    Somebody here (I don't want to mention names, but his initials are Patrick Brickley) doesn't even use a hygrometer because Bovedas are so accurate and reliable.

Another thought; I have several storage boxes and a mini-fridge (unplugged) and even though it's not that big of a deal to keep them in a good humidity range, it'd be nice to have fewer boxes to maintain... why not toss the mason jars and go w/ one airtight container?

Last thought; your original post - was it actually looking for advice, or just looking for affirmation? You're already doing what you're asking about.

Just looking for affirmation mostly. Glad to hear silvermouse's comment about opening the jars on occasion to get a bit of air exchange! Something I had not even thought about!

• Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

@samuelk59 said:

@peter4jc said:

@samuelk59 said:

I've been using 5-6 1/2 gallon jars for about two years. I actually keep a hygrometer in each jar to make sure the humidity is perfect. I got tired of dealing with wooden humidors that need constant attention in the northeast, especially during the winter months. You can get about 15-16 sticks in each jar with a hygrometer, hence the need for 6 jars. :)

That's kinda like having a different wallet for each bill denomination 😆 . It works but would be easier to get a plastic bin with a foam/rubber seal and keep them together.