Home General Discussion
Options

Tobacco Insight

2»

Comments

• Options
    Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a fantastic Steve Saka interview published at the beginning of this year. Highly recommend a full read.

Topics of Discussion:

• origins and blending of the Sin, Unstolen Valor, Uboat and more
    • pandemic cigar boom
    • reflecting on his time at JR & DE
    • tweaking existing blends

Interview: Steve Saka of Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust

In 2015, Steve Saka realized a life-long dream. He established Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust. His very own cigar company where he could create cigars based on what he felt was right. Prior to achieving this goal, Saka had established himself in the cigar world by creating the Liga Privada blend while working for Drew Estate. Before jumping on board with Drew Estate, Steve was an executive assistant for Lew Rothman (previous owner of JR Cigars). Working for these two cigar industry heavyweights, Saka gained immeasurable knowledge and experience that he leveraged to establish himself in the business and create his company.

In five short years, Steve Saka has produced highly regarded hits such as Sin Compromiso, Muestra de Saka, Mi Querida, Sobremesa, Todos Las Dias, and Umbagog. Plus, he’s even had a Sasquatch named after him.

We were able to catch up with Steve for an interview as he rolled cigar samples from his home in New Hampshire…

https://www.neptunecigar.com/tips/interview-steve-saka-of-dunbarton-tobacco-and-trust

• Options
    Trentthomas90Trentthomas90 Posts: 30 ✭✭✭

@Yakster i didn't even realize the shape affected the taste that much

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

@Trentthomas90 said:
    @Yakster i didn't even realize the shape affected the taste that much

Pick a cigar that you regularly enjoy...then buy it in different sizes and/or shapes if the maker offers them. Once you hone in your tastes you’ll be amazed how much it affects the flavors you can get from a cigar. It comes down to the ratios of fillers to wrapper and binder. Increase the one you like the best to get the best results.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

Yeah, what Rusty said. The wrapper leaf may be picked primarily for a lot of the flavor and the filler helps with the burn and the strength so a corona may give you more wrapper flavor while a Gorda may give you more strength. This is not to say that the binder and filler don't give good flavor. Some blenders actually change the blend based on the vitola (size/shape) to make sure that the contribution of the wrapper / binder / filler remains in balance.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@Yakster said:
    Yeah, what Rusty said. The wrapper leaf may be picked primarily for a lot of the flavor and the filler helps with the burn and the strength so a corona may give you more wrapper flavor while a Gorda may give you more strength. This is not to say that the binder and filler don't give good flavor. Some blenders actually change the blend based on the vitola (size/shape) to make sure that the contribution of the wrapper / binder / filler remains in balance.

Ahh that makes a lot of sense. I just assumed they kept it the same and just changed the shape/size.

• Options

THIEVES STEAL 75,000 CIGARS FROM CLE WAREHOUSE
    via Halfwheel

Over the weekend, thieves broke into the CLE Cigar Co. warehouse in Miami, stealing 74,320 cigars.

Most of the SKUs stolen were from the Asylum brand, though a variety of CLE and Eiora cigars were taken as well. In addition, CLE warehouses some U.S. inventory for Patoro, which was also stolen.

Christian Eiroa, founder of CLE, told halfwheel that security cameras recorded three people entering the company’s warehouse at 4650 NW 74th Ave. between 11 p.m.-1:30 a.m. late Saturday night. He said that there may have been additional people, but that the security cameras only captured three people.

While the thieves took nearly 75,000 cigars, they didn’t take all of CLE’s inventory in Miami. Eiroa believes the thieves only took what they could fit in a single truck. He declined to say the value of the cigars stolen.

The list of goods stolen includes various SKUS from:

Asylum 8
    Asylum 13
    Asylum Insidious
    Asylum Nyctophilia
    CLE Connecticut/Corojo/Habano
    Eiroa
    Eiroa CBT
    Lobotomy
    Medulla
    Schizo

Yesterday, halfwheel reported that Patoro had suffered a break-in, that’s because CLE houses some of Patoro’s U.S. inventory in its warehouse. Patoro says that it can still fulfill orders through the UPS Cigars Direct program, which allows for companies to ship cigars directly from the Dominican Republic to stores in the U.S. This includes the U.S. Customs clearing process and the collection of taxes.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

🤔🤔🤔 Miami huh?? Wonder if one of the culprits were wearing white pants and a skipper hat🤔🤔🤔

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fücking robby

• Options

Yea I read about the tax hike I think on someone else's post. As someone who really decided to get into it this year...contributing to the rise I guess...hoping it doesn't get too crazy.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few months ago, somebody here (yakster, I think) mentioned the weekly video chat by Light 'em Up Lounge hosted by Reinhard Pohorec every Wednesday. https://lightemupworld.com/

It has been a wealth of information from a wide variety of guests, and I strongly recommend getting on their email list and joining in. Today, the guest was David Perez of SPA Enterprises, one of the premier tobacco growers, specializing in wrapper production for many of the fine cigars we enjoy. His insights and expertise were invaluable, and a great 90min of education. Do yourself a favor, take part in the meetings and/or watch their archived interviews.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

Got time to kill, here you go. Some good nuggets of knowledge here… and also a mild to severe case of adhd

https://youtu.be/M5wvhT_RrIw

• Options

Took me all day between jobs on the road but I really enjoy listening to stuff like that thxs @Cam_91

• Options

@Jrflickster said:
    Took me all day between jobs on the road but I really enjoy listening to stuff like that thxs @Cam_91

Same here, listening to legends like this talk is always entertaining. …Now accept my trade request for fantasy lol

• Options

I would but I feel like accepting would be admitting fault for sending ertz back to waiver once he was traded

• Options

@Jrflickster said:
    I would but I feel like accepting would be admitting fault for sending ertz back to waiver once he was traded

I forgot you dropped him lmao

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a reasonable explanation of tar buildup...
    https://youtu.be/nxm_bA6V5MM

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis