Home General Discussion
Options

Haier Wine Thermoelectric To Humidor

I know this question has been asked but honestly, I am too lazy too do the research. I have done research online with both Google and YouTube and have found some valuable information but I am looking for specific answers. Any information would help.
-I have a Haier 12 Bottle Themal Electric but all I read about is a Thermoelectric. What is the difference? I type in Thermal Electric and it does not exist.

-The temp control does not drop below 65 for the bottom and 59 for the top. Can I still do the conversion?

-If all works well, what would be the best to control the humidity? Beads? silica pellets? Cigar Oasis humidifier?

What else would I need besides the Cedar shelves for the conversion?

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Chief

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would it need to be lower than 65 or 59???
    BOVEDA
    Cedar shelves aren’t necessary unless you just want them.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi there.
    Do you smoke cigars?
    How many forums have you asked this question on?
    Where do you live?
    What do you do?
    Share with us some of the "valuable information" you've learned in your Google and You Tube searches.
    Do you already have a humidor of some sort?
    How many cigars do you tend to keep on hand?
    Have you thought of Tupperware?
    Or some other food-grade plastic airtight container?
    What's a 12 bottle Thermal Electric?
    Holds 12 bottles? Sounds small.
    Spanish cedar is mahogany, not regular cedar.
    How did you come to find our forum?
    Have you visited us before?
    Under this same name?
    Do you wonder why I'm asking you all these questions?
    There's a reason.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

I am going to answer your question because you were at least honest enough to say that you were too lazy to type your exact question into the search bar and get all the answers.

I didn't know there was a difference between thermoelectric and thermal electric, but there is definitely is a difference and I have a pretty good guess on what it is.

You can definitely do the conversion. Hell you could convert a closet or a condenser based refrigerator into a humidor if you wanted to. It's a world of possibilities.

All of those things you mentioned our humidity control devices. There are also a couple of other options that would be really good too. Better, in fact, maybe.

You would need a couple of other things to complete your conversion.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    OwenOwen Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a point to being a **** to the guy?

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Owen said:
    Is there a point to being a **** to the guy?

You must be gnu here

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options

No, just don’t see the point

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

D Z R

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options

@Owen said:
    No, just don’t see the point

It's nothing personal. We have guys who post under "burner" names to rile up the regulars. We have other guys who post here and then just disappear forever. We are generally dïcks to each other, just because we love each other. We get the same 10 questions 343 times a year. It's a little hazing of the new guy. There are a few other reasons too. It's not personal for sure ...

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Oh, and this guy is on 2 million foreign dating websites and a Mercedes Benz forum lol

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Lol

• Options
    Chief1775Chief1775 Posts: 7

@Rdp77 said:
    Why would it need to be lower than 65 or 59???
    BOVEDA
    Cedar shelves aren’t necessary unless you just want them.

I wouldn't. I am just saying that is all they adjust to. I have left it on overnight, inside my home. The top is not at 59 and the bottom stays at 77.

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Hi there.
    Do you smoke cigars?
    How many forums have you asked this question on?
    Where do you live?
    What do you do?
    Share with us some of the "valuable information" you've learned in your Google and You Tube searches.
    Do you already have a humidor of some sort?
    How many cigars do you tend to keep on hand?
    Have you thought of Tupperware?
    Or some other food-grade plastic airtight container?
    What's a 12 bottle Thermal Electric?
    Holds 12 bottles? Sounds small.
    Spanish cedar is mahogany, not regular cedar.
    How did you come to find our forum?
    Have you visited us before?
    Under this same name?
    Do you wonder why I'm asking you all these questions?
    There's a reason.

Answers in order
    Yes
    This is my first and only
    Visalia, CA
    Teacher
    So far I have learned that I need to clean this winedor with baking soda and water and I need to get some Boveda packs or some form of humidity control. I have my own countertop humidor but I have out grown it. I am familiar with keeping my sticks at 65 to 70 humidity. I do prefer them at around 65, some sticks at 70 are over humidified and I have not enjoyed them as much as others.
    Yes, countertop
    Over 50
    Yes, but I got this winedor for free sooooo
    I have no clue. So far, I have gone to the Haier Website and even their models state "Thermoelectric." The data plate on the back is the only place that states "Thermal Electric."
    Yes, holds 12
    Copy on Cedar
    Google
    No
    Yes
    Answers are important to your responses. You know more about a person from the questions you are asking.

• Options

To all that have answered, thank you.

I do have some follow on information. I have left unit plugged in over night. It is a dual zone, so the top is now at 59 degrees and the bottom is a 77 degrees. I need to clean the unit and test the humidity.

Once that is done, should I add Boveda packs or Beads? What works best? I have used Boveda packs in my countertop Humidor but not really sure how well that worked. I have had the humidor without packs and it has stayed at 68% in a house that stays at around 77 degrees. With Boveda packs, between 64% and 72% and the the reading was the same as without packs.

Whats the next step? I want to pack this thing to about 80% full. I have about 40 sticks on hand now, but I am sure I will have another 20 before the month is over.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

Some crazy cats even just unplug the fridge and use it as a humidor. Gets a bit hot in Visalia, though, so it'd be nice to get it working. Expect it to not keep the temp below 70 when it gets real hot, it'll probably only cool to within 10 degrees below ambient temps. My wine fridge can only be set to a max of 65, even though I'd rather it was higher. Whenever the power goes out to the fridge it resets to a lower temp in the 50s so I need to remember to check and change it.

Mine came without the shelves but I found a large cooling tray at Michaels that fit perfectly once I cut it to length.

https://www.michaels.com/cooling-rack-by-celebrate-it/10058219.html

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@peter4jc
    I really do not believe this will be a hassle since in theory, I can just leave this unplugged and the seal alone will help this process. Not to mention the storage this provides. If all else fails, I can use it to store the boxes that I buy and keep them clean and stored. IF ALL ELSE FAILS, I can use it for its intended purpose, wine.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beads work and have a cheaper entry cost, but they're a bit more of a hassle to get to where you want to be as well as maintain. Bovedas are set-it-and-forget it, and if you recharge them, the cost evens out.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

lol, @Chief1775 , you might make it here. Sense of humor helps. As has been said above, we get all kinds of questions like yours, and we used to, sometimes still do, go out of our way to provide answers only to find that someone was basically just trying to yank our chain. It gets tiresome.

Re: humidification, I personally use the black-ice from humicare in conjunction with Bovedas. When the humidity starts dropping, a little distilled water into the black-ice jars, when they start releasing their water the Bovedas equalize everything. My bovedas last a couple years this way. The humi-care jars have been good for about 5 years at a time. I replace them when the gel-beads start turning color.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

The black ice works good. I use those too

• Options

@peter4jc said:
    Beads work and have a cheaper entry cost, but they're a bit more of a hassle to get to where you want to be as well as maintain. Bovedas are set-it-and-forget it, and if you recharge them, the cost evens out.

Bovedas it is.

• Options

To all that have provided some insight. I greatly appreciate it. The winedor has been unplugged, cleaned, hygrometer is in route, ordering bovedas, and wine in the event all goes bad, LOL. Will come back in a few days when all has settled and let you all know how things turned out.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

A quick email to the manufacturer will do. Find out if it is a condenser style, if it is just unplug it and use it that way.
    Boveda for the win.