Home Cigar 101
Options

Hygrometer alternative to the butler?

TexasToastTexasToast Posts: 37 ✭✭

Well I’m not even gonna say much but the thing finally did what everybody said it was going to do and I need some suggestions for a new hygrometer for my Coolidor

Comments

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zederkoff

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

great price and no longer available

• Options

Really? Says in stock for me

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank (s) battery dropped 9% in 35 minutes

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

I am deleting my original reply. Why? I already gave the same hygrometer recommendation to the same guy in one of his other "help me" threads back in January and I hate being that guy who always tells the same stories over and over.

Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

The ones I was gonna recommend are also no longer available from Amazon. Figures since they were very cheap and very accurate, they all calibrated within 2%,
    Goabroa brand.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Really? Says in stock for me

I went directly to the Veanic Store web site, not Amazon. Glad they are in stock at Amazon even though I think it is the devil incarnate.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use these or the little round ones in each of my storage boxes and have one of them out in the open to monitor the ambient air. They work fairly well. After calibrating (which I should do again, as it's been 5 years) I marked each one how far off it was, i.e., +4, +6. It doesn't matter if it's off as long as you know it's off. Kinda like Frank; he's off but we know it so it doesn't matter.

The downside to these is the button batteries... they use two each and if you have 8 of 'em and they die every year or two, it's a pain. I'd almost rather go with Bob's idea; it'd cost more up front but be way more convenient down the road.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just make sure you check the calibration of what ever you get, most are +/- 5% on humidity, more than I prefer.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

There are a lot of ways to calibrate a digital hygrometer. The best way is to throw it in a Ziploc with a brand new boveda. And let it sit there for a day. Far less than a day probably works but a day definitely works. Subtract the boveda number from your hygrometer number. The good thing about the digital ones is that The amount they are off isn't a sliding scale. If it's 5% off, it's 5% off all the way through the scale. I put little red and green dots on mine to indicate whether or not to subtract or to add percentage points. One green dot means to add a point, and one red one means to subtract a point.

You can use the salt solution way, but I found that to be very inconsistent unless you're measuring the salt and the water in grams.

Caution, many of these cheap hygrometers are very inaccurate once you get below 30 and above 90%. Hopefully your humidor doesn't rest below 30 or above 90.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    BlackRifle1776BlackRifle1776 Posts: 12 ✭✭

Go for govee, I dumped butlers for govee and have been happy ever since..

• Options
    MountainSmokeMountainSmoke Posts: 104 ✭✭✭✭

@TexasToast said:
    Well I’m not even gonna say much but the thing finally did what everybody said it was going to do and I need some suggestions for a new hygrometer for my Coolidor

I don't even mess with those anymore I just buy the heart beads at 65 to 67% and let it ride never had a problem for years and years