Home General Discussion

Minor upgrade to my 300ct Audew box

BrokegunnerBrokegunner Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭

My lovely wife bought me a humidor for our anniversary and somehow it didn't get shipped in time so they offered to upgrade from the 150 to the 300 for only $70... SCORE!!

So I've had this around a month. Cleaned it, seasoned it, FILLED IT to the brim with cigars and it's running great. The only problem is the crap hygrometer that comes with it reads 80% when it's 65. I have a nice Xikar digital that I set in the tray and I look at it quite often to relieve my anxiety. Today I thought "gee why do I have the crappy one visible on display when it's not accurate?" And before anyone tells me the obvious, yes I know they can be calibrated but it has a huge blob of orange paint on the adjustment screw and I barely touched it with a knife which made the needle try to escape the housing... so getting the paint off will pretty much destroy the $2 gauge.

I pulled the drawer out, went out to the workshop and tried to figure out what's holding it in the drawer as it seems very difficult to remove. As I suspected, it's held in with Chinese glue. I had to run a sharp exacto blade around the edge to keep the wood fibers from tearing off as I punched out the old meter from the rear.

Now I checked the new meter and it is slightly larger, plus there is a button to select F° or C° (anyone impressed that I know the ALT code for that?) and that button is on the circumference of the portion that slides into the wooden drawer. So I used a half round file to smooth out the wood and remove the old glue. It also opened up the hole enough to get the new meter in. Then I used a square file to cut the notch for the button, after marking it.

Here's a few pics of the new meter installed, with the old analog meter, and a pic of the box in case anyone is looking to order the same one. Seems to be a great upgrade for the Audew.

"Not all heroes eat crepes"

Comments

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's cool, But you're humidor is not. 84° man! You're going to grow bugs!

I have that same humidor. Interesting idea.

I don't know the alt code for degrees, but when I'm doing talk to type and say 84°, the little circle is printed. 😆

Don't look ↑
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

That's great. I usually just search for degree symbol and cut and paste the symbol instead of remembering the alt code. I used to have the alt codes remembered for the em dash and en dash and then decided that I didn't care that much about the difference in the length of the dash. I was overjoyed to learn that you can hit 7 for the bullet point (•) instead of remembering the traditional alt code. I use that all the time inside Excel workbooks for updates.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • BrokegunnerBrokegunner Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    That's cool, But you're humidor is not. 84° man! You're going to grow bugs!

I have that same humidor. Interesting idea.

I don't know the alt code for degrees, but when I'm doing talk to type and say 84°, the little circle is printed. 😆

The door was open for a bit, and I had it in the shop which is about 95ºF (BTW the code on the PC is to hold down the ALT key and type 167 and that will get you the degree symbol).

• BrokegunnerBrokegunner Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Patrickbrick said:
    Did anyone else laugh their ass off at "filled to the brim"?

Yeah OK I guess I exaggerated a little on that description, but I'm trying to keep a little air flow around them too. I wish it had more drawers, as those flat pallets don't work for loose cigars. I finally figured out I could put 5 or 6 in an open ziplock bag and at least get some kind of a stack going but it's still not the way I would like it.

• Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brokegunner said:
    I have a nice Xikar digital that I set in the tray and I look at it quite often to relieve my anxiety.

Try a SensorPush. This way you don’t have to go to the humi to check. Worth the investment, and it comes calibrated 100% spot on.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

With Boveda's the need for wireless hygrometers is secondary.

I should really change those batteries in my Boveda Butlers some day.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )