Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Fence Gate help

YaksterYakster Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2021 in Non Cigar Related

So, I have a problem with a leaning fence that keeps binding up my gate. My neighbor years ago leaned a bunch of heavy objects against our fence causing it to lean in towards me and then he replaced the fence, but just the boards and not the posts so we have a new fence and it still keeps leaning more and more. I've had to trim my gate to get it to shut and today put in a board to stop it.

I want to put in an arch so I don't hit my head against the board, but I don't want to spend a lot of money. Anyone have any ideas what I could do here?

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Comments

• Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster I’m pretty sure I will hit my head on that a few times at next weeks Herf! 😂

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sitka Pro fence post mix.
    You'll want to pull the post, dig it out a little, level the post and pour it in.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

@0patience said:
    You'll want to pull the post, dig it out a little, level the post and pour it in.

I was hoping to avoid that work, there's more than one leaning post involved, but it may have to come to that.

@NorCalR1 I can try to remember to pull that out before you come over. It's just a friction fit right now.

• Options

@Yakster said:

@0patience said:

I was hoping to avoid that work, there's more than one leaning post involved, but it may have to come to that.

@NorCalR1 I can try to remember to pull that out before you come over. It's just a friction fit right now.

You could always drive some wedges into the ground to straighten it.
    They usually last a couple years before they are problems again.
    I usually will either make some about 12" long or so and drive them along side the post. If they are fairly thick, they usually will stiffen the post up pretty well.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or... you could tell yourself "listen, buster, you have the money to do it right and hire a fence company, even to replace the whole fence"... if you wanted to. I always have enjoyed finding a frugal solution to fixing things, and still do, but some of us are reaching the stage in life where it might just be a wiser choice of time/effort/money to let someone else do it.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used four foot metal stakes to straighten wood posts. Just drive them in with a three pound hammer. Tony's suggestion about using a post hole digger and concrete will fix things once and for all. Good luck, good fences make good neighbors.

• Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know you’re a nice guy an’ all, but, ‘t’were it me, I’d be knockin’ on said “neighbor’s” door. “Look, sport...you caused this by being a dipsh*t. I’ve been more than courteous about it but it needs to be fixed. I’m willing to fix it, but you gotta kick in to help out.” When he refuses, cause he’s gonna, I’d just push the soddin’ thing over into his yard and replace it with a new fence.

But that’s just me an’ I’m a curmudgeonly Ole Phartte who has a serious disdain for the vast majority of humanity.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Here's another photo showing one of the fence post that's bowed in the middle towards my yard. This is the worst one. It's not so much a problem with the base of the post being anchored. My neighbor is an ass and we're not really on speaking terms.

• Options
    Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh that’s an easier fix, metal brackets or something similar should solve it

• Options

At our old house, there was a fence between my back field and the neighbor's field.
    One night, a herd of elk decided they wanted to go from his field to mine, to get to my apple trees.
    Elk don't go over fences, they go through them and in doing so, destroyed about 30' of fence.

The neighbor wanted to know what I was going to about the fence.
    I told him nothing.
    The fence was there to keep HOA dogs in his yard. I don't have that problem.

He couldn't believe I was just going to leave it like that and not fix it.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: