Home Non Cigar Related
Options

I hate buying new vehicles.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2021 in Non Cigar Related

I want a Silverado 2500 4x4.
So I got to the Chevy website, build my truck and.....
No available trucks the way I want. With the options and set up I want, $48,000.
Made my butt pucker.
So the ones I have found it dealers are all $80,000+.
That's not just a no, that's a he!! No!

Oh, but they have so many more options, they say.
Options that I won't freak in use.
Car sales are scams now.
We don't have the lower price vehicle you are looking for, but we have the same one for double the price, cause it has sparkles on it.

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    The best argument from a car salesman that I've heard is "those features help with re-sale value". To which I reply "I'm not buying it to sell it, that's your thing. I'm buying it to drive the hell out of it for as long as possible."

Agreed. This will likely be the last brand new vehicles I never buy.
    If I get the right property, either with a shop or build a shop on it, I will have several other vehicles.
    I have only ever traded in 2 vehicles.
    And we didn"t get near what we should have for them.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right now getting the new vehicle you want can be a serious problem. It’s not just them trying to get you to trade up...dealerships all across the country are having trouble getting new vehicles. A friend of mine that owns a Dodge dealership just told me this weekend that he has about 15% of the new inventory that he normally has. It’s the main reason trades are garnering such high prices right now.

• Options
    Phil_from_ChicagoPhil_from_Chicago Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

The chip shortage doesn't help the current situation either right now.

Originally from Chicago

I enjoy good cigars and bourbon,

• Options

@Rdp77 said:
    Right now getting the new vehicle you want can be a serious problem. It’s not just them trying to get you to trade up...dealerships all across the country are having trouble getting new vehicles. A friend of mine that owns a Dodge dealership just told me this weekend that he has about 15% of the new inventory that he normally has. It’s the main reason trades are garnering such high prices right now.

Yeah, seems to be an issue. Dealer here is willing to go $5k over blue book on our current vehicle. Mostly cause it only had 14,000 miles on it.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s an industry wide issue that does not appear to be ending anytime soon. We have vehicles from all manufacturers that have no delivery eta due to the chip shortage. On manufacturer cut off the order bank for 2022 models and stated they won’t start taking orders again until late 2022 for 2023 models..

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:
    So I got to the Chevy website, build my truck and.....
    No available trucks the way I want. With the options and set up I want, $48,000.
    Made my butt pucker.
    So the ones I have found it dealers are all $80,000+.
    That's not just a no, that's a he!! No!

Oh, but they have so many more options, they say.
    Options that I won't freak in use.
    Car sales are scams now.
    We don't have the lower price vehicle you are looking for, but we have the same one for double the price, cause it has sparkles on it.

Let me start by saying you are NOT an Aszz Tony. But they know there is an aszz for every seat and a seat for every aszz. They are getting high option vehicles because they have the highest markup. I had a friend in the industry. He told me “you want no frills…. Order it. It won’t be on our lot”

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not just cars, we're having trouble getting some of our hardware Access Point products.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tony, I’m still in the process of ordering the 2022 2SS 1LE 55TH Anniversary with options. It has not been an easy experience. Everything is straight MSRP, problem is dealer that I can order it from right now the fleet manager ordering guy is a fvcking ass hole and he’s the only one with an Allocation Slip for this damn car.

Trucks, forget it with the chip shortage right now. All chips are mainly going to the higher dollar stuff, hence the prices are absurd. Supply and demand. For cars Chevrolet is getting chips for Corvettes, Camaro’s, Volt and one of the crossover models.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel your pain Tony I've been trying to buy a Silverado 2500 or 3500 since last winter and I'm pretty flexible on options/packages but I absolutely want it in Oxford brown that's where the problem is for me.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife bought one from carvana in about 6 minutes. Yep, used. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. It is 1-year-old and has 8,000 mi on it. 18 grand off of last year's MSRP.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

I too am in the market for a truck to pull the bigger boat I bought. It sux. Wrong time to buy. I'm such a cheap **** that I have 5 vehicles, none of them have less than 150k on them :D . Needless to say, I am busy doing repairs regularly. That education at Universal Technical Institute still comes in handy, even though I gave up being a mechanic back in 1993

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Options
    CtheHamCtheHam Posts: 205 ✭✭✭✭

I work for Honda at their transmission plant. We are having such a hard time getting parts from our suppliers (not just the chips), that we are only producing about 40% of what we could because the frame plants can't build enough cars. We are staying as busy as we can, but we can only store so many parts. The big wigs here like to have have inventory on the lots around 30 days or something like that to make sure there is something for everybody as they go to the dealers to shop for a new car. I guess we have been only having about 6-7 day inventory average.

@0patience said:

If you are willing to look at a GMC rather than a Chevy, you may look at https://www.laurabuickgmc.com/
    That is supposed to be the largest GMC dealer and they work on volume. I have heard of many people buying from them, flying there, they pick you up, and you drive away an hour later. Supposedly good prices and easy to work with. No personal experience though, just word of mouth.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Making arrangements now w/ a freight carrier to come and pick up my '15 Accord. Vroom is paying $21.5K for it. Just for fun, I let them make an offer on my 2mo.-shy-of-3year-old Subaru Impreza; $23.6K. I only paid $24K for it in Nov. '18.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@CtheHam said:
    I work for Honda at their transmission plant. We are having such a hard time getting parts from our suppliers (not just the chips), that we are only producing about 40% of what we could because the frame plants can't build enough cars. We are staying as busy as we can, but we can only store so many parts. The big wigs here like to have have inventory on the lots around 30 days or something like that to make sure there is something for everybody as they go to the dealers to shop for a new car. I guess we have been only having about 6-7 day inventory average.

@0patience said:

If you are willing to look at a GMC rather than a Chevy, you may look at https://www.laurabuickgmc.com/
    That is supposed to be the largest GMC dealer and they work on volume. I have heard of many people buying from them, flying there, they pick you up, and you drive away an hour later. Supposedly good prices and easy to work with. No personal experience though, just word of mouth.

That might be an option. Looks like I may have to go to Missouri in a couple months anyways. I have no problem getting a GMC. If they have what I am looking for, I could deal withthe property and buy a pickup all in one trip. 😊
    Since I deal with Ford, Dodge, Jeep, GMC/Chevy and Toyota at work and we've had the leash amount of problems with Chevy, that's my choice of vehicle for a pickup.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:
    Well, it looks like we are going with a 2021 Tundra 4x4 for $38,000 with 3 miles on it.
    I couldn't pass it up.

That's really high mileage! :D

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Options

Life lesson.
    When your gal says, "It's fine. Do what you want."
    It is a trap. DO NOT listen to them. They lie.
    It is NOT fine and DO NOT do what you want.

What do you think of this truck?
    It's fine.
    Ok, I'll get this one.
    Do what you want.

Afterward, "You settled. Why did you settle? I thought you wanted blue."

Can't win.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you found something you like. I just keep thinking I've bought houses for less than the current truck prices.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

I've definitely bought houses for less than I paid for this one.
    Then again, the cost of everything is insane right now.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: