Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar Oasis Issues

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally getting back to stocking up my humidor with cigars. I use a Cigar Oasis and it's worked fine until now. It keeps shutting itself off but if I unplug it and plug it back in it comes back on and works fine for a short time. Anyone have this problem or solution? Did the ol Google search and the only thing I found was there could be loose water in the cartridge which is not my problem. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back broski

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options

Thanks. I've been lurking in the pipe section. Trying to get my stick game going again amd this thing is driving me crazy.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Off off or the fan stops?

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a faulty electrical connection or a motor obstruction?

Try blowing some compressed air into the fan motor where the blades spin. It might be getting hot because of debris creating friction that is impeding the blades from turning freely. It's been sitting for a while, and a little dust could have built up in that time. Might be enough to make a difference.

As for electrical, I'm no expert, but I once had a receptacle that felt loose when I plugged stuff into it. It would constantly turn stuff off. 200 clams later, the electrician told me that sometimes they get loose, and he tightened the receptive with a screwdriver.

I also overfilled my CO3 with beads and they ended up inhibiting the fan...had to dump some and then worked good.

Worst case it could be a bad capacitor on the control board. Easy solder job if you know how to do it, but I don't know how to do it...

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@Patrickbrick said:
    Off off or the fan stops?

Off off. If I unplug it and plug it back in comes right back on and runs fine for a day or two. Might look at the outlet like @VegasFrank said but I don't think that is the issue. Going to try to make sure the fan area is clean too.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would check the connection port from the power cord to the unit as well.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surprised someone hasn't said "Boveda" yet.

• Options

@silvermouse said:

That's only for rookies

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@silvermouse said:

Anytime I get any I throw them in there. They were great for Tupperware back in the day when I had them all over. I don't have a ton of stuff yet but I bought some good stuff and I don't want them traumatized. Have 2 trays full and a nice Opus stash in the bottom with a few other gems. I need this humidifier in top shape before I get anything else. May message them directly. May just need to upgrade to one of their newest and latest models. This thing is 6 or 7 years old but it's always worked great. I have what looks like the Excel 3.0 but my screen doesn't light up so it is probably the previous model.

• Options
    Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had one doing the same thing. In my case I pinched the wire where the coolidor lid closed on it

Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

• Options

@Far_North_64 said:
    I had one doing the same thing. In my case I pinched the wire where the coolidor lid closed on it

Mine has that ribbon wire that goes into it. It lays flat. I just added my distilled water when I posted this and so far it hasn't shut back off. Maybe that ribbon wire has some wear to it or maybe I let the water absorb longer. Idk but so far working good this time.. I am going to keep an eye on it and maybe invest in a new one for Christmas or maybe I'll replace the ribbon wire first and see if it is the issue.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

They use USB power now and it is thicker than the ribbon cable. My humi doesn't shut as well as it used to.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

Funny thing is I make this post and now I am having no issues at all. It's been an ongoing issue for months but one of you has voodoo magic because now it works fine and my cigars are doing great. Been keeping an eye on it and the unit hasn't powered off and my humidity and temps are perfect. :)

• Options

You're welcome!

Don't look ↑