Home Non Cigar Related
Options

I hadn't planned on this.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had planned on retiring soon.
What I didn't plan on, was my hearing is at a point where I won't pass my CDL physical and without the CDL physical card, I have no CDL. Without my CDL, I have no job.
In the mean time, battling with workman's comp for the hearing being work related, cause being a heavy equipment mechanic for 40 years couldn't possibly be the reason for hearing loss..
Which in itself is a nightmare.

So there is a real possibility that if I can't get a waiver, I retire next month, instead of next year.
And my pension takes 3 months to get going and I'm not ready financially for that.
I would be in January, as my house should be sold by then, but not November, when we are still clearing things out in the house to get it ready to sell.

Crap.

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you not able to use a hearing aid for the test? You have to take a vision test but are allowed to use glasses. Cdl standards here seem to get tougher every two years that I go. Some examiners measure your neck as some kind of measurement for narcolepsy. I’d look into the hearing aid. I wouldn’t see how it would be any different than wearing glasses.

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    Are you not able to use a hearing aid for the test? You have to take a vision test but are allowed to use glasses. Cdl standards here seem to get tougher every two years that I go. Some examiners measure your neck as some kind of measurement for narcolepsy. I’d look into the hearing aid. I wouldn’t see how it would be any different than wearing glasses.

I can. At my expense.
    The battle with workman's comp has things all fouled up.
    So while I can purchase hearing aids for the CDL physical, I don't think I will.
    Or I might buy those cheapo things. But I'm at a point right now, where I may let them pull my CDL and terminate me. Just moves my timeline up a bit.
    My retirement was going to be between now and next October anyways, so it really isn't a huge deal.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck, Tony, whatever you end up doing.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.