Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Trading?

New here, but not to cigars...
Looking to some trading with other (intermediate level) enthusiasts.

Could use some guidance on getting some dialogue going...if this is permissible.

Thanks,
Duff

Best Answers

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@wwwduff said:
    New here, but not to cigars...
    Looking to some trading with other (intermediate level) enthusiasts.

Could use some guidance on getting some dialogue going...if this is permissible.

Thanks,
    Duff

First introduce yourself. Hang out for a while and get to know people. If someone is willing to sponsor your newbie trade, you will have to send first (unestablished and all). They will notify everyone when they have received your end, and then send theirs in response. After some time you will be vouched for as a good trader, and then you get to hang out and play with the others in the sandbox.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓

Good morning, Duff, welcome to the forum.

We've got a long standing tradition here on this forum for Newbies that helps to welcome new members and also weed out drive-by's and hoaxes.

1. We encourage new members to post on the Newbie Welcoming Thread (click here)
    2. After 50 posts, we welcome you to get yourself on the Good Trader's List by signing up and completing your Newbie Trade (click here) where you'll be paired with someone and you'll send your end of the trade first and then get return fire.
    3. Once that's completed, you're welcome to participate in the trades, passes, bombs, and the monthly lottery drawing.

I started tracking my cigar inventory on a Google Sheet, but I haven't kept up with it. Nowadays I keep trades in the bags they came in and write the name of the person I got the cigars from on the bag and keep it in a 62 quart IRIS Weather Tight crate with Bovedas inside.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Oh, and before I go, we have a vHerf (virtual Herf - click here) on Zoom regularly, it's a great way to meet active members, get and give cigar recommendations, arrange trades and box spits, and just hang out and chew the fat.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓

1st, go to the General Discussion section and introduce yourself in The Newbie Welcoming Thread.

2nd, Look at the first thread in this column, (Trades, Passes and Bombs) and you'll see The Newbie Trading thread. Ask your question regarding trades there.

3rd, I can't speak for anyone else, but 2 things come to mind:

I rarely trade with even long established members, but there are many who trade all the time. Someone will probably show an interest.

And, my cigar inventory method is:

Put new cigars in tupperware with boveda pack and place tupperware container into large air-tight cooler. Later, move some out of many containers into wooden humidors when those start looking a little empty. Then, rummage around and pick out whatever I'm feeling like at the moment. If I can't find something in particular, it must be time to go shopping.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Answers

• Options
    wwwduffwwwduff Posts: 2

What are some ways any of you are logging your cigar inventory?
    I started with Cigar Scanner, but have fallen off with it. Just curious if there is anything better?

• Options

Lol, I read the OP's question and thought, hmm, no one's answered. Looks like several of us were typing away at the same time.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, Duff. What brands/cigars do you enjoy? I'd be happy to trade with you once you meet your quota.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

I keep a mental inventory of every single one of my cigars. I know who they're from, when I got them, where I bought them if I bought them, what humidor they are in, what box or drawer they are in, and how crinkly the cello is.

Go ahead, ask me if I have a particular cigar and I will tell you!

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Interesting. No entries in either Newbie thread, no further posts. I wonder what he really wanted?

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

could be this guy?
    https://www.duff.com/about