Home Non Cigar Related

Heartbroken

Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

This is way too soon. If we could only have more time. Our hearts are crushed, the tears keep coming.

Ezio (Dirty Ezio, Dirty E) got his name before we even met him. Tori and I were watching Robinhood – Men in Tights and during the scene where they have a “sit down” with Don Giovanni, the Don introduces his two associates: Dirty Ezio and Filthy Luca. We laughed about what a great name Dirty Ezio would be for a cat. Not long after, we visited a shelter that my brother volunteered at, where we met about 60 cats in a single day. The first that caught our eye was a big, bruiser looking cat (he was 19 pounds at his heaviest) with a crooked ear. He looked mean. I asked my brother if he was friendly and he said “yeah, super friendly.” I let him sniff me and started to pet him. I hit his spot (just on the back of his neck) and he just leaned all his weight into me. I looked at Tori and said “he kinda looks like a Dirty Ezio.” My brother said his name was Zeke. That name had to go.

We met the other cat that would become his brother (Cesare – formerly Simon), who came over to me, curled up in my lap and started purring. I told Randy, if they get along, we’ll take them both. Well, they got along and so, we adopted 2 cats.

Ezio always had issues with that crooked ear and we knew there was a good chance we’d have to remove it someday. This past May, things with his ear got pretty bad and it was around that time that Tori noticed a small lump behind his ear. Our Vet took a sample of cells and sent them out for staining – they came back as cancerous. We knew we were going to have to remove his ear, so it made sense to remove the ear and tumor at the same time. Hoping it was behind us, we kept a close eye on him. After the surgery, he recovered quickly and was a completely different cat. The nervous, scared cat that people never got to meet was suddenly friendly and social. It was amazing to see that positive change. Then, Tori felt another lump. Again, our vet took a sample, had it stained and it came back as the same cancer (adenocarcinoma) – it was back and had metastasized. ****. We moved forward with chemo and high hopes. He took his first round of chemo like a champ. The first week, things seemed to be going well. By week 2, the tumors had started growing again. This past week, it was almost as if he aged another year every day.

The last thing we wanted to do was see him suffer, but also selfishly didn’t want to let him go. We wanted more time with him. He deserved more time to enjoy his new life. Before we adopted him, he was found, living under a shed in Maine. He was an amazing cat, who just wanted to eat, snuggle and nap. He had this child-like innocence to him and was such a sweet boy.

Tonight, we had to say goodbye to our little buddy. We’ll always miss him, his little monkey noises and gentile, loving personality. We’ll always love you, Ezio. Rest easy.

Comments

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss. They really become family and it’s always too soon.

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's alway tough to lose a buddy.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences Rob. RIP Ezio.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss, wishing you and your family the best during this tough time.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss Rob, sounds like you made a big difference in his life.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

Thanks, all. Really sucks. Miss him already.

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rob, He's a swell cat! I am so sorry for your loss. Devoted cat lover here and I know your in a lot of pain right now. Lost two of mine both 14 years old, one to stomach cancer, the other I won't even get into that.

Again, my sincere condolences, it just fvcking sucks man but it WILL get better with time.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear it bro

Don't look ↑
  • JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that bud I'm a cat guy myself that sucks...

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sucks, sorry to hear it. I love animals.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry to hear of your loss, But loved reading about her rescue and how much she was loved

no matter where you go, there you are.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bummer. I've lost 3 cats and 2 dogs in the last year. Just scattered the ashes last week. I miss my animals as much (or more) than many people I've known who passed. My deepest sympathy.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

Losing a beloved pet sucks 😞

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

Critters enrich our lives.

• CtheHamCtheHam Posts: 205 ✭✭✭✭

So sorry for your loss. It is always hard when a pet passes and leaves such a huge hole in lives and hearts!