Home Pipes
Options

Dunhill?

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious, anyone smoking Dunhill pipes? I look at them, sometimes really hard looking, but I've yet to pull the trigger on one. Can't quite get past the price tag. Too often it looks like they're asking .$500 for a $125 pipe. Can they really be that much better?

When I was stationed in Germany and smoked cigarettes I'd sometimes buy the Dunhill cigarettes. They were very good. At that time a pack of cigarettes would last me 2 - 4 weeks, so I didn't consider the price prohibitive. But most of the Dunhill pipes that catch my eye are going for $500 - $700. That's too high.

Anyway, any Dunhill pipers?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple that I bought as estate pipes, they are very well engineered and smoke good, classic shapes. But no, they are not worth the cost, unless you are enamored with being seen with a pipe that has a white spot on the stem.

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

Waiting for a birth year/perfect shape/perfect blast/perfect price pipe. I reckon I'll not own one.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an eBay search for a birth year pipes and birth year Dunhill pipes. The scuttlebutt on the pipe forums is that current production Dunhill pipes aren't worth the money they charge, that they're just living off their past reputation.

So far I haven't found anything I've really needed.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same waiting for a birth year..

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what years are you-all's waiting for?

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    I have a couple that I bought as estate pipes, they are very well engineered and smoke good, classic shapes. But no, they are not worth the cost, unless you are enamored with being seen with a pipe that has a white spot on the stem.

Thanks. That's what I needed to hear. Sometimes they just look so good, but then, so do so many others. I could get 2 or 3 Stokebye's or Peterson's for that, and I don't need them, either.

Why do I even look?

More proof that men are visually stimulated creatures. :|

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had a bunch and restored and sold them. I never smoked one. I have looked for a 1974 one but they are always way too expensive. I have a bunch of nice expensive and inexpensive pipes already so I don't know if I will ever get one unless I find an estate one to restore.

• Options

@silvermouse said:

1977 - seen a few in the last year but since I bought a Disney pipe this year I couldn’t justify to expensive pipe purchases.

• Options

@NorCalR1 said:

@silvermouse said:

1977 - seen a few in the last year but since I bought a Disney pipe this year I couldn’t justify to expensive pipe purchases.

Two *

Correction of my typo and post padding.. Double win

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

Part of me wants to buy this but the bigger part says I need to wait. $210 BIN. Looking at this, I can see that without the Dunhill name and birth year I probably wouldn't buy it.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )