Home General Discussion
Options

Health question: Machine made vs hand rolled

I know both of them are bad but are there any stats which show one better over the other?

Since machine made have preservatives and chemicals, they should be worse?

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

fungicides are a healthy alternative to dosing your respiratory system with mold spores...living better through chemistry.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've asked myself the same question, which didn't help, because I didn't know. So, seriously, I avoid the machine rolled cigars altogether. When I was young I smoked them, but I didn't know any better. In the long run, I prefer to stick to the real thing, or nothing.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey! That's my gif!

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was wondering why you hadn't posted it, Peter. Asleep at the wheel.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:

@peter4jc said:

fify

Official gif of Ccom

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

See I’m a little different. I like my machine mades to be hand rolled.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Userdname said:
    I know both of them are bad but are there any stats which show one better over the other?

Who the hell said either were bad for you? Asking stupid questions is just as bad for you. Must be a Karen or a vaper.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:

@Userdname said:

Who the hell said either were bad for you?

That's what I was thinking. FDA monograph number 9 pretty much spelled out the premium hand roll cigars are not bad for you, like with everything else, in moderation.

I was under the assumption that most of the chop cigars were just pieces from the hand rolled ones. I'm not talking about the Swisher sweets or the Philly blunts or black and milds. But the polpetta or the papas fritas have the same ingredients as the umbagog and Liga privada... Tobacco, water, pectin, right?

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Userdname said:

Machine made gars do not contain "preservatives and chemicals". They are simply made by machine, in order to avoid the drudgery of hand making them. Most everything else you use in this world, from the band around your gar to the keyboard I'm typing on is made by machine for the same reason. We could make our keyboards by hand, but, what the heck, Industrial Revolution, and all that.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

@VegasFrank said:

I was under the assumption that most of the chop cigars were just pieces from the hand rolled ones. I'm not talking about the Swisher sweets or the Philly blunts or black and milds. But the polpetta or the papas fritas have the same ingredients as the umbagog and Liga privada... Tobacco, water, pectin, right?

I have no clue what you mean by "the polpetta or the papas fritas". Never seen 'em, never smoked 'em.

JC Newman makes Factory Throwouts from big house factory scraps.

FX Smith's Sons gets their flakes from Lancaster Leaf. They come in Gaylords ... those giant boxes attached to pallet bottoms. Their flakes are neither scrap nor refuse.

They also are not fermented in pilones, but have been air-cured in a baccy barn. If anything introduces unknown mojo, it would be the fermentation process, during which big house hand roll factories "petune" the leaves, which means they spritz them with secret sauce to impart the desired savory tang and to keep flavor consistent. Because the ingredients used to petune pilones are closely kept secrets, we have no idea what's in there. Thus, a machine made gar is more apt to be pure baccy-only than a hand rolled, because it is not sprayed with concoctions.

Pectin is not used as a commercial cigar glue because it imparts a citrus aftertaste. Instead, they use cellulose glue. The most popular brand is Bermacol. I use the same cellulose glue which kindergarten teachers use for arts and crafts. Wallpaper glue is the same stuff.

Oscuro wrappers are cured using some process which is a mystery to me. Other'n that, no chemicals in American style machine made gars period, and no scraps either.

It's easy to roll your own. That way, you get to pick the seed variety, the country and even the valley where grown, and even how far up the stem that leaf was picked. Each of these considerations are crucial to a result. That way you get to smoke what you like.

It's like when I threw baby backs on the kamado yesterday afternoon. I started the fire electrically cause I don't like petrochemical fire starter. I used chunk charcoal cause it tastes better than the glued together charcoal dust briquets. I threw in a chunk of branch trimmed off my cherry tree cause it smokes the meat nice. I watched over it, time to time. I smeared Rufus Teague at the last minute. It was worth it cause I got what we like the way we like it pure and clean. All it took was me setting in the garage watching college football on the garage toob, waiting on the kamado, while smoking a fine aged home rolled gar. I rolled the gar two years ago for the same reason I BBQd my own ribs yesterday. Yes, you can go to any franchise steak house and order baby backs. I do that. Not daily.

Now I'm headed to the garage with a gar while The One Who Must Be Obeyed stews up some chili for dinner. Yes, we could open a can....

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    edited October 2021

@webmost said:

@VegasFrank said:

I have no clue what you mean by "the polpetta or the papas fritas". Never seen 'em, never smoked 'em.

JC Newman makes Factory Throwouts from big house factory scraps.

FX Smith's Sons gets their flakes from Lancaster Leaf. They come in Gaylords ... those giant boxes attached to pallet bottoms. Their flakes are neither scrap nor refuse.

They also are not fermented in pilones, but have been air-cured in a baccy barn. If anything introduces unknown mojo, it would be the fermentation process, during which big house hand roll factories "petune" the leaves, which means they spritz them with secret sauce to impart the desired savory tang and to keep flavor consistent. Because the ingredients used to petune pilones are closely kept secrets, we have no idea what's in there. Thus, a machine made gar is more apt to be pure baccy-only than a hand rolled, because it is not sprayed with concoctions.

Pectin is not used as a commercial cigar glue because it imparts a citrus aftertaste. Instead, they use cellulose glue. The most popular brand is Bermacol. I use the same cellulose glue which kindergarten teachers use for arts and crafts. Wallpaper glue is the same stuff.

Oscuro wrappers are cured using some process which is a mystery to me. Other'n that, no chemicals in American style machine made gars period, and no scraps either.

It's easy to roll your own. That way, you get to pick the seed variety, the country and even the valley where grown, and even how far up the stem that leaf was picked. Each of these considerations are crucial to a result. That way you get to smoke what you like.

It's like when I threw baby backs on the kamado yesterday afternoon. I started the fire electrically cause I don't like petrochemical fire starter. I used chunk charcoal cause it tastes better than the glued together charcoal dust briquets. I threw in a chunk of branch trimmed off my cherry tree cause it smokes the meat nice. I watched over it, time to time. I smeared Rufus Teague at the last minute. It was worth it cause I got what we like the way we like it pure and clean. All it took was me setting in the garage watching college football on the garage toob, waiting on the kamado, while smoking a fine aged home rolled gar. I rolled the gar two years ago for the same reason I BBQd my own ribs yesterday. Yes, you can go to any franchise steak house and order baby backs. I do that. Not daily.

Now I'm headed to the garage with a gar while The One Who Must Be Obeyed stews up some chili for dinner. Yes, we could open a can....

OP never specified brand. He could be comparing White Owl, Blunts, Cheyenne, ETC. to Cohiba for all we know.

• Options

@webmost said:

@Userdname said:

Machine made gars do not contain "preservatives and chemicals". They are simply made by machine, in order to avoid the drudgery of hand making them. Most everything else you use in this world, from the band around your gar to the keyboard I'm typing on is made by machine for the same reason. We could make our keyboards by hand, but, what the heck, Industrial Revolution, and all that.

These sites state otherwise.

From Northwoods Humidor
    “ Machine made cigars may contain paper, chemicals, and preservatives not found in a hand rolled cigar. Hand rolled cigars are made up entirely of 100% tobacco leaves, which has usually been imported from another country. “

From Holts
    “ With machine made wrappers, the ingredients are not just tobacco. In fact, the wrapper of a machine made cigar often is not made exclusively of natural materials. The reason for that is that the wrapper must be strong enough – that is, not particularly delicate or supple –to withstand the manipulation of the machine. “

“ The short filler here can also contain paper, preservatives and various chemical additives to make the cigar burn better and create a consistent flavor. Some machine made cigars do use long filler, but most use what is called ‘HTL,’ or homogenized tobacco leaf. That’s the mixture of scrap tobacco and a cellulose adhesive used to hold the scraps together. “

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

A polpetta is a Dunbarton chop fill cigar @webmost. It has a regular wrapper.

Oh and I just use the word pectin as a generic word for all cigar glues. Understand how that would tweak your nips a little bit, you being a roller and all lol. Yes cellulose glue.

@Vision yeah I guess that was what that guy was thinking. Those homogenized tobacco paper wrappers probably have all kinds of crap in them. But traditional short fill cigars probably don't right?

Don't look ↑
  • Options

For all we know the original poster could be comparing Cheyenne to RyJ or even Curly Heads right? They do have menthol “cigars” which I assume people inhale. And I’m also assuming the menthol additive isn’t made from all natural mint leaves.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank I can’t say for sure about the Dunbarton but Papas Fritas is exactly what you said. It is short fill trimmings from Ligas

• Options

@Vision said:

@webmost said:

@Userdname said:

From Northwoods Humidor
    “ Machine made cigars may contain paper, chemicals, and preservatives not found in a hand rolled cigar. Hand rolled cigars are made up entirely of 100% tobacco leaves, which has usually been imported from another country. “

From Holts
    “ With machine made wrappers, the ingredients are not just tobacco. In fact, the wrapper of a machine made cigar often is not made exclusively of natural materials. The reason for that is that the wrapper must be strong enough – that is, not particularly delicate or supple –to withstand the manipulation of the machine. “

“ The short filler here can also contain paper, preservatives and various chemical additives to make the cigar burn better and create a consistent flavor. Some machine made cigars do use long filler, but most use what is called ‘HTL,’ or homogenized tobacco leaf. That’s the mixture of scrap tobacco and a cellulose adhesive used to hold the scraps together. “

Just not true.
    I've seen these machines in action. Not reporting what I read, but what I've seen.

• Options

Maybe they're talking about White Owls & such?

• Options

@webmost said:

@Vision said:

@webmost said:

@Userdname said:

From Northwoods Humidor

From Holts

Just not true.
    I've seen these machines in action. Not reporting what I read, but what I've seen.

No. It’s pretty true. You saw one machine, at one factory. Doesn’t mean everyone is doing it the exact way you saw it. Do you think Cheyenne “cigars” are all natural? Again. You are assuming the OP is talking about Curley Head Deluxe and/or “Cuban Sandwich” like cigars. Not crap cigarettes disguised as “Machine made cigars”

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP trolled y'all good.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )