Home General Discussion
Options

Humidity issue

Hey guys have a little issue i need help with. I Have two humidors a winedor with cedar shelves and a big cooler. Recently I bought a humidi meter which you use to test the actual humidity in a cigar. I started to check my cigars in the cooler and theyre all roughly 65 but my winedor is getting low readings like 40s 50 some are in 60s. I use 65 bovedas in both humis.. I have mulitple hygrometers in both and all read 65% so i know its not that. What do you guys think is going on in winedor can it be that i have to re season the shelves? If it needed re seasoning wouldn't all the humidity be low ? Any insight will help I am close to putting everything in cooler and re seasoning ? thanks

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

Even coolers and wine fridges can have dry spots, And I'm not saying that your humidity meter is broken or doesn't work, but that thing is very inexact. The way I understand it, it measures a voltage drop between the two prongs and uses that to calculate humidity. There are literally a hundred factors that can affect those things, basic inaccuracy aside.

One of the biggest things is the amount tobacco that touches the prongs. This can be affected by the tightness of the roll, whether or not you've probed that cigar before, whether you're using the same holes that you made last time, whether or not you are near the hole you made last time and your probes are not coming into complete contact with the tobacco, etc.

I would move your hygrometers around in your boxes a little and see where your dry spots might be. I would also put a boveda in every one of the boxes inside of your humidors, as well as having some of them outside of the cigar boxes as well.

Of course, if you are probing smokes that you just purchased, they could have come to you dry and they take a while to come up to the correct humidity level. This is especially true if the box happens to be really dry. I have found that the box affects the cigar more than the cigar Will affect the box. If it's a new box that you have, put the bovida inside it and open the lid or take it off if you can.

Finally, I would smoke one of those low humidity cigars and see if it actually underperforms. Does the wrapper or binder pop? Does it taste a little more harsh than normal? Does it burn faster? That's the real test. If it does, maybe you know that the reading you're getting from your cigar medic is fairly accurate. Then you can take steps to bring the humidity up in those dryer smokes.

Post edited by VegasFrank on
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since your winedor seems to be the only place you’re getting different readings I’m just curious if temperature may be affecting the hygrometer that you’re using because I know it can affect the humidi meter and the reading that the prongs produce. But if all else fails...coolers work. They always work.

• Options
    BlackRifle1776BlackRifle1776 Posts: 12 ✭✭

forgot to mention I dont plug winedor in i just use it like a cooler. and thanks for your guys inputs

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:

But if all else fails...coolers work. They always work.