Home General Discussion

Acclimating Cigars to Fall/Winter

Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have advice or knowledge of conditioning cigars to winter weather for a better smoking experience? Not sure if there’s much that I can do. This is for cigars in my desktop humidor rotation that I typically dry box before enjoying.

Last year I had some problems with swelling during winter. I want to limit the issues that could cause me to pitch too many cigars. The weather change isn’t drastic in my area. I’ll mostly be smoking in 50°-65° with humidity close to the same.

Is there anything I can do to limit the “shock” a cigar experiences if I anticipate the weather to be colder, more humid, etc? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get just the opposite here. When it gets winter...that would be when it’s below 32 for long periods of time...the humidity here drops drastically. Anything I have in wooden humidors I have to keep close eye on. Usually I’ll just move everything to a cooler and typically don’t have any problems.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1 on leaving them out of the humidor for a while. You could probably leave them out until the next day to be smoked.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Little knitted sweaters and condoms, that it? What else

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be a man and smoke broadleaf in the winter. Camaroon and Connecticut wrappers are fragile.

Don't look ↑
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Drybox them, leave them out a while where your going to smoke them before you light up would be the first thing I thought of.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Time to smoke a pipe.

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our weather is similar since I only live about 40 miles away from you. I don't do anything special. 65% bovedas year round and all is right. I also don't waste humidity on boxes or wood, only use cedar sheets in my large tupperadors. Haven't had any problems with this set up and it's been holding steady for years and years so I guess my answer is 65% bovedas.

I go as low as 62, but 65% is good.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was reminded today as I walked in the cool moist weather that Umbagog's hold up really well in that environment. Not acclimating what you have, but just buying a durable cigar to start with. Leave the connecticuts and cameroons to a more controlled atmosphere.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain