Home General Discussion

Calling it done......

ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well almost done....Still needs a tune up and the front struts need a couple more pounds of nitrogen to raise it up a couple of inches.
Should of been done a couple months ago, but figuring out the brake system was a royal pain....But it stops now.
One month short of a year since I started the upgrades. My longest build yet....If everything works the way it's supposed to, I'm done building any more big upgrades....I'm to old for this.
Just figured it out....23 years I've had/working/driving on this truck.
The only thing left is to take it out and see if the front suspension actually works the way I want it to and see what I can break.

Can't fit much else under the hood.....

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking the same thing. Congrats @ForMud on nearing completion on you build.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Runs on propane?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ForMud said:
    The only thing left is to see what I can break.

FIFY :D

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

@ForMud - Julian did you utilize the original frame rails on the truck and relocate / custom fabricate suspension mounts or is the frame custom front to back?
    Every time I see the fab work on this ride I’m blown away!!
    Sure wish I had picked up welding skills early on in my career.

Post edited by NorCalR1 on

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ready for Uwharrie. Looks great

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NorCalR1 said:
    @ForMud - Julian did you utilize the original frame rails on the truck and relocate / custom fabricate suspension mounts or is the frame custom front to back?
    Every time I see the fab work on this ride I’m blown away!!
    Sure wish I had picked up welding skills early on in my career.

I only have about four feet of the original frame (The only thing from the original truck left on it) Both the front and the rear suspension links mounts to it. It's been boxed in places and the upper cage, side rock sliders and skid plate are solid welded to it. The transfer cases are hung from the cage work above....In fact they have to pulled out from the top to be removed.
    From the firewall forward and from behind the seats, the frame is all tube.
    I hindsight, I should have just made the whole frame out of tube.....But doing this way helped me do upgrades in stages as time and money permitted.
    Taught myself to weld over the years.....And it shows.
    I did struggle with the math when it came to figuring out the suspension geometry and the brake system....Should have paid more attention in school.

edited October 2021

@VegasFrank said:
    Man, I thought this was going to be a flame out post, the likes we hadn't seen since Michael Walker! Glad it isn't brother, lol. Nice toy! Looks freaking awesome!

Sorry.....Can't get rid of me that easy.

@peter4jc said:
    Runs on propane?

Yes it does....Poor mans fuel injection.
    The advantages is it can run at any angle even upside down (I know for a fact) No moving parts or electric power needed to run.
    I can run about five to eight hours per tank (8-1/2 gals) depending on how I drive.
    The only disadvantage is I don't know when how much fuel is left in the tank until it shuts off, hence needing to run two tanks.

@deadman said:
    Ready for Uwharrie. Looks great

Been a long time since I've been down there. Not much down there would be much of a challenge anymore.....Maybe that one rock on Daniel trail would be fun.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice project Julian

A little dirt never hurt
  • Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does colder weather affect the propane system much?

• JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has to get super cold before propane won't vaporize

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

We get a “winter mix” once the temperature drops below a certain degree. The Zambonies don’t preform as well in the spring on those tanks. Marty @jlmarta told me it takes -50 to freeze propane and he was on a job site where people with flame throwers were thawing storage tanks. I’m sure he can tell it better.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Marty!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    Maybe that explains why it's hard to fart when my house dips below 60*.

You fart propane???? You a strange dude, y’all…. 🤣🤣

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

Is it a gel fart Peter?

Edit: asking for a friend.

A little dirt never hurt