Home General Discussion
Options

Finally buying my first traditional humidor.

BullSquatchBullSquatch Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the time has come. After smoking cigars for 13 years, I have now reached the peak of Mt. Humidor. I am overwhelmed at the amount of choices out there. Any recommendations. Looking to spend $400-$500. Looking for 200+ capacity. Any advice is greatly appreciated in selection. Will sit on home office desk.

"Some people meditate, I smoke cigars." - Ron Perlman
"...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon
Two Time Cigar Lottery Winner

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you thought about getting a cooler or a weathertight crate? Not very sexy, but trouble free storage.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t do it, you will regret it.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

@Yakster said:
    Have you thought about getting a cooler or a weathertight crate? Not very sexy, but trouble free storage.

i have. and honestly, i have been thinking about this for a long time. coolers and cases just aren't a sexy item like a traditional humidor.

"...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon

• Options

@peter4jc said:
    Buy the prettiest one you can find, one you really like, and place it on your desk.

Put a layer or two of stick on the top tray so they're visible through the glass top.

Make sure those sticks have pretty bands, but don't cost more than a few bucks so you can let them dry out; they're not there for smoking, they're just there to look pretty.

Take a stick or two out of your wineador and put them in the show-piece humidor a short while before you want to smoke.

When it's time to get lit, open that pretty humidor and pull out the sticks like a boss, feel like a king.

LOL

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boveda makes acrylic humidors that look pretty nice. As long as they have a good seal they should be just as stable as a tupperdor, but much prettier. Looks like they go for about $200.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

@Usaf06 said:
    Winedor. Temp control and looks good

This! you will very much regret the humidor purchase. They do require upkeep.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

Don't listen to these old bastards Travis. Traditional wooden humidors look great, smell fantastic when you open them, and are a lot of fun. Since you already have a bunch of storage, you won't be compelled to rush through the seasoning process.

If I were you I would actually look on eBay craigslist or offer up. Get you something nice and used and already broken in. Go meet a guy and check it out for yourself. If it doesn't smell like pot or mold, buy it.

I have one of those plain Jane humidors that I got from the shop. Great seal, super boring, but nice enough on the desk. I think it was 70 bucks.

I got this chest humidor from OfferUp. Even Patrick with his 6000 coolers came over to my house and thought it was a really sweet box. It has LED lighting and came with a cigar Oasis 3.0. hundred bucks.

I also found a pretty interesting 300 count baby coffin humidor that my wife doesn't let me keep in the house because it creeps her out, but it's old and keeps good humidity. 30 bucks on craigslist.

I also have an audew thermal electric humidor that says it's a 300 count. It's a $400 unit I got for a hundred bucks on offer up. It's nice for a bookshelf but might be too big for a desk. Then again maybe not.

With a used humidor, the worst that's going to happen is that you're going to spend 50 bucks and it's not going to hold moisture very well. It's not the end of the world.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank I am definitely in no rush to utilize it. I will take my time with it. I've got tons of tupper-dors.

• Options

Frank does speak the truth that did happen. Find an artist to paint a cooler to look like an expensive humidor. Use bondo to make it smooth and seamless first. Cost about the same or less without any humidor issues.

MOW badge received.
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or just load it up with stickers.

Or get a nice humidor and put it inside a cooler, or get a good cooler and put it inside a humidor. I always thought it would be cool to have one of those big American cedar hope chests and to turn it into a large completely airtight cooler.

But I'm stupid that way. I also thought it would be cool to transform an old retro stereo or console TV into a humidor.

Seriously though, if you spend 60 bucks on craigslist for something secondhand, the worst case you have is a $60 lighter and cutter box.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Well damn Rusty. Going all deep and ****.

MOW badge received.