Home General Discussion

Season humidity is 95

Should I be concern that the humidity level in my humidor is 95% while seasoning?

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a bit high, what's the temperature?

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • YattaYatta Posts: 6
    edited November 2021

The temp is 73 @Yakster

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did the wipe down method, I'm guessing. Go with the Boveda method.. after you open it up and allow it to air out. What part of the country you in?

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
    edited November 2021

Yeah, Bovedas would be really accurate at that temp, so I'm guessing that Steve's right and you wiped down the wood. I'd air it out and hopefully the wood doesn't warp and I recommend using Boveda seasoning packs.

If the humidor does warp you could replace it with a cooler and not worry.

No I didnt wipe it down. I set a bowl bowl of water in it with a new sponge and closed it up for 14 days. I'm three days in and its reading 73 temp and 95 humidity. So I'm wondering if I need to go 14 days or worry about what the high humidity will do to my humidor while seasoning

I'd air it out and then restart seasoning with Boveda seasoning packs. You want it to take two weeks so it slowly comes up to moisture without warping.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patience my dear. It is nonsense to check your humidity in a 14-day seasoning process after day three. The RH will spike, and then the wood will absorb a bunch of water and it will drop. Then the RH will spike again. Then drop again. Then spike again. Then even out.

After 14 days, you leave it empty for a day and see where it's sitting. I'm guessing it'll be sitting in the 60s. Then you're going to open it up and load it up with sticks, and then you're going to close it and worry that it's 59. You just had it opened. Of course it's 59.

Point is that you have to play the long game. No shortcuts, nothing less than 14 days.

The caveats to the above are if you live in the tropical rainforest, or if you have an analog hygrometer. Either one of those and start over.

Don't look ↑

Ok, so my question is how many days of the humidity sitting in the 90's could be bad for the wood?

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take the water out. The wood will keep absorbing water to the point that it’s saturated and that excess moisture will end up in your cigars once you load it. Go with what you have now, air it a little and put your preferred rh boveda packs. Then take the long route to make sure your rh is stabilized. You may need to remove and replace packs. And if you have an analog hygrometer ditch it.

Or just buy a cooler.

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

P.s.
    Grumblegrumblegrumblegrumble.

Thanks all for the feedback. Its helpful

@Yatta said:
    Ok, so my question is how many days of the humidity sitting in the 90's could be bad for the wood?

I had a little 40 count desktop unit or then I bought from a shop. I put an open container of water in it with a sponge. Opened it after a week and the relative humidity was 99%.

I had an analog hygrometer. I put a digital one in there and it was reading 72.

Yada yada yada the unit is fine.

Get a digital hygrometer. There's no way to accurately calibrate an analog one. Not even with the salt test. It's a nice decoration but that's about it.

Don't look ↑

@peter4jc said:
    Look at all these saps, trying to be nice and make up for riding Phil's asss. ;-)

Are you certain your hygrometer is accurate?

For the record I was nice to both.

Don't look ↑
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

News flash!!! Frank Henkel Abducted By Aliens!

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    News flash!!! Frank Henkel Abducted By Aliens!

Or

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?

@VegasFrank I'm using a celebrated digital hydrometer. You were right. Its showing 91 now. I can see through glass door.