Home Non Cigar Related

health

silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

a thread to park studies related to good health. Here's one related to a food additive, usually labeled 'emulsifier':

Ubiquitous food additive alters human microbiota and intestinal environment

New clinical research indicates that a widely used food additive, carboxymethylcellulose, alters the intestinal environment of healthy persons, perturbing levels of beneficial bacteria and nutrients.
" Carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) is a synthetic member of a widely used class of food additives, termed emulsifiers, which are added to many processed foods to enhance texture and promote shelf life."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/11/211130130223.htm

Comments

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

• JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2nd time I read it made it sink in :|

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

I'm always skeptical of studies like this for one major reason: The dose makes the poison.

Digging in to the study behind the article, looking at the Methods section:

"To examine this notion in humans, we performed a double-blind controlled feeding study of the ubiquitous synthetic emulsifier carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) in which healthy adults consumed only emulsifier-free diets (n=9) or an identical diet enriched with 15 grams per day of CMC (n=7) for 11 days."

The amount of CMC used in Ice Cream (one of many products CMC can commonly be found in - although it's also important to note that natural emulsifiers like Lecithin are also very commonly used) is generally around 0.5% by weight.

If we calculate this out, someone would have to eat 3000 grams (pleas check my math) or 6.6 pounds of ice cream each day to reach that 15 grams (assuming the ice cream you choose contains CMC and the % by weight is 0.5%).

Always important to dig in a little deeper to see what these studies are actually studying.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cbuck said:
    Oh crap! 6.6 lbs a day? I come close to that some days! But mine doesn’t have cmc in it, so I’m good! All my stabilizer and/or emulsifiers are natural, along with my flavorings.

I volunteer for that study.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better living through chemistry.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for getting this thread started, @Amos_Umwhat, I think it will be a fun and potentially educational one. My wife and I try to stay away from foods that aren't natural. That being said, we do also enjoy the occasional fast-food or frozen pizza. Each summer I grow a small garden of veggies, I have been considering upping the size of this garden and trying to become more self-sustaining.

All of this lockdown stuff put into perspective just how much we tend to suckle at the teats of corporations and governments. Which leaves a bad taste in my mouth...probably from too much soy or something...

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@d_blades said:
    Better living through chemistry.

I’m trying bro…. I’m trying

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:
    Thanks for getting this thread started, @silvermouse , I think it will be a fun and potentially educational one. My wife and I try to stay away from foods that aren't natural. That being said, we do also enjoy the occasional fast-food or frozen pizza. Each summer I grow a small garden of veggies, I have been considering upping the size of this garden and trying to become more self-sustaining.

All of this lockdown stuff put into perspective just how much we tend to suckle at the teats of corporations and governments. Which leaves a bad taste in my mouth...probably from too much soy or something...

FIFY

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, @silvermouse and @Amos_Umwhat, I guess all you old codgers just start looking alike after a while. :p

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.sciencealert.com/giant-study-finds-****-is-linked-to-almost-70-lower-risk-of-alzheimer-s

I tried to access the original study but it is behind a paywall.

Joy of Cooking has been my primary source of cooking information forever.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

Eating shlt lowers risk of Alzheimer's? I think I'll take the memory loss.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

edited December 2021

now the censor-bot is modifying links???? it was 'v i a g r a', not shlt. There, that might change your mind Shawn.

here's an abstract of the paywalled study:

Endophenotype-based in silico network medicine discovery combined with insurance record data mining identifies sildenafil as a candidate drug for Alzheimer’s disease
    Jiansong Fang, Pengyue Zhang, Yadi Zhou, Chien-Wei Chiang, Juan Tan, Yuan Hou, Shaun Stauffer, Lang Li, Andrew A. Pieper, Jeffrey Cummings & Feixiong Cheng
    Nature Aging (2021)Cite this article

143 Altmetric

Metricsdetails

Abstract
    We developed an endophenotype disease module-based methodology for Alzheimer’s disease (AD) drug repurposing and identified sildenafil as a potential disease risk modifier. Based on retrospective case–control pharmacoepidemiologic analyses of insurance claims data for 7.23 million individuals, we found that sildenafil usage was significantly associated with a 69% reduced risk of AD (hazard ratio 0.31, 95% confidence interval 0.25–0.39, P < 1.0 × 10–8). Propensity score-stratified analyses confirmed that sildenafil is significantly associated with a decreased risk of AD across all four drug cohorts tested (diltiazem, glimepiride, losartan and metformin) after adjusting for age, sex, race and disease comorbidities. We also found that sildenafil increases neurite growth and decreases phospho-tau expression in neuron models derived from induced pluripotent stem cells from patients with AD, supporting mechanistically its potential beneficial effect in AD. The association between sildenafil use and decreased incidence of AD does not establish causality, which will require a randomized controlled trial.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

Now I have a use for all that Via-gra in the medicine cabinet.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

@ShawnOL said:
    Now I have a use for all that Via-gra in the medicine cabinet.

Now?

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

You forgot what it was used for?

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    You forgot what it was used for?

I’ve got a buddy who uses it in 1/2 doses for a pre workout before the gym.

@silvermouse said:
    now the censor-bot is modifying links???? it was 'v i a g r a', not shlt. There, that might change your mind Shawn.

Didn't you know? Male heterosexuality is actively frowned upon by the "woke".

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@silvermouse said:

Didn't you know? Male heterosexuality is actively frowned upon by the "woke".

Toxic

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

https://europepmc.org/backend/ptpmcrender.fcgi?accid=PMC5984069&blobtype=pdf

Dietary trehalose enhances virulence of epidemic Clostridium
    difficile

Discussion
    Containing an α,α-1,1-glucoside bond between two α-glucose units, trehalose is a nonreducing and extremely stable sugar, resistant to both high temperatures and acid hydrolysis.
    Although considered an ideal sugar for use in the food industry, the use of trehalose in the
    US and Europe was limited prior to 2000 due to high cost of production (~$700 Kg−1). The
    innovation of a novel enzymatic method for low cost production from starch made it
    commercially viable as a food supplement (~$3 Kg−1).18 Granted GRAS (Generally
    Recognized As Safe) status by the FDA in 2000 and approved for use in food in Europe in
    2001, reported expected usage ranges from concentrations of 2%-11.25% for foods
    including pasta, ground beef, and ice cream. The widespread adoption and use of trehalose
    in the diet coincides with the emergence of both RT027 and RT078 outbreaks (Fig. 6).
    Several lines of evidence support that dietary trehalose has participated in the spread of
    epidemic C. difficile ribotypes. First, the ability of RT027 and RT078 strains to metabolize
    trehalose was present prior to epidemic outbreaks. The earliest retrospectively recorded
    RT027 isolate was the non-epidemic strain CD196, isolated in 1985 in a Paris hospital.19
    Three years later in 1988, another non-epidemic strain RT027 (BI1) was isolated in
    Minneapolis, Minnesota. Both isolates, in addition to every RT027 strain sequenced to date,
    contain the L172I substitution in TreR. RT078 strains were also present in humans prior to
    2001, but epidemic outbreaks were not reported until 2003.4
    Second, RT027 and RT078
    lineages are phylogenetically distant clades of C. difficile, yet have convergently evolved
    distinct mechanisms to metabolize low levels of trehalose. Third, increased disease severity
    of a RT027 strain that can metabolize trehalose in our CDI mouse model is consistent with
    increased virulence of RT027 and RT078 ribotypes observed in patients. Fourth, the ability
    to metabolize trehalose at lower concentrations confers a competitive growth advantage in
    the presence of a complex intestinal community. Finally, levels of trehalose in ileostomy
    Collins et al. Page 5
    Nature. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2018 July 03.
    Author Manuscript Author Manuscript Author Manuscript Author Manuscript
    fluid from patients eating a normal diet are sufficiently high to be detected by RT027 strains.
    Based on these observations, we propose the widespread adoption and use of the
    disaccharide trehalose in the human diet has played a significant role in the emergence of

these epidemic and hypervirulent strains.20

https://healthjade.com/trehalose/

Contents [hide]

What is trehalose
    Is trehalose a reducing sugar?
    What is trehalose used for?
    Trehalose sources
    Chemical synthesis of trehalose
    Trehalose in food
    Trehalose side effects

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

In English?

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )