Home General Discussion
Options

Looking for recommendations

I'm new to the cigar world. My buddy gave me a really nice cigar dark wrapper with heavy notes of chocolate. that being said I didn't think about saving the ring and he doesn't remember the brand. I'm looking to pick up a few cigars that have similar qualities. I know I like "medium-full" cigars as I picked up a cigars since then, a "mellow," "medium," and a "full" cigar. "Mellow" was the worst of the 2 I've tried It had a very light flavor and ended up tasting more ash than tobacco flavors, "full" untried yet but smells amazing and then "medium" was the best of the 2 I've had so far and then the first cigar my buddy gave me is my favorite full + chocolate. Oliva CT reserve ("mellow"), Fathers MF the Judge ("full"), and Macanudo Maduro("medium"). Discriptions "mellow," "medium," and "full" are descriptions from CigarInternational.

Things that may matter: I go for an islay scotch. Peatier the better. I drink my coffee black with a few shots of expresso. I prefer my milk chocolate over dark but I still eat both.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I think of chocolate, the first thought that comes to mind is the JdN Cuatro Cinco.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Join the cigar of the month club, pay attention to what you like, look for cigars that match those descriptions. What wrapper, country of origin etc.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Camacho triple madoro.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look for cigars with a Mexican San Andres Maduro wrapper, they may be called just San Andres or Mexican, but they're thick wrappers well suited for longer Maduro fermentation that give good chocolate notes.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give an Oliva Serie V Melanio a try.

• Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

Padron.

• Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

Padron 3000 or 1964 line

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mx2

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Web search “AJ Fernandez cigars” you’ll be just fine.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the OP remains at one post. Looks like our time is being wasted, again.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    And the OP remains at one post. Looks like our time is being wasted, again.

Yeah. I'm reluctant to reply to a newbie who needs help and insight from us. Since it's literally free advice, they can and sometimes do ghost us with no obligation to show gratitude whatsoever and that feels like a waste of my time. Also our resident troll could be wasting my time. That's how that particular game is played isn't it? You reply to the troll, you lose. Either way, why bother?

Question for the new members who've stuck around: Did you come here for the free advice and stick around because,....... why? How did you find the forum and why stick around with this gang of cigar lovers? Genuinely interested in rookie impressions of the forum welcome you received if you've been here less than, or not much longer than a year.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found it by searching cigar forum and thought layout was user-friendly. I stuck around because I like most of you. I like our vherf. I like honest opinions and I enjoy the enabling that goes on.

• Options

I feel like @Houjous just posted yesterday... oh, right they did.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc will have something wonderful to say to me I can just feel it.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    I feel like @Houjous just posted yesterday... oh, right they did.

I haven't given up on the possibility that @Houjous will check back in. But I just don't feel like any input from me is necessary or warranted. There were some great answers given initially.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jrflickster said:
    I like honest opinions and I enjoy the enabling that goes on.

I believe that’s a common thread. Honesty and having thick skin.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found the forum from googling various cigar questions I had, and the forum being one of the results for a lot of them. Then I just started using the search function of the forum instead of google. Then I started lurking for a while. Then I introduced myself.

• Options

Peter jumped me in.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found the forum, ask a question, got some good and some smart-ass answers, decided to stick around.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just happened upon it. Took the smartass comments as a challenge. Fired back a little and it worked out lol

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't look ↑