Home General Discussion
Options

Looking for recommendations

I started smoking cigars within the last year and one of the cigars I love is the Macanudo Inspirado Black. I've also discovered that I prefer cigarillos to bigger cigars, even over robusto, but sadly they don't seem to sell Black cigarillos.

Is there any similar cigars to the Black that do sell cigarillos. I'm not too worried about price here, just looking to enjoy my time the most.

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is it about the cigarillo that you prefer?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    RonbogRonbog Posts: 3

@peter4jc said:

If I had to put it to words, I would say that I like that they're shorter smokes and I feel like they don't get too hot like some bigger cigars. Maybe it's because I'm just not patient enough, but I prefer shorter smokes.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate "cigarillos", too much like cigarettes.

With that said, I believe Macanudo makes some sort of "cigarillo", I had one, once. There are others from otherwise reputable manufacturers, just look.

If you're simply too impatient to finish a cigar, try some of the shorter ones, Hemingway Short Story for example. I think Punch makes some kind of small perfecto, there's also the Davidoff 3x3.

Another option might be to take up pipe smoking. When your patience runs out, just let it go out and relight later.

It really sounds more like you're looking for a cigarette that masquerades as a cigar, in which case the only advice I can give with a clear conscience is: quit.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

CAO Brazilia and Cohiba Black are good options.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@Ronbog said:

@peter4jc said:

If I had to put it to words, I would say that I like that they're shorter smokes and I feel like they don't get too hot like some bigger cigars. Maybe it's because I'm just not patient enough, but I prefer shorter smokes.

Something's not right here... as a rule, smaller ring gauge = hotter smoke and larger ring gauge = cooler smoke.

If you don't have the time to devote to a robusto or corona, then probably cigar-smoking isn't for you. But like @Amos_Umwhat said, pipes are great for the time-crunched among us.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronbog said:

@peter4jc said:

Black and Mild, White Owl, Backwoods….. all amazing budget friendly smokes for those who don’t want to actually smoke cigars.

• Options
    RonbogRonbog Posts: 3

Guys, I hate to sound like a jerk, but I asked for recommendations for cigars, hoping the more experienced among you could lead me to what I'm looking for. If you're going to gatekeep because of the type of cigar that I prefer, then I'd prefer you take your comments elsewhere.

Thank you @ShawnOL for your suggestion.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronbog said:
    Guys, I hate to sound like a jerk, but I asked for recommendations for cigars, hoping the more experienced among you could lead me to what I'm looking for. If you're going to gatekeep because of the type of cigar that I prefer, then I'd prefer you take your comments elsewhere.

Thank you @ShawnOL for your suggestion.

Not trying to be jerks but you need to understand that most of us have spent $1000s to 10s of thousands on cigars trying to figure out exactly what tickles our fancy. You asked about Cigarillos that are usually very inexpensive…. Even the Davidoffs….. grab a bunch of Cigar.com cigarbid.com or cigars international and see what you like.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

The pipe was a legit suggestion. Pipe tobacco is short filler and smoking that pipe is a 20 to 30 minute experience much of the time, from what I understand. If you don't want to smoke a pipe, you can just say that, but nobody is gatekeeping you.

The reason that pipe was a good suggestion is that cigarillos are mostly short fill machine made versions of cigars, constructed of all the pieces left on the rolling table after the real cigars are made. The contention that they actually burn hotter and regular cigars it's scientifically true, even if that does not fit your particular experience.

Your particular experience may be different because even though you're smoking them as fast as you would smoke a cigar, the short format probably doesn't give you time enough to build up the undesirable hot smoke that you build when you overdraw on a robusto. In other words, by the time you get hot smoke out of a cigarillo, you are already at the nub. The fact remains, though, that short filler smokes have more air passages inside of them, which allows for more combustion, which means a hotter burn.

There are some exceptions to the cigarillo rule above. Padron makes a long fill hand-rolled version. I think that Davidoff does also.

However with all of that said, the advice from others that you should consider slowing down your draw rate, while not solicited, remains prudent. If you consider that cigarillos are made up of all of the pieces didn't make it into a regular cigar, (i.e.-"leftovers"), then logic dictates that the parts which were intentionally left in the cigar must be equal at worst, and likely better.

This is where the manifestation of the pipe suggestion lies and becomes not only relevant, but genius. It is also where Peter's white owl backwoods Black & mild suggestion also becomes relevant. Black and milds, Philly blunts, and other gas station cigars are comprised of the very chop that you adore in a cigarillo. Peter's suggestion, while snarky on the surface because he has covid, is also a good one because you can buy these machine-made beauties for a buck or less per unit.

Once again, nobody is Gatekeeping you here brother. They offered out of the box suggestions to a person who admittedly does not like the typical format of the typical cigar.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

^^^perfect!

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hemingway Short Story? Davidoff 3x3? Dude, those are legit as it gets. Cigar legit. It's exactly what you asked for, and, I thought helpful advice. Same with the pipe, as @VegasFrank so politely and eloquently told you.

Don't know what else to say.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy some Lanceros and cut them in half is your best bet. Some great cigars come in Lancero

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

1/2 Corona
    Short Robusto

Google search and see what you find. Everyone on this forum has different preferences in size / type of cigar based on what’s right for them. There is no one size fits all and what my palate might like may or may not appeal to you. It’s trial and error for the first year or two when jumping into the hobby.
    Personally when I’m short on time a pack a bowl of pipe tobacco.
    You may want to try the Ezra Zion
    Tantrum it’s another one of my go to short on time selections. The other thing you can do is carve out more time to enjoy a larger cigar once a week.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

and you might search for these:

Man O' War Dark Horse S.E. Cigarillo

• Options

Lol they have macanudo inspirado cigarillos.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Check that, they have Macanudo Inspirado Black cigarillos! Jesus H Christ!

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a follow up if your cigars are getting too hot you are probably smoking too quickly. Sounds to me like you should take more time to enjoy a stick. It will be a more enjoyable experience. Maybe go to a lounge to smoke so that you will find an atmosphere that will allow you take a bit more time.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    and you might search for these:

Man O' War Dark Horse S.E. Cigarillo

Didn't know these were a thing.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.