Home Cigar 101
Options

Foolproof Humidor (Lo-no Maintenance)

flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

Guys!!
Forever has been the topic of Humidors, WTF is wrong with my Box??

I have to share an easy way to take care of your supply, and you wont believe how simple it can be.
Lets make a Cooler-Dor
Parts Needed:
Cooler (Walmart has these $49) get one that guarantees Ice for 5 days @95 degrees
Wooden Cigar Boxes (real wood not pressboard)
Kitty Litter (Beads not Speedy Dry type)
Distilled Water

Steps To Do
1. Buy your parts - Roughly $60
2. Drill Holes in the top of your Cigar boxes (enough to cover cooler bottom)
3. Fill your boxes with Kitty Litter Beads
4. Spritz the Kitty Litter with Distilled water
5. Load your Cooler with Cigars (No flavored Cigars Your smokes will taste like Potpouri)
6. close the lid and take a deep breath.

Thats it peeps, mine has been at 59% for the last 7 years no worries, no stress, enjoy!!!

Comments

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to fill you Britta.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

I was just telling my wife today that I am going to be making a coolerdor at some point. They work a lot better from what I hear, especially with Boveda. Thanks for sharing your setup with us, @flowbee.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

@Yakster said:
    My agree but I use Bovedas instead.

Bovedas help alot, just cost a little more to get setup!!!

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:
    I was just telling my wife today that I am going to be making a coolerdor at some point. They work a lot better from what I hear, especially with Boveda. Thanks for sharing your setup with us, @flowbee.

All Good!! You will be amazed at how simple it is with no worries!!

• Options

@Patrickbrick said:
    Use painters tape on both sides before drilling next time and your holes will be clean. This tip has been brought to you by me! The resident know it all ****. Couldn’t help myself, where is Walker when you need him.

Noted!!
    Thanks Patrickbrick, Im no good at Carpentry!

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to be “that” guy. But I might choose cheap plastic food containers and do the same. Most cigar boxes are either veneer or not Spanish Cedar at all. The wood could harbor mold as plastic will not. I did litter years ago. I used nylon. I cut the legs up, filled, and tied up both ends. Worked amazingly…. But….. but… then…… Boveda. No more litter.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the effort, I'm going to say that those who ask the humidor questions will pay no attention whatsoever. People love to create problems for themselves.

Well, some people, 77 quart cooler in operation here.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Thanks for the effort, I'm going to say that those who ask the humidor questions will pay no attention whatsoever. People love to create problems for themselves.

Well, some people, 77 quart cooler in operation here.

No doubt about that!! But if I can reach a newb or 2 I will be happy I helped them to not have a stack of used Humidors collecting dust.

• Options

@Vision said:
    Not to be “that” guy. But I might choose cheap plastic food containers and do the same. Most cigar boxes are either veneer or not Spanish Cedar at all. The wood could harbor mold as plastic will not. I did litter years ago. I used nylon. I cut the legs up, filled, and tied up both ends. Worked amazingly…. But….. but… then…… Boveda. No more litter.

All good!! At least this thread will give some great ideas basic and advanced!! Love the input, thanks Vision

• Options

I like this guy!

• Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Vision use plastic containers....Been using Kitty Litter for about 3 years, can't beat the price. I use about 12 lbs, cost me about $15.....Around $650 if I had used Boveda's

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here w/ the KL... started using that years ago because of how cheap it is compared to anything else that's reliable. The only trick is to adjust the (very infrequent) spritzing to get the RH desired.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@peter4jc said:
    Same here w/ the KL... started using that years ago because of how cheap it is compared to anything else that's reliable. The only trick is to adjust the (very infrequent) spritzing to get the RH desired.

Exactly!! thats the trick, find your desired humidity and spritz till your happy with it!

• Options

@ForMud said:
    I agree with @Vision use plastic containers....Been using Kitty Litter for about 3 years, can't beat the price. I use about 12 lbs, cost me about $15.....Around $650 if I had used Boveda's

100% cant go wrong with kitty Litter Beads

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since this thread is for advice on using kitty litter we need to talk about specifics.
    You gotta use the fancy stuff. The regular old clay litter will not do.
    1. Only use 100% silica ingredients
    2. Be sure it's unscented. (Some say unscented but they are lying. Be sure before you add cigars)
    https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/660564/good-kitty-litter-list-and-bad-kitty-litter-list-formerly-known-as-the-good-cat-litter-list-and/p1

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:
    I like this guy!

You're still "that guy" in case of any doubt. ❤

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options

@Stubble said:

@Vision said:
    I like this guy!

You're still "that guy" in case of any doubt. ❤

“I appreciate that Clark“ (Cousin Eddie)