Home General Discussion
Options

Temperature and humidity

Can cigars be stored safely at 78 degrees (Fahrenheit) and 60% humidity? In other words, will lowering the humidity compensate for a higher temperature? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

Maybe for short periods of time, like less than 2 weeks. Constant storage is 78° may eventually lead the bugs and increase the likelihood of mold.

I've read a lot of different numbers about when beetle eggs hatch. I've read things like above 70 and 70, above 75 and 75, and many other combinations. Most of the sources that I believe the most say anything above 75° with a combination of 70% humidity or higher is a "prime" condition for hatching the little critters.

That doesn't mean that they can't hatch in non-prime conditions, but it does reduce the risk.

If I'm thinking about this logically, I would say that your biggest risk would be new cigars you introduced to your humidor. If they were stored at 70% or higher like many are, then you bring them home until 78° temperatures, then the cigar temperature will raise faster than the humidity will release from the inside of the roll. That's where you get your 75 75
    Or some other weird combination that bug eggs like

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

IF yours have bug eggs in them, high temperature is not good. If they don't, it won't hurt them, but bring your humidity up to about 65%. Unless you're a science geek or a mathmajician, don't try to compensate for one or the other.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keeping the humidity down will also help prevent mold and bacteria growth.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )