Home Pipes
Options

Trying my hand

Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it best to start a separate thread for this. I’ve started on my second piece of briar. After finding the crack in the first one I did as Edward suggested and mixed briar dust and epoxy to fill the crack. I imagine the mixture of the two is much more durable than concrete. I’ll use it for practice and honing skills. Nevertheless, I started another one. I have my stem fitted and I have it cut down to almost sanding point. Still arguing with myself about how steep of an angle I am going to put on the bottom. Big thing....no cracks! It is smokeable at this point but there’s still a lot of work to do. If anyone has done this before and has suggestions or advice...I’m all ears.

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you know ahead of time what shape you are aiming for, or are you just going to start in on it and see what it turns out to be when it is done (that's more my style, lol)? Anyway, good luck, can't wait to see how it turns out. Oh, and I have read that the transition between the stem and the bowl is the most difficult part of pipe shaping, fwiw.

• Options

I read that as well. I think I am going to keep it rather simple for this one and probably go for a poker; however, I tend to be the same way and just start in on things lol.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm also excited to see what you end up with rusty thread bookmarked

• Options

Starting to get some nice grain to show with finer sanding. Getting down to 300 grit to see what pops out.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once you hit it w/ some stain or other finish, that grain will really pop. Nice job, Rusty.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

Thanks Peter. I wiped it down with some alcohol and it’s showing quite a bit.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if that's flame grain, but you've got some birdseye going on in front.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

How much does she weigh?

• Options

She’s a little heavy at 2.4oz but she’s a sitter not a clincher lol

• Options

68 grams, that's not bad.

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work. Sometimes that last girl in the bar is the best performer

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rsherman24 said:
    Nice work. Sometimes that last girl in the bar is the best performer

It's all the experience that does it.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to try this one of these days. I’ve eyeballed a few starter kits. I wish I had time to do some mentoring with a local pipe maker. Nice work. Do you have another one planned?

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:

@jsnake said:
    I want to try this one of these days. I’ve eyeballed a few starter kits. I wish I had time to do some mentoring with a local pipe maker. Nice work. Do you have another one planned?

I’ve been working on another one made of morta…

Update on this Rusty?

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rusty these are nice, what Steve said, any updates.

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options

@Stubble said:

@Rdp77 said:

@jsnake said:

Update on this Rusty?

Not much to update. My hands started bothering me quite a bit during the process and I never picked it back up. I guess I should do that. I had actually forgotten about it.

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you're feeling better...

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options

@Stubble said:
    Hope you're feeling better...

Thanks, they have gotten a lot better. Still a little stiff every now and then but I’m able to use them a lot better.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Update on this Rusty?

Not much to update. My hands started bothering me quite a bit during the process and I never picked it back up. I guess I should do that. I had actually forgotten about it.

In other words, carving a pipe not only will try one's patience, but it is also trying for your hands.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@peter4jc said:

Update on this Rusty?

In other words, carving a pipe not only will try one's patience, but it is also trying for your hands.

It was for me because I was being stubborn and not using any power tools besides a drill. All the cutting I did with a coping saw and sanding by hand.

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Rdp77 said:

@peter4jc said:

Update on this Rusty?

It was for me because I was being stubborn and not using any power tools besides a drill. All the cutting I did with a coping saw and sanding by hand.

Ain't it a beach? I used to paint, hammer, saw, finish sheetrock, lift heavy iron all day, then be able to shoot pool or play darts.

Now?

2 days work and I can hardly wipe my...um...glasses.

For now I’m still able to do the larger more manual labor duties. It’s the smaller more tedious things that get me.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I use one of these on the jewelers bench; much quieter, precise, and durable than a Dremel.
    Edit: oh yeah, the link:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Proxxon-Model-Building-and-Engraving-Set-with-6-Steel-Collets-38515/203459886

• Options

Nice! I’ll have to pick one of these up.