Home General Discussion
Options

Noob- What Cutter and Lighter

LuvBourbonLuvBourbon Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

Hello, new to all of this as a week ago and there seems to be a lot of unknown for me. Could I get a little direction on a recommended cutter and a decent lighter?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options

@Usaf06 said:
    I like a straight cut. You can grab a xikar on cigarauctioneer cheap. I also like a triple or quad torch for lighting and a single torch for touch ups

Thank you sir, I'll check those out.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

Lighter - Vertigo. Cyclone is 8 bucks or less on amazon.. it's a triple flame.

Cutter - palio. You can get them on cigar page 3 for 30. Xikar is nice too but more expensive.

Welcome!

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you have a zippo lighter this insert has proven reliable for me:
    https://www.amazon.com/NEW-VERTIGO-LOTUS-PINPOINT-LIGHTER-CLEAR/dp/B00VXXN0QY/

• Options

@VegasFrank said:
    Lighter - Vertigo. Cyclone is 8 bucks or less on amazon.. it's a triple flame.

Cutter - palio. You can get them on cigar page 3 for 30. Xikar is nice too but more expensive.

Welcome!

Thank you for the recommendations and the welcome.

• Options

@silvermouse said:

I do not but that is very neat!

I've always wanted a zippo.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

2nd Palio. Great cutter and you can get them for $20 or less

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:

Love this thxs Edward

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most reliable lighter I've ever had is the Scorch Torch triple flame. I have two now, the first one is in the RV, just so I'll always have one there. It's about 10 years old, all the paint's worn off, and it's never hiccupped even once. Just refill, and blaze on. I have a Xicar single flame for touch-ups. Only a couple months old, no troubles so far.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    The most reliable lighter I've ever had is the Scorch Torch triple flame. I have two now, the first one is in the RV, just so I'll always have one there. It's about 10 years old, all the paint's worn off, and it's never hiccupped even once. Just refill, and blaze on. I have a Xicar single flame for touch-ups. Only a couple months old, no troubles so far.

Agree. I have a scorch also and it's lit about a thousand sticks for me, no problem. Fifteen bucks full metal jacket, with a fuel window.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whichever lighter and cutter you can afford.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:
    Whichever lighter and cutter you can afford.

I can afford a lot of them but I'm not sure which are actually worth their asking price. I've had some good suggestions though.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LuvBourbon said:
    I can afford a lot of them but I'm not sure which are actually worth their asking price. I've had some good suggestions though.

I use a Savoy brand double guillotine and a punch cutter that is on the bottom of one of my lighters. It just depends on which one I feel like using and the gauge of the cigar. I just wanted to get across that you don't have to get anything fancy right off the bat, because I know folks sometimes feel pressure to do that.

You can't really go wrong looking for advice here, lots of knowledgeable men frequent this forum.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

For outdoors in the cold or wind, I recommend the vertigo Zeus. It has foam inside the tank, and the the only reason I can come up with is so that it lights in the cold. 20° no problems, no warm-ups. I keep it outside on the porch.

It's a single flame but a big single flame so you get precision and volume. It goes through a ton of fuel. I've had two of these crap out on me because all the workings are all plastic, which is the downside, but I get 400 or 500 cigars out of each one.

12 bucks

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@Hobbes86 said:

@LuvBourbon said:

I use a Savoy brand double guillotine and a punch cutter that is on the bottom of one of my lighters. It just depends on which one I feel like using and the gauge of the cigar. I just wanted to get across that you don't have to get anything fancy right off the bat, because I know folks sometimes feel pressure to do that.

You can't really go wrong looking for advice here, lots of knowledgeable men frequent this forum.

@VegasFrank said:
    For outdoors in the cold or wind, I recommend the vertigo Zeus. It has foam inside the tank, and the the only reason I can come up with is so that it lights in the cold. 20° no problems, no warm-ups. I keep it outside on the porch.

It's a single flame but a big single flame so you get precision and volume. It goes through a ton of fuel. I've had two of these crap out on me because all the workings are all plastic, which is the downside, but I get 400 or 500 cigars out of each one.

12 bucks

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

• Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know all of you guys live in the cold weather, but I think it’s worth mentioning that these smaller lighters need to be kept warm or in your pocket in cold weather … many of them do not work as well in temps as low as 40s-50 (unless warned up)… which happens occasionally in SC.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a fan of V cutters and use my Xikar XV2 for almost every cigar. You can't cut off too much of the cap with a V cutter. Some people prefer the Colibri which makes a deeper v cut.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

And remember to use good fuel.

• Options

Cleaning your cutter blades with Isopropyl alcohol periodically helps to get a clean cut of the cap of the cigar without snags.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

I have this bundle in my work jacket
    Chair in my garage
    Tupperware on the boat right next to the first aid kit
    Center console in the suburban
    The cutters are like $2 or $3 and the lighter was a menards bin special also $2 or $3 bucks maybe $1 I can't remember.

• Options

Also, I feel a v-cut keeps loose tobacco from getting in my mouth. I'm easily annoyed when I have to spit out ribbons of tobacco while smoking a cigar.

• Options

What is a menards bin?

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    What is a menards bin?

It's hard to explain, you'd have to see it to believe it. If you come to MKE in June we promise to show you one.

Plus, foam inside a lighter sitting outside doesn't help. Well, maybe if it was inside before going out, the foam would help in the short term.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    edited January 2022

@peter4jc said:

@VegasFrank said:
    What is a menards bin?

It's hard to explain, you'd have to see it to believe it. If you come to MKE in June we promise to show you one.

Plus, foam inside a lighter sitting outside doesn't help. Well, maybe if it was inside before going out, the foam would help in the short term.

Yeah probably so. I always found it curious that the foam was in the tank. Is it to prevent the plastic tank from building up too much pressure because it's big? Seems that I have lighters with much bigger tanks that are probably also plastic.

Who knows? I guess as long as it continues to light when it's cold, that's all I care about.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

my zippo lighter butane replacement has an open-cell foam strip in the secondary chamber that traps any bits than make their way in when one refills. I presume its purpose is to prevent plugged jets.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

BIC FOR THE WIN! The less you spend on accessories them more cigars you can get.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    And remember to use good fuel.

Just so you know, Zippo and Ronson are NOT good fuel. Some of their lighters are good, but not their butane.

I use Lucienne almost exclusively, but there are other good ones.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain