Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar Wrappers

LuvBourbonLuvBourbon Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

I've been reading about the different wrappers used in making cigars.............trying to find what I might like. So far, I haven't really found a real good article that breaks down the flavor profiles of each kind of wrapper.

Are there any cigars out there that use the same filler but different wrappers so I can experience a variety of wrappers without changing the filler or brand?

Comments

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
  • Options

Thanks, I'll be sure to surf through there.

• Options

Try the one I just changed it to. You’ll find what you’re looking for easier.

• Options

@Rdp77 said:
    Try the one I just changed it to. You’ll find what you’re looking for easier.

Appreciate that.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Tatuaje T110 series comes in three different wrappers. These may be a bit strong for your tastes but are a very popular cigar here on the forum. The wrappers are Habano (the original), Reserva Broadleaf, and Capa Especial (Sumatra). Each version boasts the same core of Nicaraguan ligero tobaccos from the Jalapa and Estelí growing regions, offering full-bodied experiences with unique differences from the given wrapper styles. This includes highlights of red pepper and leather with the Habano, bittersweet espresso and black licorice with the Broadleaf, and cinnamon and toasted caramel with the Sumatra.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@Yakster said:
    The Tatuaje T110 series comes in three different wrappers. These may be a bit strong for your tastes but are a very popular cigar here on the forum. The wrappers are Habano (the original), Reserva Broadleaf, and Capa Especial (Sumatra). Each version boasts the same core of Nicaraguan ligero tobaccos from the Jalapa and Estelí growing regions, offering full-bodied experiences with unique differences from the given wrapper styles. This includes highlights of red pepper and leather with the Habano, bittersweet espresso and black licorice with the Broadleaf, and cinnamon and toasted caramel with the Sumatra.

Sounds great!

I'm gonna look for these.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

Lots of luck... They've been out of stock for a bit, and the place that has them wants to sell one each of the three blends along w/ some other sticks (I hate that tactic of marrying some unwanted sticks w/ what you do want, just to get them out of their warehouse).

You may try looking for the Tatuaje Cohetes, as I believe it's the same filler/various wrapper model that Chris mentioned.

Also, while I would never discourage anyone from pursuing the refinement and education of their palate, it'll be very difficult to carry over any insight gained from your experiment. Others will chide and say I'm nuts, but there are too many variables involved w/ tobacco to concretely say "I will like this cigar because it has this wrapper on it". I have a rough idea what a Broadleaf from Connecticut tastes like or a Sumatra wrapper, for example. But, the growing conditions for any plant, the curing it goes through, the aging process/length, how it's married to the binder and filler, and all sorts of considerations, makes it a bit of a fool's errand to get locked in and think we can predict much. Along those lines, I/we/you may have a preferred wrapper, but I have plenty of very close 2nd-place contestants too, and if I get too focused on my favorite (which may be biased by what brand I think I like, time of day, meals I've had, etc) then I will most likely be missing out on much enjoyment. For me, it's just smoke a bunch of stuff, love a handful, dislike a few, enjoy many, without thinking what it's made of.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tatuaje cohetes same thing, a little less strong, and available.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

I didn't realize that the Cohetes came with the same blend and different wrappers. That's a good recommendation.

• Options
    edited January 2022

If it were me I would keep my list of specific cigars...but I would compile a list of types of tobacco I prefer first. Boutique cigars come and go so much that you’ll drive yourself nuts trying to keep certain ones.
    I would figure out what combinations I like best (wrapper, binder, filler) and then it will be easier to decide what to try. A good measuring stick would be AJ’s blends. He doesn’t necessarily specialize in any certain one...but he does all of them pretty damn well. You can get his blends relatively cheap so trying different options won’t break the bank. Figure out those combinations you like best and then start looking into boutique makers that specialize in those combinations.

@LuvBourbon this is from some time ago on another thread. The advice still holds true in my opinion.
    The thread “tobacco insights” might have some good information you’re looking for too

• Options

@peter4jc said:
    Lots of luck... They've been out of stock for a bit, and the place that has them wants to sell one each of the three blends along w/ some other sticks (I hate that tactic of marrying some unwanted sticks w/ what you do want, just to get them out of their warehouse).

You may try looking for the Tatuaje Cohetes, as I believe it's the same filler/various wrapper model that Chris mentioned.

Also, while I would never discourage anyone from pursuing the refinement and education of their palate, it'll be very difficult to carry over any insight gained from your experiment. Others will chide and say I'm nuts, but there are too many variables involved w/ tobacco to concretely say "I will like this cigar because it has this wrapper on it". I have a rough idea what a Broadleaf from Connecticut tastes like or a Sumatra wrapper, for example. But, the growing conditions for any plant, the curing it goes through, the aging process/length, how it's married to the binder and filler, and all sorts of considerations, makes it a bit of a fool's errand to get locked in and think we can predict much. Along those lines, I/we/you may have a preferred wrapper, but I have plenty of very close 2nd-place contestants too, and if I get too focused on my favorite (which may be biased by what brand I think I like, time of day, meals I've had, etc) then I will most likely be missing out on much enjoyment. For me, it's just smoke a bunch of stuff, love a handful, dislike a few, enjoy many, without thinking what it's made of.

yea, that's more or less my experience with cigars as of right now. I have tried a handful of different brands with different wrappers, I haven't had one that I didn't like. I was more so just curious if I could tell any noticeable difference between wrappers. I'm likely just thinking to much into it and should go back to just enjoying what I smoke.

• Options

@Rdp77 said:
    If it were me I would keep my list of specific cigars...but I would compile a list of types of tobacco I prefer first. Boutique cigars come and go so much that you’ll drive yourself nuts trying to keep certain ones.
    I would figure out what combinations I like best (wrapper, binder, filler) and then it will be easier to decide what to try. A good measuring stick would be AJ’s blends. He doesn’t necessarily specialize in any certain one...but he does all of them pretty damn well. You can get his blends relatively cheap so trying different options won’t break the bank. Figure out those combinations you like best and then start looking into boutique makers that specialize in those combinations.

@LuvBourbon this is from some time ago on another thread. The advice still holds true in my opinion.
    The thread “tobacco insights” might have some good information you’re looking for too

Good idea, I should get a small notebook that I can write notes and keep track of what I liked and didn't like. Then..........maybe someday, I might have some sort of idea as to what my go to combo is. That could take a good long time to figure that out, lol.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's always good to know what we like, and why, and then balance that with simply enjoying it.

@jgibv, who has been AWOL for a while, used to have a jar for the bands of cigars he liked so he knew what to look for when the time came to buy more.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:

Very true, and good advice. Another consideration, the cigar you think is the epitome of what you're looking for today may not seem the same to you in a few years. Taste changes over time. Once upon a time I smoked about 50% Connecticut wrapped cigars. These days, it's rare for me to smoke a Connie at all.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

^-This. Some days I really enjoy a mild but complex cigar and other days I like something really strong.

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pay attention to what you smoke. Its too easy to smoke something because it was on sale or someone else liked it, and you don't even know what you are smoking. I am not into flavors or tasting notes, but I keep a spreadsheet where I keep track of the cigars I smoke. Blender, factory, wrapper, binder, filler, thoughts on cigar. Then I can go back and sort by wrapper or factory and see what I tend to like.

• Options

@rsherman24 said:
    Pay attention to what you smoke. Its too easy to smoke something because it was on sale or someone else liked it, and you don't even know what you are smoking. I am not into flavors or tasting notes, but I keep a spreadsheet where I keep track of the cigars I smoke. Blender, factory, wrapper, binder, filler, thoughts on cigar. Then I can go back and sort by wrapper or factory and see what I tend to like.

That's a great idea, I'm gonna have to do this.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    It's always good to know what we like, and why, and then balance that with simply enjoying it.

@jgibv, who has been AWOL for a while, used to have a jar for the bands of cigars he liked so he knew what to look for when the time came to buy more.

I've heard of guys keeping two jars. One good one bad.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@peter4jc said:

I've heard of guys keeping two jars. One good one bad.

I remember cigars I don't like, way easier than I can pick a favorite.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.