Home General Discussion
Options

New Overflow Storage

Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just picked up a couple Apache waterproof camera cases from Harbor Freight. One is my new long-term storage and the other is my new travel tupperdor.

Old long-term storage and overflow:

New long-term storage and overflow, plus travel tupperdor:

If I got bombed one more time I would have out of luck with the old overflow storage. Now I am sitting pretty! :)

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the handle for portability... which one's coming with you to MKE?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@Rdp77 said:
    I give it less than a week. You need more storage. Coolers are a good option to look into.

I looked at a few coolers at Cabelas that I liked, but these were priced better and seemed more portable.

I am wondering if I should seek out any spanish cedar to put in there. Not sure how helpful it would be considering the modern practices of beetle prevention the factories and farms use being so good these days.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Break apart a box if you must

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

San Cristobal and a few others put a flimsy sheet of Spanish Cedar in their boxes. Use those.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@Jrflickster said:

I had this thought as well, but I am also aware that many cigar boxes aren't spanish cedar anymore. I don't know if the ones I have are or not.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:

@Jrflickster said:

I had this thought as well, but I am also aware that many cigar boxes aren't spanish cedar anymore. I don't know if the ones I have are or not.

A lot of times there is a block of wood inside the box that is used as a spacer. It is generally Spanish cedar. But I wouldn’t worry too much about it….especially before you get your bigger cooler.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if they're not Spanish cedar, it's likely that they are Spanish cedar plywood, which is just as good.

Even if they're not that, if a reputable manufacturer is going to put their boxes in cigars, Black label excluded patrick, then the wood is fine to stick in the box.

I have that big one from harbor freight also. Good box. I left the bottom layer of foam in mine and the smallest layer of foam that I could have all over the sides. Just so they don't bang around since the box is portable. Remember to close the vent!

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

@VegasFrank said:
    Even if they're not Spanish cedar, it's likely that they are Spanish cedar plywood, which is just as good.

Even if they're not that, if a reputable manufacturer is going to put their boxes in cigars, Black label excluded patrick, then the wood is fine to stick in the box.

I have that big one from harbor freight also. Good box. I left the bottom layer of foam in mine and the smallest layer of foam that I could have all over the sides. Just so they don't bang around since the box is portable. Remember to close the vent!

Should Black Label boxes not go in coolers then?

Well done Ian, you've gotten two travel humidors, save yourself the trouble and see below.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

I just cleaned out my overflow boxes, got rid of five or six cigar boxes, so I'll send you a couple cedar sheets.

Here's my cigar overflow, IRIS 62 quart weathertight crates, Home Depot seems to have the best price for these. The Wife vetoed coolers.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

You certainly have far more than I do, Chris. Thanks for thinking of me in regards to those cedar sheets, I appreciate your generosity.

• Options

@TheKraken said:

@VegasFrank said:

Well done Ian, you've gotten two travel humidors, save yourself the trouble and see below.

How important is it to get a cooler with a rubber seal? This one looks a lot like a cooler I have in my basement that does not have a rubber seal.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

☝️ This does not include my humidor or my cigar fridge.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@Yakster said:

What you have just might be a glimpse into my future, Chris.

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:

@TheKraken said:

@VegasFrank said:

How important is it to get a cooler with a rubber seal? This one looks a lot like a cooler I have in my basement that does not have a rubber seal.

The whole concept is to keep stable humidity and temperature for the longest possible time. A rubber seal will help do that better than otherwise.

You can always test your cooler you have for a few weeks to see if it will keep stable before making a decision. Digital hygrometers are fairly inexpensive and pretty accurate.

• Options

@Yakster said:

Good save brother

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheKraken said:

@VegasFrank said:

@Patrickbrick claims that their boxes smell like paint straight from the factory.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, they sure do. I still store the smokes in the box, but I take the box cellophane off right away. Or as some would say open, inspect, and store.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

Thanks for the heads up, ill have to check mine

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

Been using a Coleman marine cooler without a rubber seal for storage, ,holds 65% as well as my tupperdores. Mine is a smaller one ,64 qt? that has a latch which might help.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

@Bob_Luken
    Thanks for pointing that out, Bob.