Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

5 pack deal, 2 picks for $40... Old and stale?

Twice now I have bought into the two 5-packs for $39.99, which to me seemed like a spectacular value, and both times I have found that, although the sticks themselves are fantastic brands, they have arrived old and dried out. They have no weight to them (with the exception of Man o' War Damnation, which retains its mass). The QC tags on them are over a year old. I have tried to re-humidify them but have had no luck. When I clip the ends, they crack, and they burn down too fast because they have no moisture. Does that happen a lot with that deal? Such a disappointment.

Comments

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

@PipeCat said:
    Twice now I have bought into the two 5-packs for $39.99, which to me seemed like a spectacular value, and both times I have found that, although the sticks themselves are fantastic brands, they have arrived old and dried out. They have no weight to them (with the exception of Man o' War Damnation, which retains its mass). The QC tags on them are over a year old. I have tried to re-humidify them but have had no luck. When I clip the ends, they crack, and they burn down too fast because they have no moisture. Does that happen a lot with that deal? Such a disappointment.

From where? Did you reach out to their Customer Service? I've literally had about two problems and both were taken care of immediately.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are a problem @Vision

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you remove them from the packs? How long did you allow them to humidify?
    “Contact us” at bottom of every web page will put you in contact with someone that can fix the issue.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @Rdp77 said:

Did you remove them from the packs? How long did you allow them to humidify?
    “Contact us” at bottom of every web page will put you in contact with someone that can fix the issue.

Mind blown

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PipeCat said:

Yeah, websites are doing this all the time, trying to move their old dried-out stale smokes. They don't care if you never come back, they just want to unload their crap. LOL

Some cigars seem light and yet are fine. Weight in your hand is meaningless.
    How did you go about trying to re-humidify? How long?
    Cracks when cutting has more than one culprit.
    Some cigars burn faster than others.

Don't know if you're a rookie or not, and not saying you don't know what you're doing. Just asking you to look beyond your initial assumption.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jrflickster said:
    You are a problem @Vision

I never said what the two were.....

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:

@PipeCat said:

Yeah, websites are doing this all the time, trying to move their old dried-out stale smokes. They don't care if you never come back, they just want to unload their crap. LOL

Some cigars seem light and yet are fine. Weight in your hand is meaningless.
    How did you go about trying to re-humidify? How long?
    Cracks when cutting has more than one culprit.
    Some cigars burn faster than others.

Don't know if you're a rookie or not, and not saying you don't know what you're doing. Just asking you to look beyond your initial assumption.

Indeed, @PipeCat ,you aren't giving nearly as much pertinent information as you probably think you are.
    I have also wondered at times whether the on sale cigars were possibly old and in need of resuscitation. So I make sure to give them 1 to 4 months in the proper environment prior to smoking.
    We don't know you, so we don't know if you held them over a pot of steaming water, or what. We also don't know what you mean by fantastic brands. 5-Vegas? Padron? Gurkha? Davidoff? Big difference to us between those.
    Cool avatar.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

A stale cigar is an interesting descriptor. I've never heard that term used with cigars before.

He probably just means dried out. If they are all dried out, then keeping them in the outer cellophane will cause them to take more time to properly humidify. You can test your cigars to see if they are too dry by lightly squeezing the cap. If you hear breakage and crinkling, it's too dry. Put it down and smoke something else for a few weeks.

Also take them out of that fiver packaging. Leave the cellophane on the individual cigars. Be patient.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll occasionally smoke one ROTT, but generally give them 90 days rest in the humidor.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.